Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps 25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps 25

Just read 25, and I enjoyed the turn of events.

SPOILERS

I'm rather pissed off about Jon Stewart. Ever since the beginning of the green/yellow alliance I noticed how he attempts to lead BOTH Corps via Soranik, bending Sinestro members to Green's rules without any intention to learn from the Yellow. It was a one-sided deal, the cooperation was a ruse to cover his ambitious conversion.

And it was proven in the latest issue. Jon installed an emergency protocol that would shut down Sinestro Corps's ability to fight Green Lanterns. It's a wise thing to do, subjugating an ally without them knowing, what really irked me was how self-righteous Stewart was in calling it a "safety measure", acted as if he still wanted to maintain an alliance while in reality it's a clear evidence of distrust right from the start, and he lacks the balls to admit it.

If the Green took refuge on New Korugar and the Yellow hacked their battery Jon did here, the Green would be furious, they would see it as a cheap trick behind the back, vile and unforgivable, Guy Gardner for one would've gone banana if Sinestro did this to his whole Corps, but somehow completely ok when the Green does it, all too brainwashed to acknowledge their wrong doing.

Soranik put it right, it's hypocrisy, and hardly the right way to treat an ally. It's the kind of things Guardians used to do that let to the Human lanterns rebel against them. Stewart is becoming like a Guardian. My disdain towards him is a testament to my appreciate of this character development, however.

I bid Sinestro Corps good luck.
    :Gray Lantern the True Neutral:

Cyberium of Sector 614, you foresee great HOPE in our future.

Originally posted by Cyberium View Post
    Just read 25, and I enjoyed the turn of events.

SPOILERS

I'm rather pissed off about Jon Stewart. Ever since the beginning of the green/yellow alliance I noticed how he attempts to lead BOTH Corps via Soranik, bending Sinestro members to Green's rules without any intention to learn from the Yellow. It was a one-sided deal, the cooperation was a ruse to cover his ambitious conversion.

And it was proven in the latest issue. Jon installed an emergency protocol that would shut down Sinestro Corps's ability to fight Green Lanterns. It's a wise thing to do, subjugating an ally without them knowing, what really irked me was how self-righteous Stewart was in calling it a "safety measure", acted as if he still wanted to maintain an alliance while in reality it's a clear evidence of distrust right from the start, and he lacks the balls to admit it.

If the Green took refuge on New Korugar and the Yellow hacked their battery Jon did here, the Green would be furious, they would see it as a cheap trick behind the back, vile and unforgivable, Guy Gardner for one would've gone banana if Sinestro did this to his whole Corps, but somehow completely ok when the Green does it, all too brainwashed to acknowledge their wrong doing.

Soranik put it right, it's hypocrisy, and hardly the right way to treat an ally. It's the kind of things Guardians used to do that let to the Human lanterns rebel against them. Stewart is becoming like a Guardian. My disdain towards him is a testament to my appreciate of this character development, however.

I bid Sinestro Corps good luck.
    The Sinestro Corps was filled with Murderers and Psychopaths. Putting a safety feature in place was a wise move. Look how quick most of them were to jump back to the evil side again. Trust isn't just given. Trust is earned.

Comment

Yeah, the safety feature was rather smart.

Comment

Originally posted by Orion Pax View Post
        Yeah, the safety feature was rather smart.
        Agreed. It would have been foolish for John to not put them on a leash.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnMc View Post
          The Sinestro Corps was filled with Murderers and Psychopaths. Putting a safety feature in place was a wise move. Look how quick most of them were to jump back to the evil side again. Trust isn't just given. Trust is earned.
          If you guys read my post, then you'd know my problem wasn't with John putting a safety measure in, I mentioned it's a very wise thing to do given Sinestro Corps's history.

What I had problem was how Stewart and other GLs don't seem to realize the whole alliance reeked with hypocrisy.

