No announcement yet.

Green Lantern #21 *Preview/Spoilers*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know women are crazy, have had one for 19 years but give it a break already. Can we have them not fight for once? As far as Hal destroying the orange constructs I don't think it's his "power" but rather something to do with Relic changing the corps spectrum limits and how they interact with one another.

Comment

Originally posted by sinostrius View Post
      As far as Hal destroying the orange constructs I don't think it's his "power" but rather something to do with Relic changing the corps spectrum limits and how they interact with one another.
      Oh, I like that theory. Perhaps we're seeing the same thing affect Larfleeze as later messes with the GL batteries?

Comment

I dig that idea, too! It would make a lot of sense...
        The last fan of 1990s comics
        Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

Right. That would give a good story reason for this somewhat out of the blue Larfleeze attack.
          ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Did anyone else notice in the backup Channel 52 News thing they stated a Blue Lantern ring could super charge any Corps' ring?

"The Blue Lanterns represent the power of hope, and are believed to somehow amplify the powers of other lanterns around them, no matter which Corps they're from."
            When did that happen?
            I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Lantern A-train View Post
              Did anyone else notice in the backup Channel 52 News thing they stated a Blue Lantern ring could super charge any Corps' ring?
              When did that happen?
              Who knows? They are supposed to DRAIN yellow rings that are nearby, IIRC.

Comment

That's what I remember as well.
                I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Lantern A-train View Post
                  When did that happen?
                  New 52!

*retch*
                  The last fan of 1990s comics
                  Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

I read it last night. I thought the story, warts and all, was a LOT better than the shit the previous writer had been shoveling every month for the last few years. And the art was a big step down for me (I really liked Mahnke), but it was still good.

I wanted to roll my eyes at the Hal/Carol scene. Like some of you guys, I've read it a million times before. But in reality, a scene like this needed to happen. The writer needed a way to separate the two of them for a while. Hal and Carol have always been about WANTING to be together; they're never quite as good when they actually ARE together. This was needed exposition on how they are together but apart for another period of time while not looking ludicrous when they reunite here and there.

I was seriously getting pissed at the individual power batteries being empty. Is this some new retconned status quo? Was this an effect of the Guardians being gone? (not sure how since Johns retconned away that the Guardians' bodies carried the green power that fed the CPB that in turn fed the individual power batteries.). Was their personal batteries being empty a surprise to the GLs in this issue? If so and it's part of the CPB being empty then I'm on board as it could be cool in a story. I guess the jaded fanboy in me keeps looking to see if the new writers has read up on and gets the mythos. I don't really want to see noob mistakes. We had enough of that with the last writer, and he KNEW his stuff (he just didn't care, but I digress). At least right out the gate I wasn't subjected to any real stupidity.

All in all this was a huge improvement over what we had. I think it's going to only get better as the new teams gets comfortable on the book. I'm going to sit back and give them every chance to impress me.

Comment

Also, I 'm really tired of this bit where one of the human lanterns does something NOBODY has ever done before. Jesus Christ, that has gotten old!

Nobody has EVER killed a Guardian, until now! (or the other time you forgot to mention)

Nobody has the willpower to do that! Oh wait! They do now!

Nobody can break one of these colored constructs!

Nobody can heal this person!

"If I just pour on the will power--like NEVER-before!!!!"

Then bam, they do something that NO other lantern can do. Except they all can.

Hal, John, Kyle, and even Baz Fucking Somon of all people have been used like this in a story. They do this from time to time with ALL of the human GLs, and it's happening more and more lately.

Like reilly2040 said above, when did being a skilled GL stop being enough? Why can't Hal trick his opponents or kick their ass? Why can't John think his way out of a problem?

