Make your own ring!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make your own ring!

This past weekend I made myself an old stone Honor Guard Ring. I wrapped some tape around my finger to get the size, and then put that on some .01 styrene plastic (though figure package plastic will work just as well). I then "fluted" the ring. This basically means that I made the ring larger towards the outside/front of the ring, and narrower towards the inside/ back of the ring. Then I started sculpting the milliput onto the plastic strap. Now I used Millput, but you can use either Milliput, or Green Stuff (Kneadatite). Milliput will give it a more cold stone like feel, while Green Stuff feels more like plastic. Once I had the ring to the desired thickness I made sure it was round by sliding it back on my finger, then slid if back off, and allowed it to cure. then I started work on the emblem. I'll be making a comic style Hal Jordan ring for my son this weekend so I'll be giving a step by step pictorial then, but for now here's what you'll need supply wise (the ring you see is the one I made last weekend):

closer pics of my ring:

Cool
    I Make my Own T-Shirts

Comment

Well I figured I'd start on my 13yr old son's GL ring today while I'm waiting for my turn to sleep (since we both work nights my wife, and I take turns watching the younger two 2yr old Jacob, and 11 mo old Josh during the day). Fortunately I still have the tape strip from when I made the kids first rings out of just plastic.

I had to cut off a little more putty off, because it wouldn't go all the way around the ring, and ended up w/ a little too much

So I went ahead w/ the next phase as well

testing the clearity

encasing the gem

Now I've got to wait for the putty to cure some before I combine the parts. The putty is a little too soft right now.

Comment

It's cured just enough that I was able to mold the ring, and emblem together.

Now I'll let it harden the rest of the way, and then I'll sand it down nice, and smooth.

Comment

Well my son tried the ring on yesterday after noon since the putty was cured enough, and some how it was too big for him, so I removed the plastic ring from inside of it, and just fit me. So now I have 2 rings.

Ok so when I got home this morning, and the putty was thouroughly cured. So I sanded the ring down nice, and smooth. Then I used a grinding wheel in my Dremel to cut a path into the side of the ring to put a strip of clear green plastic into.

Then I took the metallic green paint I got from Walmart, and painted the ring. Voila you have a classic Green Lantern Ring.

RodimusVTS
          Major Force's Dinner Date
          Last edited by RodimusVTS; 05-21-2011, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X