1) Soronik cared about the Yellows, yes, but she was a GL and would support Yellows only if they agree to do good instead of evil. Had Stewart told Soranik about the safety measure she probably would've agreed with him, yet he hid that from her all the while preaching about trusting each other. You don't have to trust murderers and villains, but Soranik wasn't one, not until later events which were beyond anyone's prediction.

Again, imagine the GLs take refuge on New Korugar and the Yellows did the same thing to the Greens, wouldn't Stewart and the rest be furious? Wouldn't they call the Yellows treacherous, vile, deceptive, and their alliance a farce, regardless of its necessity? Stewart can justify the reason behind his plan, but he has no right to pretend himself sincere.

2) When the Greens handled the Yellows who helped them liberated War Worlds with prejudice, all Stewart did was suppressing their fight, then continue to tell the Yellows to learn from the GL, do it GL's way. Now before you ask why GLs should learn from Yellows, do remember this little scene between Soranik and Sinestro:

Soranik: Your ring sucks at healing.
          Sinestro: Try it by tap into your fear for the wellbeing of your patients.

Yellow ring is entirely capable of doing good as much as the green, even Sinestro knows how that works, but Stewart was more interested in having a bigger army under green agenda and protocols, instead of exploring that possibility. How Arkillo and Guy, and Space Ape and Gorin-Sunn handle their partnership worked, and Stewart could've promoted that ideal instead of taking it for granted. It is understandable, of course, because Stewart was a soldier at his core, obedience and martial ranks is way more familiar to him than actual cultural exchange.

Again, I applaud Stewart for his strategic steps along the ways, and his announcement of Romat-Ru's murder was an honest gesture, I just want him to stop telling himself and others that he wanted peace between two Corps, because the Yellows would never be equal in his eyes until they wear GL uniforms, it's called conquering, conversion, absorption, but not alliance.
          :Gray Lantern the True Neutral:

Cyberium of Sector 614, you foresee great HOPE in our future.

Comment

I guess it comes down to the GLC not having the luxury of being above hypocrisy. The Sin Corps is essentially a "bad guy" group. The entire premise of the group is to rule through terror and fear, and their ranks are filled with mass murderers. The GLC HAS to be above them on the moral ground. Imagine trying to be fair and avoiding hypocrisy with the nazis? You just couldn't, and in this fiction, the Sin Corps is depicted as much worse than the real life nazis. The whole bit of Soranik trying to make them into something good is a pipedream. John would be a fool to seriously think otherwise.

Good topic though Cyberium. I enjoy your posts on this and your well thought point of view.

Comment

I thought it was a pretty well-done sequence showing the breakdown between the two corps and how John, Kyle and Hal were involved (and Guy affected after the fact). I don't mind Hal's role being more tangential to the main action here since I was tired of seeing Venditti show Hal's failure in leadership. It was nice to see him just stand up for a friend while still being an honorable member of the corps.

Comment

I think thereīs something wrong with Natu and itīs not her grief over her lost son.

Comment

I think thereīs something wrong with Natu and itīs not her grief over her lost son.
                  Agreed. She was right to be upset, but that was still an overreaction.

Comment

Maybe it is, something probably done to the ring(s) by Sinestro, and she doesn't realize it. But she is going to find out real quick that Thaal will not relinquish power to her at any time, and hopefully, Iolande and Kyle can hook up. Things must keep moving.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                      Agreed. She was right to be upset, but that was still an overreaction.
                      Also, her speak was more Sinestro than herself.

Comment

My first GL comic in years, thank you random comic shop in Portland. Anyway I thought this was a fine enough issue for what it was. Soranik's rage I actually thought made logical sense via the story, & seeing the corps go up against the Sinestro Corps is always something I kinda enjoy. Plus Guy had some good quotes "I prefer my fights one at a time". Not bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
                          My first GL comic in years, thank you random comic shop in Portland.
                          Portland Maine?

Comment

Working...
                          X