The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 04-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
GLSteveW
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Send a message via AIM to GLSteveW Send a message via Yahoo to GLSteveW
Default Morrison: "...Batman is very, very gay"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1456878.html

If this has been discussed elsewhere, my apologies. Interesting article.

Another Lame Comic Blog!
GLSteveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
TazzMission
Banned

even if he is so what?

dude still kicks ass
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
GLSteveW
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Send a message via AIM to GLSteveW Send a message via Yahoo to GLSteveW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
even if he is so what?

dude still kicks ass
Well, I wasn't assigning an opinion at all in the original post, so I am not sure if your "even if he is so what" is directed at me or is a general statement. I just found the article interesting. My apologies.

Another Lame Comic Blog!
GLSteveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
Bolerathon
Avant Guardian

He mentions something like this in Supergods but there he focused more on hedonism.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:03 AM   #5
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLSteveW View Post
Well, I wasn't assigning an opinion at all in the original post, so I am not sure if your "even if he is so what" is directed at me or is a general statement. I just found the article interesting. My apologies.
No need to apologize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolerathon View Post
He mentions something like this in Supergods but there he focused more on hedonism.
Christ, I keep forgetting to buy that.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:24 AM   #6
TazzMission
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLSteveW View Post
no need to apologize gay straight or bi in the end batman still kicks ass

thats how i look at it regardless
Old 04-27-2012, 03:26 AM   #7
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL
Default :Moderator:

I guess that explains his multiple relationships with women and the son he has...it's all a big cover up!

I find this absurd, but then again, it is Morrison.

Edit: I suppose this makes Superman what? Asexual? Because while he is/was married to Lois Lane, they obviously could never have had sex without him killing her, and he likes to "hang out alone, in his Fortress of Solitude."

I wonder if Wonder Woman is a lesbian because she comes from a place entirely populated by females...

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman

Last edited by Maverick_GL; 04-27-2012 at 03:30 AM.
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:31 AM   #8
TazzMission
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_GL View Post
I guess that explains his multiple relationships with women and the son he has...it's all a big cover up!

I find this absurd, but then again, it is Morrison.

Edit: I suppose this makes Superman what? Asexual? Because while he is/was married to Lois Lane, they obviously could never have had sex without him killing her, and he likes to "hang out alone, in his Fortress of Solitude."

I wonder if Wonder Woman is a lesbian because she comes from a place entirely populated by females...
you know i am questioning if morrison is saying these things to cover up his own sexuality

and thats just a theory so it's something to consider
Old 04-27-2012, 04:01 AM   #9
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

DID ANYONE READ THE ARTICLE?!!!!!!
Old 04-27-2012, 05:08 AM   #10
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

I don't agree with Morrison that Batman's universal appeal is because he's gay. Batman is universally appealing because we can easily relate to him, especially when compared to most of the other DC superhero's (the majority of whom have Superpowers).
Old 04-27-2012, 05:37 AM   #11
Gl Josh
Senior Corps Member

Ok so a rich guy, who chooses to hang out with an old guy and a young (adopted) guy is gay? Perhaps most of the women he knows are CRAZY! So is Lex Luthor also gay? Most male superheroes hang out with guys, a more common gender for superheroes. Hal spent time in space with a starfish, has he engaging in bestiality?
Originally Posted by BatmanofSector2814 View Post
I have yet to see Avatar, mainly because it is the plot of Pocahontas wrapped in a "Halo vs World of Warcraft" flavored, CGI heavy shell...and I've already seen Pocahontas and played all 5 Halos...so....
Gl Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:50 AM   #12
TazzMission
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gl Josh View Post
Ok so a rich guy, who chooses to hang out with an old guy and a young (adopted) guy is gay? Perhaps most of the women he knows are CRAZY! So is Lex Luthor also gay? Most male superheroes hang out with guys, a more common gender for superheroes. Hal spent time in space with a starfish, has he engaging in bestiality?
i really do question if grant morrison even knows how gay people act

so i guess now single billionares in real life are homosexuals right?
Old 04-27-2012, 05:59 AM   #13
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

I don't think his article was talking about Batman being gay, but that he has gay aspects.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:58 AM   #14
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL
Default :Moderator:

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
Yes...and what Morrison said was absurd.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #15
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Morrison
"Heís very plutonian in the sense that heís wealthy and also in the sense that heís sexually deviant," Morrison told the magazine. "Gayness is built into Batman. Iím not using gay in the pejorative sense, but Batman is very, very gay. Thereís just no denying it. Obviously as a fictional character heís intended to be heterosexual, but the basis of the whole concept is utterly gay."

