The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
GLSteveW
Sinestro's Sparring Partner
 
GLSteveW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: West Des Moines, Ia
Posts: 115
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via AIM to GLSteveW Send a message via Yahoo to GLSteveW
Default Morrison: "...Batman is very, very gay"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1456878.html

If this has been discussed elsewhere, my apologies. Interesting article.
__________________


Another Lame Comic Blog!
GLSteveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
TazzMission
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

even if he is so what?


dude still kicks ass
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
GLSteveW
Sinestro's Sparring Partner
 
GLSteveW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: West Des Moines, Ia
Posts: 115
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via AIM to GLSteveW Send a message via Yahoo to GLSteveW
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
even if he is so what?


dude still kicks ass
Well, I wasn't assigning an opinion at all in the original post, so I am not sure if your "even if he is so what" is directed at me or is a general statement. I just found the article interesting. My apologies.
__________________


Another Lame Comic Blog!
GLSteveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
Bolerathon
Avant Guardian
 
Bolerathon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 1,754
Default

He mentions something like this in Supergods but there he focused more on hedonism.
__________________
Goodbye Christopher Hitchins 1949 - 2011
Bolerathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:03 AM   #5
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer
 
Hypo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Earth-42
Posts: 21,516
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLSteveW View Post
Well, I wasn't assigning an opinion at all in the original post, so I am not sure if your "even if he is so what" is directed at me or is a general statement. I just found the article interesting. My apologies.
No need to apologize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolerathon View Post
He mentions something like this in Supergods but there he focused more on hedonism.
Christ, I keep forgetting to buy that.
__________________
Hypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:24 AM   #6
TazzMission
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLSteveW View Post
Well, I wasn't assigning an opinion at all in the original post, so I am not sure if your "even if he is so what" is directed at me or is a general statement. I just found the article interesting. My apologies.
no need to apologize gay straight or bi in the end batman still kicks ass

thats how i look at it regardless
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:26 AM   #7
Maverick_GL
Moderator
 
Maverick_GL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Biot, Sector 3601
Posts: 15,586
Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL
Default :Moderator:

I guess that explains his multiple relationships with women and the son he has...it's all a big cover up!

I find this absurd, but then again, it is Morrison.

Edit: I suppose this makes Superman what? Asexual? Because while he is/was married to Lois Lane, they obviously could never have had sex without him killing her, and he likes to "hang out alone, in his Fortress of Solitude."

I wonder if Wonder Woman is a lesbian because she comes from a place entirely populated by females...
__________________
Winner: Reality TV draft 2014


"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman

Last edited by Maverick_GL; 04-27-2012 at 03:30 AM.
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:31 AM   #8
TazzMission
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_GL View Post
I guess that explains his multiple relationships with women and the son he has...it's all a big cover up!

I find this absurd, but then again, it is Morrison.

Edit: I suppose this makes Superman what? Asexual? Because while he is/was married to Lois Lane, they obviously could never have had sex without him killing her, and he likes to "hang out alone, in his Fortress of Solitude."

I wonder if Wonder Woman is a lesbian because she comes from a place entirely populated by females...
you know i am questioning if morrison is saying these things to cover up his own sexuality

and thats just a theory so it's something to consider
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:01 AM   #9
W.West
Moderator
 
W.West's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Detroit,MI & LosAngeles, CA
Posts: 36,608
Blog Entries: 69
Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West
Default

DID ANYONE READ THE ARTICLE?!!!!!!
__________________
W.West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:08 AM   #10
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe
 
Mister.Weirdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 7,506
Blog Entries: 1
Default

I don't agree with Morrison that Batman's universal appeal is because he's gay. Batman is universally appealing because we can easily relate to him, especially when compared to most of the other DC superhero's (the majority of whom have Superpowers).
__________________
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:37 AM   #11
Gl Josh
Senior Corps Member
 
Gl Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 796
Default

Ok so a rich guy, who chooses to hang out with an old guy and a young (adopted) guy is gay? Perhaps most of the women he knows are CRAZY! So is Lex Luthor also gay? Most male superheroes hang out with guys, a more common gender for superheroes. Hal spent time in space with a starfish, has he engaging in bestiality?
__________________
http://www.facebook.com/gljosh
http://gljoshpresents.blip.tv/
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanofSector2814 View Post
I have yet to see Avatar, mainly because it is the plot of Pocahontas wrapped in a "Halo vs World of Warcraft" flavored, CGI heavy shell...and I've already seen Pocahontas and played all 5 Halos...so....
Gl Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:50 AM   #12
TazzMission
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gl Josh View Post
Ok so a rich guy, who chooses to hang out with an old guy and a young (adopted) guy is gay? Perhaps most of the women he knows are CRAZY! So is Lex Luthor also gay? Most male superheroes hang out with guys, a more common gender for superheroes. Hal spent time in space with a starfish, has he engaging in bestiality?
i really do question if grant morrison even knows how gay people act


so i guess now single billionares in real life are homosexuals right?
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:59 AM   #13
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe
 
Mister.Weirdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 7,506
Blog Entries: 1
Default

I don't think his article was talking about Batman being gay, but that he has gay aspects.
__________________
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:58 AM   #14
Maverick_GL
Moderator
 
Maverick_GL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Biot, Sector 3601
Posts: 15,586
Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL
Default :Moderator:

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
DID ANYONE READ THE ARTICLE?!!!!!!
Yes...and what Morrison said was absurd.
__________________
Winner: Reality TV draft 2014


"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #15
Michael Heide
Heide Finition
 
Michael Heide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cologne, Germany
Posts: 11,229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Morrison
"Heís very plutonian in the sense that heís wealthy and also in the sense that heís sexually deviant," Morrison told the magazine. "Gayness is built into Batman. Iím not using gay in the pejorative sense, but Batman is very, very gay. Thereís just no denying it. Obviously as a fictional character heís intended to be heterosexual, but the basis of the whole concept is utterly gay."