Comment

I'll admit that recently Johns had gotten redundant but he was the best thing to happen to Green Lantern in the last 15-20 years. Most new GL fans wouldnt be here if it werent his ideas. I was pissed when I was a kid what Twilight did to Hal and Green Lantern in general. I hated Kyle and left the book for the following 2-3 years. I came back around the time John was in the Darkstars and ended up liking Kyle then years later Rebirth happened. Now we have what we have today and its great.
                        I think where Johns went wrong was he made everything so big so fast and the stories were great but I think it got to big for him to write consistently and keep things straight. He lost his ability to add new exciting stuff without contradicting himself. The last arc was a cluster f?($ because he saw the end coming and because he wanted to jump ship and tried to cram it all into so few issues. I'm happy with the differnt Corps and glad they were created and now that Johns is gone I see another cluster coming because in the 1st issue Hal and Carol are back to the same boring bs that plagued the last few runs and with the new 52 there gonna change change what was already written and slowly unravel the new post Rebirth mythos.
                        sinostrius
                        Kyle's Nude Model
                        Last edited by sinostrius; 06-06-2013, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RandomGuy View Post
                          For those who don't like the Hal & Carol scenes.

You obviously haven't had enough experience with a girlfriend or wife, huh?

A lot of women (not all) tend to not be able to let things go.

You could just get out of the hospital from surgery and they will still want to finish the argument in the car accident that put you there.

I say it's great writing. They must have a wife at home, lol.
                          There's a stereotype. How about Carol Ferris puts away all that "I'm a businesswoman in charge of a Fortune 1000 company" and "I can only trust Hal when he's not wearing the ring and has human limits"? Pre-52 Carol Ferris as Star Sapphire put Hal Jordan and the entire Corps through the ringer, and killed John Stewart's first wife (from Sinestro's planet). Now she wants Hal Jordan to have a regular 9-to-5 job, hold down a mortgage, and always be there for her on time with dates?

The writers need to decide if Carol Ferris is a businesswoman with Ferris Aircraft or a Star Sapphire. Obviously her character doesn't have enough depth for both, and 12 GL issues a year has her away from Earth as a Star Sapphire too much to hold down a business. Kara (Power Girl) in the World's Finest comics has far fewer psychological hang-ups running a business and being a superheroine at the same time.

This is my major complaint about pre-52 DC and DC 52new: show me a single successful long-term marriage or heterosexual relationship in any comic book. Pre-52 we might have held up Alan Scott and his family, but nu52 blew that to smithereens. Kyle's had four girlfriends, and if you squeeze that down to the "5 years before" rule in the nu52, that's barely a year for each one so far (Jade doesn't even exist any more!). And what the writers did to Clark Kent and Lois Lane...

Either the Star Sapphires need to be females who lost their great love, as it looked like it was going to be when the Sapphire rings started in Blackest Night, or Carol Ferris needs to make the decision, not make Hal Jordan the bad guy in the relationship.

Comment

+
                            New recruits
                            Curious Guardians
                            Sciencell Succubus

-
                            Empty batteries, treated like a common thing (Oh well, mine is empty, how's yours?)
                            Hal/Carol.
                            Kyle's fugly visormaskthingy.
                            Kyle bringing up Parallax.
                            Random Larfleeze attack out of nowhere.

4/5.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
                              Also, I 'm really tired of this bit where one of the human lanterns does something NOBODY has ever done before. Jesus Christ, that has gotten old!

Nobody has EVER killed a Guardian, until now! (or the other time you forgot to mention)

Nobody has the willpower to do that! Oh wait! They do now!

Nobody can break one of these colored constructs!

Nobody can heal this person!

"If I just pour on the will power--like NEVER-before!!!!"

Then bam, they do something that NO other lantern can do. Except they all can.

Hal, John, Kyle, and even Baz Fucking Somon of all people have been used like this in a story. They do this from time to time with ALL of the human GLs, and it's happening more and more lately.

Like reilly2040 said above, when did being a skilled GL stop being enough? Why can't Hal trick his opponents or kick their ass? Why can't John think his way out of a problem?
                              I blame Dragon Ball Z.

Comment

OMG, this is OUT already? I wasn't expecting it until next week! Where's my checkbook?????

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.

Comment

Working...
                                X