Notable Events of Vol3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notable Events of Vol3

I've kinda given up reading through the entirety of Volume 3, after issue 60 or so, mainly because it's so long (hundreds of comics and I ain't got em all), and secondly it's tough to say that any of the events "matter" because they come off as one-off stories (good guy and bad guy fight, good guy wins). But, not having read them all, how do I know for sure? So, in light of this, I'd like to make a short list of notable events in volume 3, in order:

- John Stewart trapped on Oa by Old Timer (GL#2)
    - Tomar Tu first appearance (GL#5)
    - Old Timer defeated (GL#8)
    - G'Nort appears (JLI#10, GL#9)
    - G'Nort gets GL ring (GL#13)
    - John Stewart put in charge of Mosaic, Guy Gardner given sector 2814, Hal to recruit new Corps (GL #9)
    - Boodika, Amanita first appearance (GL#20)
    - Guy Gardner loses GL ring (GL#25)
    - Hal becomes GL of Earth/2814 (GL#26)
    - Guy Gardner steals Sinestro's yellow ring (GGR#3)
    - Mosaic participants allowed to leave (M#18)
    - Coast City destroyed (S#80, GL#46)
    - Kyle Rainer first appearance (GL#48)
    - Hal de-rings KeHaan, Laira, TomarTu, JackTChance, Kreon, GrafToren, Boodikka, Kilowog (GL#49)
    - Hal kills Sinestro, becomes Parallax (Emerald Twilight, GL#50)
    - Kyle Rainer gets GL ring (GL#50)
    - Guy Gardner loses yellow ring (GG#21)
    - Guy Gardner gains shape-shifting powers (GG#23)
    - Green Arrow kills Parallax (ZH#0)
    - Kyle destroys Oa (GL#0)
    - Parallax returns (GL#63)
    - Kyle joins Teen Titans (GL#57, NT#116-117)
    - Laira first apperance (GLCQ#6)
    - Arisia killed by Major Force (GG#43)
    - Hannu first appearance (GL#49)
    - John Stewart loses use of his legs (GL#75)
    - Hal's Funeral (GL#81)
    - Introduction of Fatality (GL#83)
    - Kyle and Jade relationship (GL#103)
    - Hal gives Kyle replicating ring (GL#106?)
    - Jade covers for Kyle (GL#107-112)
    - Kyle attempts to recruit new Corp (GL#107-112,TNC#1-2)
    - Parallax sacrifices self to save sun (Final Night #4)
    - Hal becomes The Spectre (Day of Judgement #5)
    - Kyle becomes Ion (GL#145)
    - Oa ressurrected by Tom Kalmaku (Legacy: Last Will and Testament #1)
    - Kyle gives up Ion power, restores central power battery, revives Guardians (GL#150)
    - Kyle leaves Earth (GL#155)
    - Amon Sur first appearance (GL#162)
    - Good Kilowog Reborn (GL#169)
    - Kyle returns from space (GL#176)
    - Kyle and Jade break up (GL#177)
    - Major Force defeated (GL#181)

Hope those are correct and in the right order. What other notable events are there that defines this run?

Some I'm missing might include: beginning/ending of Kyle/Jade relationship, Guardians/Oa, joining/leaving organizations, etc. Unless someone dies or changes significantly, it's not really worth it to say "X fought Y" or "Z special appearance". Should be a major plot point that affects/defines the series.

sundrop
    Fatality's Blacksmith
    Last edited by sundrop; 06-24-2014, 11:17 PM.

I feel I should mention that the Mosaic experiment did NOT end in Mosaic #18 (unless you are referring to the series itself as the experiment, rather than the in-universe experiment). At the end of Mosaic #18, the Mosaic was ongoing, the only difference being that folks that wanted to leave got to leave, and folks that wanted to come and be part of it could do that, too.

It didn't even "end" on-panel. Mosaic, and John Stewart, were totally ignored in Emerald Twilight, and then Kyle destroyed Oa in GL #0 (maybe that should go on your list?), with no further mention being made of it. Later on they threw in a line about the Darkstars evacuating it (good thing, because there's no indication Kyle checked to see if the planet had any inhabitants before blowing it up), but we don't know exactly when that was.

Comment

Green Lantern #57/New Titans #116 & 117 - Kyle joins the Teen Titans.
      JLA: Midsummer's Nightmare - Kyle joins the JLA.

Comment

Also, Kilowog was brought back, as the Dark Lantern, in "Legacy:The Last Will and Testament of Hal Jordan", not #165. He was returned to normal life in #169 (I think). "Legacy" is also where Oa was recreated by Tom Kalmaku.

Comment

I'd mention the issue where Kyle got a duplicating GL ring from Past-Hal Jordan, except as it turned out that didn't amount to much in the long run, even though it seemed like it would at the time.

Comment

Kyle became Ion in #145 (I think), and gave up the Ion power to recharge the Central Power Battery and resurrect the Guardians in #150.

Comment

Awesome, thanks for these clarifications+additions. Will integrate them soon! I also left out a lot pre-issue #25, for example when Mosaic starts, when the Guardian goes mad, and I think Gnort gets a ring at some point.

Should probably mention Boodika and other new GLs of significance too.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                Green Lantern #57/New Titans #116 & 117 - Kyle joins the Teen Titans.
                Thanks for these. What issue does Kyle join JLA?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post

Wow, that cover looks like shit! Look at Batman's face! Could be a rage meme

Which one should I try to get? The trade or the three single issues?

Comment

Green Lantern #78 - A Beginning / Green Lantern Retroactive the '90s.

#78 was a soft reboot that explains who Kyle is and recaptures everything that makes him being special. He also gets back together with Donna (Donna > Jade ). #78 is also a backup in the Retroactive issue, which is still in print so you should be able to get this issue at your LCS.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                      ..."Legacy" is also where Oa was recreated by Tom Kalmaku.
                      Plus, Hal reveals a strategy for taking on the entire JLA, which is just awesome.

Comment

I'm not sure exactly where in the timeline "Legacy" fits in, but you've got it after GL #150, which can't be right, as it is where Oa is recreated. When Kyle repowers the Central Battery in #150, Oa is, obviously, already back.

Comment

Originally posted by SocializingMogo View Post
                          Which one should I try to get? The trade or the three single issues?
                          Whichever's cheapest.
                          The last fan of 1990s comics
                          Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

Originally posted by SD80MAC View Post
                            Whichever's cheapest.
                            They're about the same. But if the trade doesn't have any improvements over the floppies I'll get the floppies.

Comment

#83-85 was the first arc introducing Fatality who's become a long standing member of the expanded Corps'. Emerald Knights ran from #100-106 and had Kyle meeting rookie Hal. #107-112 had Kyle selecting a replacement Earth GL when he went to try and remake the Corps in the New Corps prestige two parter. Jade took over the issues with #108 and even had an adventure with Wonder Woman before her time as a GL was up. You also forgot 3 of a Kind that ran through GL #96 I think and an issue each of Flash and GA. There was also the GL/Sentinel Heart of Darkness mini just before GL #100....

~KL~

Comment

Working...
                              X