Where did v4 go wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did v4 go wrong?

the title says it all I know everyone has their own opinion on when and why so lets hear it.

By retconning all of Green Lantern history, over and over again. It started with Rebirth, and has been a runaway freight train ever since. (Slowed down somewhat in the past year, though.)
    The last fan of 1990s comics
    Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

Was rebirth all that bad? We needed some explanation for HALs insanity and parallax turn....I loved it for a long time that Hal went evil but it was out of the blue and it was about time for the character to come back and I though johns did it in a good way with the retcons being explained properly....it was only later that his retcons werent explained and didnt make sense.

Comment

The big mistake was not rebooting Green Lantern along with the rest of the DCU.

Comment

Loved Rebirth. Best time I've had reading comics since I was a kid almost 30 years ago.

Volume 4 started out kind of slow for me, to be honest. I think it really started to work when they did that one year later story with Hal and his friends being captured because Hal didn't have his ring. The jump ahead helped get through some of the tedious aspects of rebuilding the Corps and Coast City. I'd say from there until after #25 were amazing.

And even from #25 until about #40 it was really good. Right after the Agent Orange and Red Lanterns stories were done I think it was clear we were going downhill, as much as I was in denial about it. Blackest Night was kind of cool when it started, but I was burned out before it was halfway done. By the time Blackest Night finished, we were in full cheesy Power Rangers Care Bears crap mode, and Johns' transformation from the savior of the silver and golden age favorites to the Michael Bay of comics was complete.

Comment

I would not say Vol 4 went wrong. Could it have been better? Sure,but As Green Lantern runs go. I would dare say it was proably the most comercially sucessful Green Lantern run.

That said. There is always room for improvement. Johns said that GL was like the Star Wars trilogy,and I agree the last part seems to be everyones least favorite. I think that Stand Alone issues would have been nice. Let's not tie everything into everything. I know that's hot with moderen story telling,but now it feels cleche'. Focus, Start a story end a story,it seems like every story I wanted to here more about,was glossed over or forgtten all together.

VOL 4 brought new meaning to event fatuige.
            Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
              That's for the "Where did v5 go wrong?" thread.
              The last fan of 1990s comics
              Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

Blackest Night. That's when the emotional spectrum took over.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                  Yeah, it should have been rebooted.

Comment

Originally posted by Spy Smasher View Post
                    Blackest Night. That's when the emotional spectrum took over.
                    You said it before I could.

I dropped GL after BN, and didn't pick it back up until Johns left.

Comment

Originally posted by myuserid View Post
                      You said it before I could.

I dropped GL after BN, and didn't pick it back up until Johns left.
                      You should have waited a little longer.lol Venditti is not knocking it out of the park.

Comment

I could handle Hal Jordan's return with Rebirth. I could handle GLC 2.0 with Recharge. What I couldn't handle was making the "other three" human GLs into "just" GLs. Kyle's ring became like just the others, Guy Gardner lost Ice and almost never returned to Earth, and John Stewart also got sucked into space. There could be no Earth GL other than Hal Jordan. Guy lost his Vuldarian powers permanently.

I actually liked the Color Spectrum and Blackest Night. Brightest Day was an ultimate disappointment, as the white power was never truly defined, and once again, Hal Jordan became the center spotlight in the final issues. Blah on Hal Jordan. Sinestro should have stayed the White Lantern, with the whole "Deadman as White Lantern" storyline was pathetic and pointless. The same with the "chosen" Whites, from Captain Boomerang to Jade.

The whole GLC with Mongul and the Black Mercy? A Total Waste of Time. It was what? Six issues? And the Sinestro Corps member stealing GL's offspring. Another waste of time before Blackest Night. Those kinds of stories make readers drop comic books.

V4 ended with War of the GLs and Krona - Krona! - being the Big Bad in the storyline. Talk about overdone. Ala Appa Asa would have been a better villain. The Earth GLs wearing other rings was actually good. Which made the ending - Hal Jordan losing his ring, and Sinestro getting it instead, totally bogus. Inscrutable Guardians of the Universe make for lousy leaders, and opened the door for the Third Army.

If Kyle had stayed an "independent" GL, with a unique ring, instead of the pass to Sodam Yat with Ion, if Hal hadn't been left on Earth by himself, if Guy had been allowed to have a good, lasting relationship with Tora (instead of the on-again, off-again we see with Carol Ferris and Hal Jordan), if John Stewart wasn't forgotten so often, V4 would have been a lot better. You can keep the Stewart-Fatality romance, Larfleeze as an actual villain instead of a cosmic joke, the Blue Lanterns as a growing force, the Reds as a threat, the Purples' storyline almost unchanged, the Yellows under Arkillo, etc.

But no. We had to "break the rules, you've NEVER seen the Green Lanterns like THIS!" every summer since 2009. A pox on high-school educated comic book editors. V4 had some of the greatest storylines possible, and they still messed it up.

One last word: Ganthet becoming the Blue Lantern Guardian with Sayd, only to lose Sayd to Larfleeze and being forced to become a GL Guardian again? Completely pointless. Both should have stayed with the BLC, period.

Comment

Originally posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
                          You should have waited a little longer.lol Venditti is not knocking it out of the park.
                          I've enjoyed Venditti's run so far much better than Geoff Johns.

Though I wish he would do away with the light brights.

Comment

Venditti may accomplish the impossable task of driving me away from the book. It is good some one is digging it. I have alot ridding on Sinestro Corps. If the first 3 issues don't catch me I am just going to leave comics as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by jhpace1 View Post
                              ...A pox on high-school educated comic book editors...
                              You'd prefer drop-outs?

Comment

Working...
                              X