Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The British Lantern View Post
    thanks

i don't it felt like the plot was very self contained you know? I just sort of picked it up at random an kept reading that's how i deiced most of the books i read just pick it up with out thinking
    Well, if you're new to it, you might've just been digging on Bats kicking butt. Jenkins has said that's pretty much what he's going for. I think the reason Bat fans aren't too thrilled with it is that we think of him as primarily a detective and Jenkins and Finch are (admittedly and purposefully) underplaying that. DK is more cartoony than the other books.

Comment

• Originally posted by hypotherion View Post

The wheels are in motion.

Comment

• “NIGHT OF THE OWLS” – TALON DESIGN (1770s)
        The “Night of the Owls” is coming this May, pitting the extended Bat-family against the deadly Court of Owls. A shadowy secret society with roots that date back to Gotham City’s earliest history, the Court employs a cadre of timeless, sinister assassins known as Talons to execute its malevolent will.

“Same approach as the 1660s owl, basically,” said BATMAN artist Greg Capullo of the 1770s Talon, who will be resurrected to menace BATMAN AND ROBIN. “I looked at that period’s military. I was happy to find less frilly stuff. Overall, the period looks more bad-ass, despite the stockings.”
        Stay tuned to The Source all this week and next to see the various other Talons that will rise to menace Gotham City during the “Night of the Owls.”
        via The Source

THE OWL SIGNAL: Winick Juggles "Catwoman,"Dark Knight" & "Batwing" in "Night of the Owls"

Comment

• Scott Snyder Interview (Podcast)

Comment

• ALL-STAR WESTERN tie in to “Night of the Owls”
            With the highly anticipated “Night of the Owls” crossover beginning this May, we asked writers Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti how it impacts their story in ALL-STAR WESTERN.

““Plans within plans.” That’s one of my favorite lines from Frank Herbert’s eco-sci-fi epic, Dune. It is also one of the hardest things to convey in a monthly comic where readers are often second-guessing the outcome or direction of a series. There is always a larger plan at work and things are never quite what they seem,” says Gray. “Both Batman and Jonah Hex have been discovering this fact in their own unique ways. Having chosen Gotham City as the unlikely setting for ALL-STAR WESTERN, Jimmy and I thought long and hard about the different ways we could make the book interesting to both new readers and the Jonah Hex faithful. To do that we began our initial arc with the secret society called The Crime Bible trying to establish its roots in 1880’s Gotham. At the same time over in BATMAN, readers were introduced to The Court of Owls.”

Gray continues, “By now you know both organizations existed long before the caped crusader launched his one-man campaign to save the soul of a city. So starting in May, The Court of Owls, the Talon, the secret history of Gotham, Crime Bible, Jonah Hex and Amadeus Arkham…some of the most unlikely and surprising elements start falling seamlessly in to place. It has been months and months in the making, but the plans within plans are coming to fruition and even the most cynical fan has to admit this New 52 thing is pretty damn exciting.”

So get ready to discover what the Court of Owls was up to in Gotham City cira 1880 in ALL-STAR WESTERN #9.

As Palmiotti says, “This is the best of both worlds for comic fans and us, and we plan on delivering the goods. Everything about this crossover makes sense and is planned brilliantly. We are happy to make Jonah and the gang part of comic book history once again.”

via The Source

Comment

• “NIGHT OF THE OWLS” – TALON DESIGN (1840s)
              The “Night of the Owls” is coming this May, pitting the extended Bat-family against the deadly Court of Owls. A shadowy secret society with roots that date back to Gotham City’s earliest history, the Court employs a cadre of timeless, sinister assassins known as Talons to execute its malevolent will.

“Now I’m thinking Jack the Ripper,” said BATMAN artist Greg Capullo of the mid-Victorian Talon that threatens the BIRDS OF PREY during the crossover. “Cloaks and lots of layers. A bird’s feathers are all layered. Perfect.”
              Stay tuned to The Source all this week and next to see the various other Talons that will rise to menace Gotham City during the “Night of the Owls.”
              via The Source

Speaking of Freeze, "Red Hood and the Outlaws" #9 also ties-in to "Batman Annual" #1, which introduces Mister Freeze to the New 52. How does Freeze's presence affect Jason and the Court of Owls?

Well, Jason himself, I don't think he has two words to say to Mr. Freeze -- but that's why it is good to have partners who can step in to help in any situation. (And if you think a walking nuclear reactor like Kori and a human blizzard like Mr. Freeze aren't going cause some damage -- then you're reading the wrong book.)

I can tell you a fun story though, since we're here. I really wanted to re-imagine Mr. Freeze physically for the 2012 audience and I was told, "Nah. We like him the way he is." Well, I can be pretty stubborn, as anyone who knows me knows -- and I had the ultimate secret weapon in my arsenal, which is of course the progressively-more-brilliant-every-issue Kenneth Rocafort! So we plotted and sketched and whispered like two kids in the corner of the classroom until we had this cool new awesome looking Mr. Freeze. I hit "send" -- presenting the work without comment -- and now we have this awesome new Mr. Freeze!

Artist Kenneth Rocafort's redesign for Mr. Freeze
              Hypo
              Lil' Leaguer
              Last edited by Hypo; 02-17-2012, 10:40 PM.

Comment

• I wonder if there's any connection to all of the ice powered villains getting reimagined so early on in this universe wide relaunch? First Captain Cold, then seemingly Killer Frost in Fury of Firestorm [one of the Hyena mercs is laying in a hospital bed creating ice around her], and now Mr. Freeze...

Who's next, Icicle?

~KL~

Comment

• DC has shown so far that this was extremely rushed, so anything beyond the first designs we saw in September is on a case by case basis. Scott even mentioned that he was told "No." to redesigning Victor.

Comment

• Batman: The Dark Knight #6 Preview

BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT #6
                    Written by PAUL JENKINS and DAVID FINCH
                    Art and cover by DAVID FINCH and RICHARD FRIEND
                    1:25 Variant cover by DAVID FINCH and RICHARD FRIEND
                    On sale FEBRUARY 22 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
                    Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. The variant cover will feature the standard edition cover in a wraparound format.
                    Batman’s darkest fears resurface in this stunning conclusion to the opening epic as the Dark Knight confronts the mastermind behind the toxin being injected into Gotham City’s criminals. But the conspiracy behind the toxin runs deeper than he could possibly have imagined. Time is running out – and the entire structure of Gotham City’s society is at risk, unless Batman can find a path to overcome the man who once broke his back: Bane!

Comment

• Mr. Freeze redesign=

Comment

• The hair is the only thing I don't like. And the gun is a bit weird, but the rest looks fine. It's not like Freeze had the best outfit beforehand anyway.

Comment

• the freeze design on the cover of the batman annual is the old design. i hope it stays that way because the redesign plus rocafort's art =

Comment

• Originally posted by FrEaKjOkErXXX View Post
                            Mr. Freeze redesign=
                            This.
                            Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• One thing I like about the Freeze redesign is that it gets rid of the whole "crack-his-helmet-to-defeat-him" thing they had going on. Shit happened every single fucking time.

Comment

• Batman 7 Variant by Dustin Nguyen

Winner of THE INFAMOUS PEOPLE DRAFT 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X