In fact, Morrison adds, Batman's "gayness" is actually part of the character's near-universal appeal: "I think thatís why people like it. All these women fancy him and they all wear fetish clothes and jump around rooftops to get to him. He doesnít care -- heís more interested in hanging out with the old guy and the kid."
Emphasis mine.
__________________
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #16
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche
 
Tazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: @play
Posts: 23,776
Default

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
I don't agree with Morrison that Batman's universal appeal is because he's gay. Batman is universally appealing because we can easily relate to him, especially when compared to most of the other DC superhero's (the majority of whom have Superpowers).
personally, Ive never seen how Bats is regarded as "easily relatable", given his unique set of circumstances wich 99.44% of humanity has nothing in common with.

.........unless its about the wearing a cape & swinging from the Bat-line, cuz *that* I can understand.





Tazer
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #17
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe
 
Mister.Weirdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 7,506
Blog Entries: 1
Default

He has no superpowers, he is more human than most of the DCU heroes. Otherwise I can't think of another good reason as to why his concept is so appealing.

At least I know that Batman's appeal is not because he is gay.
__________________

Last edited by Mister.Weirdo; 04-27-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #18
Bolerathon
Avant Guardian
 
Bolerathon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 1,754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
He has no superpowers, he is more human than most of the DCU heroes. Otherwise I can't think of another good reason as to why his concept is so appealing.

At least I know that Batman's appeal is not because he is gay.
He has infinity bagillion dollars and is naturally good at everything. He's got the worst case of PTSD in history and adopts children to make them into gaudy ninjas.

There isn't a person alive who is anything like that. Just cause he's a mere mortal in backstory doesn't make him one. Batman is no more or less relatable than Superman, Spider-man, GL or any of them.
__________________
Goodbye Christopher Hitchins 1949 - 2011
Bolerathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #19
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe
 
Mister.Weirdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 7,506
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Then what makes Batman so popular? Superman is the most important superhero of all time, but he seems to be becoming less irrelevant these days, particular with the general public. What makes Batman so successful with movies currently, while every other DC character adapted seems to fail? Why does DC publish more Batman comics then any other character, and why are they the most successful selling comics on the market currently?
__________________

Last edited by Mister.Weirdo; 04-27-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #20
Tommy Boy
Hal's Understudy
 
Tommy Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 585
Default

Because Batman's gay.

Duh.
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #21
TazzMission
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
Then what makes Batman so popular? Superman is the most important superhero of all time, but he seems to be becoming less irrelevant these days, particular with the general public. What makes Batman so successful with movies currently, while every other DC character adapted seems to fail? Why does DC publish more Batman comics then any other character, and why are they the most successful selling comics on the market currently?
what makes batman popular?

ill bite

a guy who dosent have superpowers dresses up like a bat and beats the holy fuck out of criminals

another thing about batman is he has an amazing set of villains
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #22
Tommy Boy
Hal's Understudy
 
Tommy Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 585
Default

*BZZZZZZT* No, I'm afraid the answer we were looking for was...

"Batman is gay." Batman is gay, yes, but you still have the board, make your next selection.
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #23
TazzMission
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
*BZZZZZZT* No, I'm afraid the answer we were looking for was...

"Batman is gay." Batman is gay, yes, but you still have the board, make your next selection.
and like i said so what if he is?


he still kicks ass out of crime
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #24
Space Cop
The Dandy
 
Space Cop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Third State
Posts: 24,509
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
DID ANYONE READ THE ARTICLE?!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
I don't think his article was talking about Batman being gay, but that he has gay aspects.
Right. It doesn't matter that the character is literally not gay. Morrison is just getting down to the psychological/sociological side and saying all things being equal, if you were speaking of a guy who dresses in tights and prefers the company of men, you'd think "gay."

As far as how that relates to appeal, I suppose it would be the lurid or taboo appeal. I.e., for most people gay sex, relationships with boys or old men, and s&m (leather, hoods, whips) [and there's your Wonder Woman, Mav] are "other" or "outsider." Batman would provide a "safe" outlet for exploring those things.

Now, you don't have to buy into any of that (I probably don't either), but that's one way I could see what he's talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
and like i said so what if he is?
he still kicks ass out of crime
My guess would be the "so what" is just the reversal of expectation; that it's a joke all these people think about how macho Batman is but the character has a gay basis. Again, you don't have to buy into that.
__________________
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #25
TazzMission
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Right. It doesn't matter that the character is literally not gay. Morrison is just getting down to the psychological/sociological side and saying all things being equal, if you were speaking of a guy who dresses in tights and prefers the company of men, you'd think "gay."

As far as how that relates to appeal, I suppose it would be the lurid or taboo appeal. I.e., for most people gay sex, relationships with boys or old men, and s&m (leather, hoods, whips) [and there's your Wonder Woman, Mav] are "other" or "outsider." Batman would provide a "safe" outlet for exploring those things.

Now, you don't have to buy into any of that (I probably don't either), but that's one way I could see what he's talking about.



My guess would be the "so what" is just the reversal of expectation; that it's a joke all these people think about how macho Batman is but the character has a gay basis. Again, you don't have to buy into that.
i just find it pointless to base any charachter soley on there sexual preferance ( not saying being gay is a choice )
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.