The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 03-03-2018, 06:16 PM   #1
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Exclamation GLC Role Playing Game

The Green Lantern Corps had returned from the brink once again. Their numbers had finally returned, the Guardians of the Universe were back in control, and Oa was once again orbiting a star in sector 0. Mogo, former home base of the GLC and sentient planet Lantern, was also still in sector zero and served as a new training grounds for the rookies in the Corps after taking a smaller form to conserve his energies. The Honor Guard was now headed up by John Stewart and Guy Gardner of sector 2814, and currently helping Lanterns within a ten sector radius deal with a family of Sun Eaters. The city of alien structures around the Central Power Battery was now called New Maltus, and thousands of alien refugees from destroyed planets and star systems had been offered residence. These refugees worked in restaurants, clothing stores, the Corps apartment complexes, etc. and kept the GLC honest. Some six hundred or so Lanterns stationed on Oa had even moved their families there.

The city of New Maltus, on the planet Oa.

On Mogo the Corps was trained under senior Lanterns Kilowog and Stel. Mogo had been sized down to conserve energy, but had the ability to change his geography, weather conditions, and other things including creating a race of aliens for the Corps to train against. The Bore Beasts varied in size but were much better to train against than other Lanterns or constructs. Aside from the roughly six hundred Lanterns stationed somewhere on Oa, the rest of the Corps actively patrolled the more inhabited sectors in the 3,600 sectors of the universe. There were sector houses throughout the universe, roughly one for every ten sectors or so. In order for the Guardians’ agents to better serve in their assigned duties, these structures were created and shaped like Green Lanterns’ power batteries which were used to hold captives in custody in order to be brought to Oa for confinement in a Sciencell. They also served as recreational centers as well as meeting places for Green Lanterns of the neighboring sectors. A warning system within these buildings notified the ring bearers of any troubles within the sector. Think of it like a space station apartment complex with an Oan rec room somewhere and holding cells.

The sentient planet GL, MOGO!

The role-play would begin with players either stationed on Oa, training on Mogo with ‘Wog and Stel, or off patrolling their own sectors. If we do this stat based, only the larger battles would include the stat system.

What's going to be different about this RP?

Where games in the past have revolved around Lanterns from the rest of the spectrum, this will solely be about GREEN Lanterns. I'm also going to make some microhero bases (and I know... not everybody's a fan) so folks can copy/paste parts to create their own Lanterns if they want. Enemies will be both cannon characters, reimagined cannons, as well as originals. And players are encouraged to tell adventures about their Lanterns in their home sectors. There will be over-arching plots as well as individual stories being told.

There's a few different routes we could take from a story standpoint, and plenty to discuss, and I'm open to any suggestions. I'm going to put this out there to an RP community I'm part of on another site and link them here to try and get some new members on the forums, as well as old faces like Shingo, Maverick, and Murdock if I can get them on Facebook.

Do you have the willpower?!

- Ω

Last edited by Ωmega Man; 04-08-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:46 PM   #2
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Here’s a quick breakdown of the system, basically a simplified D&D set-up. These would only be important for rank, power levels, and in-battle. Depending on what you want for your GL's you could start at Level 1, 2, or 3 stats.

The stats for this game will include:

I.Q. - (how strong your characters are mentally, for example Brainiac would have a pretty high I.Q. where a rookie's would be less. Average human/alien would be 2.) IQ will determine if your Signature move is worth double [IQ set at 1-5] or triple [IQ set at 6-10] hp.

Strength - (1-5 has -1 damage, 6-10 has -2 damage) Average human strength would be set at 2, only characters with heightened or super strength should increase higher! EDIT: However, one could view your strength as the strength of your attacks!

Speed - (1-3 has 3 attacks per post, 4-7 has 4 attacks available, 8-10 has 5 attacks) Speed NOW also effects Defense in the same way Attack is effected by Strength. 1-5 speed regains +1 health, 6-10 is +2 health.

Attack - (number of attacks) Players will have melee attacks that are not included on your attack stat including basic punches and kicks, a ring blast, and alien tail swipes or bites. Attack is for things like construct hammers, throw, generic alien powers like acid spit, etc...

Defense – (number of defense moves) Each defensive move can be used twice per battle. If your defense is 2 and the battle lasts 4 posts you can use 4 defense moves. If the battle rages on for 7 posts you are still limited to only 4 defensive moves total in that case. Defense can't block a signature attack!

Health - (IQ+strength+speed+defense) Health is also reset every 8 posts or during time skips in-game!

*Signature moves awarded at Level 3 do double or triple damage depending on IQ. The attack/defense itself should include your alien ability. The only defense against a signature attack is a signature defense that can also be a move based on your alien ability. Signature Defense is also the only defense you can use to help another player directly in-game from an enemy attack be it a regular attack or signature attack! At the moment you can only have one or the other, Signature Attack or Signature Defense.

Now... that's not a lot of info at all really. As far as stats go, I know once you have 6 points on strength some of you might ask "what's the point of having strength or speed any higher?" and the simple answer is writing limitations. If a character like Superman has 6 strength and a God like Zeus walks by with a strength of 8, in the context of the story Zeus would of course be viewed as stronger. Same thing applies for speed.

Power Class - you earn a stat point/level for every 5 posts in-character.

Level 1 - 16 points - 1-5 posts
Level 2 - 17 points - 6-10 posts
Level 3 - 18 points (plus signature attack or defense!) - 11-15 posts
Level 4 - 19 points - 16-20 posts
Level 5 - 20 points - 21-25 posts
Level 6 - 21 points - 26-30 posts
Level 7 - 22 points - 31-35 posts
Level 8 - 23 points - 36-40 posts
Level 9 - 24 points - 41-45 posts
Level 10 - 25 points 46-50 posts

If the game lasts long enough, and it might, we'll go beyond Level 10 and probably continue on to Level 15. Boss stats will be Level 15 to Level 20 with stats between 30-35 points making a team effort to defeat the enemy a must.

Since stats won't be the only aspect of the RP, players can go ahead and make Character Sheets for this with a few more details. Think of it like a Secret Files and Origins file.

Name:
Sector:
Experience: [how long have you been a ring slinger?]
Home Planet:
Former Occupation:
Age: [aliens age can be an estimate like dog or cat years, age slower, etc.]
Constructs Best Known For: [if any]
Additional Power or Ability:
Appearance:
BRIEF Bio:
Notes:

----------

- Ω

Last edited by Ωmega Man; 04-06-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:29 PM   #3
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

*raises hand*

will there be donuts (apple crumb, preferably) shared about while this gets planned?

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:30 PM   #4
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I have a dozen Dunkin' Donuts, so I s'pose.

Lantern Murdock said he was down to return to the RP if he can figure out his password to log back in!

Anybody else? I haven't made an interest check on the other RP site yet but over the weekend I should have it up and a few more people checking this place out. I'll also have the first batch of bases for folks to create a visual for their GL's...

- Ω

Last edited by Ωmega Man; 03-29-2018 at 02:04 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:12 PM   #5
Tazer

Yo.

*donuts.....CONFIRMED*

*takes a seat*

ok, so how do we this (its been AWHILE since I did any rp-via-msgboard)?

Tazer

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:24 PM   #6
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Definitely interested. Been trying to get the right system and story together for this for about two years now
Old 03-10-2018, 01:28 PM   #7
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
Yo.

*donuts.....CONFIRMED*

*takes a seat*

ok, so how do we this (its been AWHILE since I did any rp-via-msgboard)?

Tazer

Essentially this is a large fanfic with several writers speaking from the point of view of their characters. There will be room to tell your own stories from your own sector, as well as team up with other players for larger missions connected to the larger overarching story. On the other RP site I frequent I generally shoot for Casual Standard posts, meaning good spelling and grammar with at least a paragraph or two and some dialogue. However if enough of you are into the dumb'ed down D&D like stat system I created then battles in-game would be a lot more fun and *looks around* ACTUALLY game like... In past RP's on the other site I gave folks different options when their health stat got low: falling in battle and getting captured, running away, calling for back-up, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
Definitely interested. Been trying to get the right system and story together for this for about two years now
After one of my last stat based RP's on the RP Guild I fine tuned the stat system I mentioned earlier to make the whole thing a lot more well rounded. The only thing that sucks is I'd have to go back and resave a TON of images for the stat cards I created for the villains and players to show it to you guys and it make any sense. It was actually based on a new Legion of Superheroes. I'll go ahead and link you guys and if you'd like to read through how the game flowed, the battles played out, etc. you still can. I'll just upload a couple of the old stat cards later.

https://www.roleplayerguild.com/topi...oes-return/ooc

My stat system is basically simple addition and subtraction. A player's strength stat effects their attacks, where speed effects the number of attacks per post as well as their defense stat. IQ (which would likely be replaced with Willpower like the old stat based RPs) now effect how much your signature attack or signature defense is worth. Signature moves are awarded at Level 3 in-game (after the player makes 15 posts) and are worth double your health points. If the IQ/Willpower stat is high enough... it could be worth triple health points.

As far as story.... I got nothing. I'd thought about Atrocitus spearheading a new Empire of Tears I just haven't got into it much. The main idea is to stay away from sector 2814 and using people from Earth (though humanoids from other planets are fine), as well as staying away from the rainbow spectrum of other Lanterns.

I'll post some of the stat cards from that game when photobucket lets me view my older stuff. Half of the images are that photobucket500 image even in my library of pics

- Ω

Last edited by Ωmega Man; 03-29-2018 at 02:03 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:17 PM   #8
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Here's my last updated stat card for that Legion game I linked and also one of the enemies we faced (I think there were 5 of them in-game just numbered 1-5). I should also mention on that site they have tabs at the top of the thread to view the In-Character (IC) thread, the Out Of Character (OOC) thread, as well as a Character tab.

- Ω

Old 03-10-2018, 09:36 PM   #9
Lantern Murdock 2814
Green Lantern

Send a message via Yahoo to Lantern Murdock 2814

I'm definitely in.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:52 AM   #10
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I think for story-purposes I'm gonna go with a precog GL from Naltor.

- Ω

Old 03-11-2018, 03:06 PM   #11
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.

Not played one of these in quite a while, can't remember how ones in the past have gone. Might be interested, but I can't make any promises, especially considering how I rarely go on here these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:53 PM   #12
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Currently I have roughly 40+ alien looking heads to work with to build your own GL's that I've been recoloring. Some of you may recognize a species or two from Star Trek or Star Wars but I gotta go with what's out there. As far as body types and suits....

I have 23 different body types that will each have at least two different styles of uniform each. One design will be closer to a Corps standard while the other will be different to an extent. I've got 3 or 4 types of badge hammered out too ranging from the standard, to one in a black circle, the Jim Lee/Ion symbol, as well as a symbol removed from the circle. So anybody checking this out is gonna have a ton of fun making their own Green Lantern. I'm gonna try and finish the iCheck on the other forum tonight and get it posted... so hopefully we have an incoming of new posters soon!

- Ω

Last edited by Ωmega Man; 03-29-2018 at 02:02 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:28 AM   #13
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Create your own GL in MSPaint or Photoshop! Choose a head, a badge, a mask if you want... then choose from the various body types and suit designs to make your own unique GL for the RP. Just copy and paste the parts you want to use together, recolor the bodies if you'd like [the color scheme is in the image with the badges, every suit uses the same shades of green, black, and white!] and go nuts.

Here's also a link where I go for several hair pieces, coats, accessories, etc.

https://sites.google.com/site/wicketharley/home

WARNING: If you get an 'Adult Content' warning it's because the base micros are flesh colored on the site and some have nipples... It's nothing to worry about.

So who's ready for this?

- Ω

Last edited by Ωmega Man; 03-30-2018 at 02:57 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:41 PM   #14
Tazer

Yo.

oh boy, sch-weet!! Ima get on that this wk-end and see wat kinda horror show I can come up with.....

Tazer

Quote:
Old 03-17-2018, 07:03 PM   #15
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I edited the basic set-up in the opening post that I also posted on that other RP forum, as well as the stat breakdowns in the second post [cause this forum doesn't have the hider format like the other site]. Your Lantern could be a rookie still training on Mogo and begin with Level 1 stats, a seasoned Lantern with Level 2 stats stationed on Oa or one of the 3,600 sectors, or a veteran and/or Honor Guard with Level 3 stats.

So far the list of NPC's includes Kilowog, Stel, John Stewart, Guy Gardner, and of course the Guardians.

- Ω

Last edited by Ωmega Man; 03-29-2018 at 02:01 AM. Reason: putting more '- Ω' in my posts
Old 03-22-2018, 09:29 PM   #16
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

If we do decide this will be a stat based RP (I've honestly got a way to make it work with both simultaneously) I've reworked the old Legion stat card to come up with something for this.

Gave the image part a background if you guys wanna put your micro GLs on there. If not you can just take a picture from the web and put in the space.

I've got two folks from the other forums registered here so far, anybody else watching this or in the process of making a Lantern?

EDIT: Also in the interest of getting more people involved, more humanoid human looking alien bases will be posted with several more new costume options. If anyone would like to start giving us details about their GL's I'll have the basics for my guy from Naltor sometime this weekend!

- Ω

Last edited by Ωmega Man; 03-29-2018 at 02:01 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:16 AM   #17
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Finished my GL for the RP...

I'll be posting more humanoids/human sized folks with various takes on the color breaks, hoods, etc. as well as linking to one of the sites I go to for bits and accessories as well as hair pieces...

- Ω
Old 03-24-2018, 01:43 PM   #18
Ripple
Corps Recruit

wassup y'all

just wondering Omega, what are the max stats for each stat? like maybe on a scale of 1-10? also i'm in a week long vacation so apologies if i'm still in the create-a-character phase. because i'm not that skilled, can i pm you in discord to ask your help for my character?

EDIT: WAAAHH SORRY WASN'T READING I KNOW IT NOW LOOOOOOOOOL

Last edited by Ripple; 03-24-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Ripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:13 PM   #19
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripple View Post
wassup y'all

just wondering Omega, what are the max stats for each stat? like maybe on a scale of 1-10? also i'm in a week long vacation so apologies if i'm still in the create-a-character phase. because i'm not that skilled, can i pm you in discord to ask your help for my character?

EDIT: WAAAHH SORRY WASN'T READING I KNOW IT NOW LOOOOOOOOOL
PM me here or on Discord either one! Yeah the stats stuff would be in the second post. Just depends on if you want a rookie (Level 1 stats), a seasoned GL (Level 2 stats), or an Honor Guard/older Lantern (Level 3 stats w/Signature move) with a good bit of exp.

EDIT: I added more humanoid bases loosely based on Hal's different looks as well as Kyle's.

- Ω

Last edited by Ωmega Man; 03-24-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:37 AM   #20
???
Corps Recruit

First of all, this is my first post on the site so it's a pleasure to meet all of you that I don't know.

Second of all, you know I'm interested Omega. Kinda new to your stat-based games, seen you mention them before but I haven't really been in any. So I might come to you for help if you don't mind.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:04 AM   #21
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ??? View Post
First of all, this is my first post on the site so it's a pleasure to meet all of you that I don't know...
You came because of Omega's RPG? That's great. Maybe it'll be a new way to inject some life in the board. When you have a minute, stop by the Introduce yourself forum, click on the "New thread" button up top and say hi to the board all proper like. In the mean time, welcome.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:47 AM   #22
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Added more humanoid bases inspired by Guy and John's suits. I also JUST added some smaller badges for some of the dwarfish aliens or for anybody needing a smaller badge to make it off center like some of Kyle Rayner's suits.

If ANYBODY needs help with stats, has any questions, etc. just give me a yell. I check in pretty much daily...

- Ω
Old 03-31-2018, 04:02 PM   #23
Lantern Pano
Corps Recruit

Just realized I never put any official interest here. Can't wait for this thing to get going! Here's my dude so far, I'm probably gonna be changing some things around on his app but that's generally what he's gonna be like.
Lantern Pano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:26 PM   #24
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Is...is that a mouth on his chest?!
Old 04-02-2018, 04:24 AM   #25
Lantern Pano
Corps Recruit

Heck yeah it is.
Lantern Pano is offline   Reply With Quote