In fact, Morrison adds, Batman's "gayness" is actually part of the character's near-universal appeal: "I think thatís why people like it. All these women fancy him and they all wear fetish clothes and jump around rooftops to get to him. He doesnít care -- heís more interested in hanging out with the old guy and the kid."
Emphasis mine.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #16
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
I don't agree with Morrison that Batman's universal appeal is because he's gay. Batman is universally appealing because we can easily relate to him, especially when compared to most of the other DC superhero's (the majority of whom have Superpowers).
personally, Ive never seen how Bats is regarded as "easily relatable", given his unique set of circumstances wich 99.44% of humanity has nothing in common with.

.........unless its about the wearing a cape & swinging from the Bat-line, cuz *that* I can understand.

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #17
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

He has no superpowers, he is more human than most of the DCU heroes. Otherwise I can't think of another good reason as to why his concept is so appealing.

At least I know that Batman's appeal is not because he is gay.

Last edited by Mister.Weirdo; 04-27-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #18
Bolerathon
Avant Guardian

Quote:
He has no superpowers, he is more human than most of the DCU heroes. Otherwise I can't think of another good reason as to why his concept is so appealing.

At least I know that Batman's appeal is not because he is gay.
He has infinity bagillion dollars and is naturally good at everything. He's got the worst case of PTSD in history and adopts children to make them into gaudy ninjas.

There isn't a person alive who is anything like that. Just cause he's a mere mortal in backstory doesn't make him one. Batman is no more or less relatable than Superman, Spider-man, GL or any of them.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #19
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Then what makes Batman so popular? Superman is the most important superhero of all time, but he seems to be becoming less irrelevant these days, particular with the general public. What makes Batman so successful with movies currently, while every other DC character adapted seems to fail? Why does DC publish more Batman comics then any other character, and why are they the most successful selling comics on the market currently?

Last edited by Mister.Weirdo; 04-27-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #20
Tommy Boy
Hal's Understudy

Because Batman's gay.

Duh.
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #21
TazzMission
Banned

Quote:
Then what makes Batman so popular? Superman is the most important superhero of all time, but he seems to be becoming less irrelevant these days, particular with the general public. What makes Batman so successful with movies currently, while every other DC character adapted seems to fail? Why does DC publish more Batman comics then any other character, and why are they the most successful selling comics on the market currently?
what makes batman popular?

ill bite

a guy who dosent have superpowers dresses up like a bat and beats the holy fuck out of criminals

another thing about batman is he has an amazing set of villains
Old 04-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #22
Tommy Boy
Hal's Understudy

*BZZZZZZT* No, I'm afraid the answer we were looking for was...

"Batman is gay." Batman is gay, yes, but you still have the board, make your next selection.
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #23
TazzMission
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
*BZZZZZZT* No, I'm afraid the answer we were looking for was...

"Batman is gay." Batman is gay, yes, but you still have the board, make your next selection.
and like i said so what if he is?

he still kicks ass out of crime
Old 04-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #24
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
Quote:
I don't think his article was talking about Batman being gay, but that he has gay aspects.
Right. It doesn't matter that the character is literally not gay. Morrison is just getting down to the psychological/sociological side and saying all things being equal, if you were speaking of a guy who dresses in tights and prefers the company of men, you'd think "gay."

As far as how that relates to appeal, I suppose it would be the lurid or taboo appeal. I.e., for most people gay sex, relationships with boys or old men, and s&m (leather, hoods, whips) [and there's your Wonder Woman, Mav] are "other" or "outsider." Batman would provide a "safe" outlet for exploring those things.

Now, you don't have to buy into any of that (I probably don't either), but that's one way I could see what he's talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
and like i said so what if he is?
he still kicks ass out of crime
My guess would be the "so what" is just the reversal of expectation; that it's a joke all these people think about how macho Batman is but the character has a gay basis. Again, you don't have to buy into that.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #25
TazzMission
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Right. It doesn't matter that the character is literally not gay. Morrison is just getting down to the psychological/sociological side and saying all things being equal, if you were speaking of a guy who dresses in tights and prefers the company of men, you'd think "gay."

As far as how that relates to appeal, I suppose it would be the lurid or taboo appeal. I.e., for most people gay sex, relationships with boys or old men, and s&m (leather, hoods, whips) [and there's your Wonder Woman, Mav] are "other" or "outsider." Batman would provide a "safe" outlet for exploring those things.

Now, you don't have to buy into any of that (I probably don't either), but that's one way I could see what he's talking about.

My guess would be the "so what" is just the reversal of expectation; that it's a joke all these people think about how macho Batman is but the character has a gay basis. Again, you don't have to buy into that.
i just find it pointless to base any charachter soley on there sexual preferance ( not saying being gay is a choice )