The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Video Games
FLASHCHAT

Qward

Old 07-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #276
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

The Walking Dead: 400 Days Has A Release Date!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #277
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

Ah, it's fucking on now. Glad to have a nice surprise to help me through the week before the 4th.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #278
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

Have to wait till Friday
Old 07-02-2013, 12:07 AM   #279
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Finally beat Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 last night.

Though I'm still completing some sidequests (and in turn, the fights they unlock), here's my review of the main game:

It's very, very good. More precisely: [Major Spoilers if you aren't relatively caught up in the manga]

Game starts with one of the better points in the series (at least, one that I like to a fair degree), the Gokage (Five Shadows) Summit, thankfully taking place after Pain's invasion of the Leaf Village (a horrible storyline). It continues until Uchiha Madara's revival via Edo Tensei (Impure World Resurrection). Because the series is still ongoing and taking a vastly different turn than the game's ending fights, the developers have a fictional ending, though a good one.

The animations are incredibly lively and fluid, intensely so. The fights are just great, better than they ever were (and they could get very crazy). That's not to say you'll have a perfect time: the camera is a pain in the neck here and there, choosing to hang out with your enemy while you're way across the arena and objects that get in front of it are not made at all transparent, which leaves you at the mercy of sheer luck. During free roam, camera angles are not always going to provide the best view, which sucks because the Leaf Village and the other areas you explore can be really lovely. Frankly, I think Ubisoft made the best Leaf Village, with Ultimate Ninja 3 (on PS2) a close second.

The battle conditions are present yet again, but are by and large easy to deal with (some are more difficult to pull off, due to enemies having their attack power boosted or simply having very aggressive AI and spamming attacks, such as the Second Mizukage or Deidara).

There is a pretty massive selection ("over 80") characters to play as, though a set of them are support-role only, which I feel is really stupid because some of them, such as Kurotsuchi or Chojuro, could have provided incredibly fun play styles and they certainly possess very good canon moves. Out of the playable characters, there are a number who repeat themselves in the same "time setting": the older versions of who used to be the junior generation as well as their younger forms, but some of the older forms have multiple character slots (e.g., Naruto, Sasuke, Gaara, Choji). That isn't something I agree with, because it feels as if the developers, Cyber Connect 2, are artificially expanding the roster. Some of the characters don't have any change to their attacks, not even their ultimate attacks, which is especially disappointing at times (Orochimaru has a downright boring ultimate, which makes me weep for him).

Admittedly, though, they provide a good range if you want a variety of a certain character who has presented a wide range of appearances and styles over the series' history (not applicable to all, not even most, but some and not a bad coverage). A lot of the "Pre-Time Skip" versions of the junior generation are removed, frankly for the better, because a number of them had either very little or no fighting time at all, and keeping their younger versions in at this point would feel like bad fan service. CC2 cut the PTS gang down to the Sasuke Retrieval people: Gaara, Naruto, Sasuke, Lee, Neji, and Kimimaro, with Sakura also being available (Temari has her costume from then, and I assume Kankuro does also, but as his style requires a huge amount of effort to use, then I can't say for sure). If you're a fan of them, don't expect any of the other Sound Ninja Five to show up, since Kimimaro is the only one kept in.

Unlocking characters are you progress through the story is a little strange: I have no previous game's save data, having only sampled Storm 1 on the PS3 years ago, so I had to complete the game to have all slots opened, yet the characters you unlock as you play are sometimes unlocked at a time that makes no sense. For example, Uchiha Madara unlocks pretty early, despite the fact that he's introduced at the end of the game. Yes, there's a man running around calling himself Madara, but that isn't the version you unlock whatsoever, because that version and those moves are not seen until his proper introduction during major fighting later in the story.

I also find it disappointing how an entire set of characters that you have full-blown fights against are not playable at all (unless the rumors about some of the content in the forthcoming Full Burst DLC are to be believed). Those would have provided a larger roster of varied characters, reducing feelings of other characters being recycled. One can hope that those rumors are true, then.

The boss fights are pretty good, with my personal favorite probably being the Nine Tails' attack on the Leaf Village that you play in the Prologue, at the game's beginning. Playing as the Third Hokage, leaping from building to building while fighting a hundred-foot fox demon that could give Godzilla a run for his money. It was just incredible. A close second is the boss battle against Madara, which was annoying at parts but otherwise doable.

Unfortunately, the boss battles against the Gedo Statue and, later, the multi-part battles against Tobi and the resurrected Jinchuriki (demon hosts) and their demons are frankly lousy fights. Fighting games are well known for having awful final bosses, and this game isn't an exception. The final battles are taken, as I feel it, too far, since you have numerous battles back-to-back with virtually no chance to heal or use items, meaning a struggle even if you choose the easier difficulty.

For Versus mode, having covered the characters, I'll cover the fighting mechanics and stages.

Stages:
You get a pretty good variety, though a few of them are a little questionable (do we really need four versions of the Leaf Village, or two desolate wastelands that are quite literally mirrors of each other, or both a day and evening version of the Waterfall of Truth?). A few stages are kept for story purposes only (Quiet Prairie in Versus has only Afternoon version, but in story has Morning and Night). A few stages (Mountain Graveyard, Akatsuki Hideout) have poor lighting, with half the arena being very dark while the other half is well-lit. The stages where ring-outs are possible have an invisible wall to keep you in, but the first slam against it cracks the wall, the second breaks it open, and the third seals your fate (or your enemy's). Overall, good design and variety, with some older levels (such as the Final Valley) being redesigned for the better.

Fight Mechanics:
Highly responsive, with incredible fluidity and animation. Each character has a good moveset, with combos being easy to figure out and only a moderate amount of difference from the older (PS2) games (tilt moves, for example). I'm slightly disappointed that a mechanic introduced in Storm 1, wall fighting, has been removed (possibly wasn't present in the last Storm). It was really cool to knock your enemy against a wall and the fight shifts to you both walking on the wall and fighting. Then again, it was very likely rather disorienting and more of a novelty to many than a practical mechanic.

A mechanic I don't like much (not hate, but rather dislike) is the heavy change to substitutions. In the PS2 games, your chakra (energy) was consumed a small bit when you subbed to avoid an attack, but here you have a substitution gauge with several sections, and it only recharges at a decent speed with your chakra is kept high unless you use a sub-recovery item; there is a Substitution Log you can use that doesn't drain your bar, but those can become expensive at the in-game merchants (admittedly, I haven't unlocked them there yet, only getting them from a few fights). Anyway, if you don't have a support to leap in and help you and are out of subs, then you better block or you'll get it from a combo. In story, enemies have no sub gauge, meaning they can sub your balls off.

When you finish an enemy with an ultimate, be it story or versus, a very brief anime shot will appear, and your character with give a mid-quote quote (they start a quote when the attack begins, anime shot with quote, then quote as attack ends). That's pretty cool, as there are some very good shots and quotes.

The DLC? Yes, there's a modest variety: two sets of hats (one for the Akatsuki, one for the Kage who attended the Summit), a Hello Kitty-themed costume for Sakura, a bunch of costumes for Naruto (with a Napoleon Sasuke bonus), a bunch of school uniforms, a special set (war-era uniforms for the Sannin, Before Death Madara, ANBU Kakashi and Yamato), a few swimsuits for a few females, a promo-only Goku Naruto, and promo-/Neon Alley-only costume set for a few characters (ANBU Itachi, Kimono Sasuke, Swimsuit Tsunade, and Samurai Naruto, I believe). The Full Burst DLC will include Sage Mode Kabuto, and possibly extra costumes for a few other characters (I haven't seen direct confirmation of this latter part, though).

Overall, a very worthwhile game, and it has no online Achievements/Trophies that force you to win X matches against super-skilled players. It's fairly short (around 20 hours with cinematics, around 10 if you skip them), and relatively easy, and a good deal of fun. I recommend it if you at all like the series or fighting games in general.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:19 AM   #280
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

You couldn't just black out the text? Dick.
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:24 AM   #281
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Are you being facetious?
Old 07-02-2013, 12:29 AM   #282
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
You couldn't just black out the text? Dick.
The text IS blacked out. And has been since before you made your post.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:35 AM   #283
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Meh
Old 07-02-2013, 12:38 AM   #284
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

>try to be internet-cool
>fuck it up completely
>cover ass with "meh"

And now you got learned, son.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:47 AM   #285
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

(Not even sure this appropriate to the situation. I just like using this gif. )
Old 07-02-2013, 01:18 AM   #286
Fearless
Agent Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post

(Not even sure this appropriate to the situation. I just like using this gif. )

It is ENTIRELY appropriate because Iggy both got learned, AND was shot down in flames!

And even if it wasn't, there's never a bad time to bust-out AOTS's "You Just Got Learned" GIF.
Fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #287
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/2/448...tall-usb-drive

Quote:
GTA V to require mandatory 8GB install, some Xbox owners will need to buy a USB drive

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #288
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

The videogame industry is such bullshit.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #289
Robinson
Guardian Of The Universe

and yet millions of people eat up that bullshit like its a good steak.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #290
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

Just like everything else.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #291
havik
Torch Bearer

Send a message via Yahoo to havik

so glad i have no interest in that game
havik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #292
Robinson
Guardian Of The Universe

i havent bought a game in a couple years at least. My gamegube games get more use than the ones i have for the wii.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #293
havik
Torch Bearer

i dont mind buying games but hardly ever will i buy a game new as 60 dollars for a game that will not live up to it's price is crazy
Old 07-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #294
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

Eh, there are some definite problems with the video game industry. I'm not sure any of those should keep someone from enjoying video games period, though.

This news about Grand Theft Auto V is fucking atrocious though. No PC initial release, my PS3 is full on memory, which means I'm FORCED to buy it on the Xbox 360. A video game release should never force me to do anything. Except pass out on my recliner from exhaustion, due to playing an awesome fucking game until 3 in the morning.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #295
havik
Torch Bearer

johnnyv for video game publisher ceo
Old 07-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #296
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by havik View Post
so glad i have no interest in that game
This. I never got very far into IV, and I thought it was a fairly good game. Despite its awful attempt at imitating a date sim and the save system advancing the days by several hours, among other things.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #297
havik
Torch Bearer

i don't see the appeal in the series at all have never played the game but have watched others play it
Old 07-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #298
Frank Castle
Alpha-Lantern

I'm not a fan of GTA at all either, but I can understand it's appeal.

For example, I loved Mafia 2, it's not as open as GTA though, but I'm a sucker for 1940-50's stuff.

I would drive around just listening to those classic songs, the radio was great on there, it's so funny hearing the DJ talk about smoking, oh what views they had back then, ha. then I'd stop off and rob the gas station or start a bar fight with the Irish, only for the cops to show up and kill everybody.......everybody but me Because I'm already speeding off in my Ascot Bailey listening Little Richard Long Tall Sally, which was also used in Far Cry Blood Dragon, because it's a great song of course.

Yeah, I need to replay Mafia 2 sometime.

So yeah I can see the massive appeal of GTA to many people, just never got into the series myself.

THE MEN CALLED STING
Frank Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:19 AM   #299
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

That last good GTA game I played was San Andreas. I didn't like GTA IV at all.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:24 AM   #300
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

I still haven't played IV. I've got it. But I have yet to play.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote