The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 2
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 2

Old 06-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
GreenLantern888
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via AIM to GreenLantern888 Send a message via MSN to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Yahoo to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Skype™ to GreenLantern888
Default What are some key issues and arcs?

I've been reading through the issues of this volume, I was wondering what were some of the more important and good stories from here?

Villain Draft (Best Team Winner)/Proud Supporter of the DCnU
GreenLantern888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.

I don't think anything major happened since his origin (and even that's bested by the later version secret origins) and the next major step is the parallax storyline right at the very end of volume two or the very begining of volume three. I think volume two is just filled with minor relaxed storylines that last 1 issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I think the original Green Lantern/Green Arrow run is considered a pretty defining moment. It's certainly been collected enough times.

It WAS later in the run that there started being story arcs, rather than just single stories.

With the way everything has been retconned, I'm not sure ANYTHING from Vol. 2 is "important" in the sense of being relevant to the character today. But there's plenty of "good" stuff, IMHO, anyway. The worst section, again IMHO, is the issues immediately before the GL/GA stuff (which starts in issue #76).
Old 06-02-2012, 03:12 AM   #4
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern888 View Post
I've been reading through the issues of this volume, I was wondering what were some of the more important and good stories from here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
I don't think anything major happened since his origin (and even that's bested by the later version secret origins) and the next major step is the parallax storyline right at the very end of volume two or the very begining of volume three. I think volume two is just filled with minor relaxed storylines that last 1 issue.
That's 3rd Series. Kyle is introduced in #50 and the issues immediately preceding it are Hal's fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
With the way everything has been retconned, I'm not sure ANYTHING from Vol. 2 is "important" in the sense of being relevant to the character today. But there's plenty of "good" stuff, IMHO, anyway. The worst section, again IMHO, is the issues immediately before the GL/GA stuff (which starts in issue #76).

This, this, and this.

Almost none of it matters for background.

7 is the first Sinestro ever. 59 is Guy Gardner's first appearance. 76 is usually rated as the best single issue of GL. 200 and 201 changed things up. I'd recommend getting your hands on the Overstreet Price guide. Next to each number they list important events, so say if you're a fan of Black Hand you could find his first issue (29). I use it for that all the time.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #5
GreenLantern888
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via AIM to GreenLantern888 Send a message via MSN to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Yahoo to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Skype™ to GreenLantern888

I kind of figured things didn't really pick up till around Green Lantern/Green Arrow. Though Guy's first appearance is something I want to see.

I kind of get bored reading some of these stories, I mean they are good but I like more connected stories.

Villain Draft (Best Team Winner)/Proud Supporter of the DCnU
GreenLantern888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern888 View Post
try these: ish's #124 - 127 (where the Qwardians attempt to take over Oa),
#133 - 135 (where Doc Polaris almost becomes 1 with the universal force of magnetism), #141 - 143 (where he meets the Omega Men & we [I think] learn about the Vega sector being off-limits to GLs), #148 - 151 (based on his decision-making, Hal fights off the Qwardian Anti-Green Lantern Corps and then is banished from Earth for 1 year by the Oans), and #178 - 182 (Hal quits the GLC).

also, #130 was the start of the "Tales of the GLC" -backup stories, so Id really recommend reading *every issue* of the title from this point on just for that, in order to get a taste of all the various members who helped fill out the franchise (they arent all happyor triumphant stories either, which was kewl & kept it balanced IMO).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
lacking in trades doesnt mean nothing happened; quite the opposite really as ive shown above. sadly, its basically like Mr. Ed said: ALL of this stuff has been rendered null & void, and the fact that they STILL havent collect the GLC -backups illustrates wat they think of the franchise pre-GJ.

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
Evergreen City
Corps Den Mother

Odd, just the other day at my local distributor I DID see a trade paperback in which were reprinted a number of the good GLC backup stories from the 1980s. I considered buying the one with the "Tales of the Green Lantern Corps" 1981 miniseries in it; the art was fantastic, but the four-color press at Sparta was in the dying days of newsprint publication and everything leached through the recycled paper; IMHO, original issues between #90 and #224 all suffer because of the paper they were printed on.

It depends on which Hal Jordan you're a fan of, naturally. Pre-Parallax (Gardner Fox) Hal was a much stronger, more decisive, indeed highly professional fellow. He owned cars. He went to baseball games. He flew (conventional) with his ring on. He had the right stuff. And wore some killer business suits besides. I like most of the Flash-GL team-up issues from this era, beginning in #13 (the ones with Major Disaster reeked). I enjoy the setting of the insurance-era adventures in Evergreen City for obvious reasons, although most of the plots suck and the art was degraded. The O'Neill/Adams issues are over-rated, in my opinion, although the change was welcome; it didn't save the book. Post-hiatus, the issues from #123 on really need to be consumed as a whole, and of these #192 is my present favorite (even if SS was bitchy and in error on some of her "facts" about the romance).

Trivia time: see if you can find the two issues in which Hal is shown smoking tobacco.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.
Evergreen City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #8
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

offhand, IIRC 1 of those times is in #6, but Im not inna mood to go thru my collection looking 4 da other one.......

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote