The Green Lantern #3 *Preview/Spoilers*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
    Yeah, I kind of get that impression. It's not that he wouldn't do a story so big that all of Earth is sold on auction, but it's that he would do that story in a single issue with no crossovers or six months of buildup. It actually does feel like a silver age kind of thing. In the 60s, it often seemed the case that Superman, GL, or Flash would deal with something so big you'd wonder why the rest of the league wasn't there.
    Agreed, if you look at that "pitch document" that they published in DC Nation this past issue still fits the bill:

The Earth being stolen is a big deal but the book kind of treats it as just a normal day at the office. Go in, get the bad guys, get out.

Comment

I just read issue #3 this morning and MAN, what a good time! I really enjoyed this issue. The auction that turns into a sting/bust? How great is that? Hal and the GLs were actually acting like COPS!! THIS is the title I wanted all along. Even some things I didn't know I needed in my Green Lantern comics until now.

Comment

Also to me it was almost comical that this huge event is treated like just another day on the beat. The cops ended it in a matter of pages with a wink and a smile. Previously this would have been 6 trades across 7 titles and taken up an entire year. I'm digging this cop procedural vibe.

Comment

The GLC was in army mode for a long time so the cop procedural is a breath of fresh air, but I still prefer that they operate more as cosmic humanitarians/saviors. Either way, this is fun so far but I hope Morrison leaves some room for Hal to have something of a life.

Comment

Originally posted by Kane2814 View Post
            The GLC was in army mode for a long time so the cop procedural is a breath of fresh air, but I still prefer that they operate more as cosmic humanitarians/saviors. Either way, this is fun so far but I hope Morrison leaves some room for Hal to have something of a life.
            I definitely like Morrison's approach and it's totally legit, but the only downside to being this procedural is that it take away from the idea of the GLC (because of the GotU) being above local laws. In Morrison's story, their rules of engagement are different on every planet. That takes away from the fun of a GL just bursting in and taking charge. But again, I get it. It's just not the kind of GL I'd want to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
              I definitely like Morrison's approach and it's totally legit, but the only downside to being this procedural is that it take away from the idea of the GLC (because of the GotU) being above local laws. In Morrison's story, their rules of engagement are different on every planet. That takes away from the fun of a GL just bursting in and taking charge. But again, I get it. It's just not the kind of GL I'd want to be.
              I'd prefer it that way. I think Seeley's approach on Green Lanterns was very similar, and to a much lesser degree Venditti's Zod story had that. Be political when you react, because these places have consequences after you leave or "bust up a joint" lol

Comment

The GLC should be a law enforcement organization. That means it has to be limited to enforcing laws within jurisdictions. The Lanterns can stop interstellar aggression or the annihilation of intelligent species, but they can't barge into a planet or a nation and set things up the way they want them to be.

Comment

Originally posted by jhpace1 View Post
                  ... A "captured Earth" would be a summer blockbuster event, not a GL-only title.
                  Wasn't the entire earth just sucked into the phantom zone in a Superman title recently? And that was just another day at the office for him too.

Comment

Working...
                  X