Announcement

Collapse

The point of this Forum Section

Some members are a little iffy on what should go in the Games & Humor forum section so.

Trivial games like "the person above you game" should be placed in this forum.

Humor of all kinds also belongs here, like the "Superman has a problem with kinky sex" thread.

What does not belong here would be things like video games, board games. Or humor coming directly out of comic books or discussion of books.

Boardgames and the like would go in the Action Figure and Toys section as could video games, though those could also be posted in the General Forum Section.

also any posts in this Forum Section do not count towards your post count.

Hope that helps!
See more
See less

2016 Reading Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BOOKS READ

Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang by Chelsea Handler
    Comments: Quick read. Funny lady. Will definitely grab more of her books.
    Categories Covered: A book written by a comedian and A New York Times Bestseller and A Book Written by a Celebrity

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
    Comments: Its Hunger Games with superpowers but less kids killing and more romance but poorly developed romance. I called the plot twist a mile away. The sequel comes out this year.
    Categories Covered: A Young Adult Bestseller and A dystopian novel

Hard Choices
    by Hilary Clinton
    Comments: I'll likely never read another Political memoir again. A lot of "I did this. I said this. I loved this. We didn't get along BUT..." And I was really upset when this clocked in just under 600 pages.
    Categories Covered: A Political Memoir

Meat Market: Inside the Smash-Mouth World of College Football Recruiting
    by Bruce Feldman
    Comments: Such a great read. Its a few years old, so its even better knowing the people discussed turned out to be relevant or irrelevant. A must read for any college football fan.
    Categories Covered: A Book from the Library, A Book with a Blue Cover

Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter
    Comments: Fun book. A good sequel to a really fun book and while this is a bit cheesy with the romance stuff, everything heist centered is just lovely.
    Categories Covered: A Book That Takes Place on an Island

Reaching Higher: Mark Dantonio and the Rise of Michigan State Football by The State News
    Comments: Lots of pictures and lots of praise for the head football coach of the Michigan State Spartans. That's about all I can say about this. Nothing special, and certainly not worth the 20 bucks I paid for it. Maybe if the team had won the National Championship, it could hold a sentimental value or something but I'm not even a fan of the team, just an admirer of the coach and I'm still left unimpressed.
    Categories Covered: A Book Set in Your Home State, A Book Published in 2016

BOOKS BEING READ

Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard

The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman

Perfect Scoundrels by Ally Carter
    Updated. I finished Uncommon Criminals on Friday and Reaching Higher on Saturday morning.

Comment

UPDATED

After finishing this one, I'll only have six categories left and my next one will be a quick read.

Now, I'm reading The Jungle Books by Rudyard Kipling, which is a book becoming a movie this year. If I don't read something else that fits better, I'm counting it for the unfamiliar culture (Indian) category, which I could even do for Takei's since I learned about Japanese American culture and what life was like in internment especially.

I read The Treasure Hunt by Bill Cosby, which yes is a little kid's book and took about ten minutes, but I "read" it because it seemed somehow weird (like a sociology experiment) to read a possible rapist's kid's book and (more importantly) because it counted for two quick categories: (1) An Oprah Book Club selection; and obviously (2) a book written by a comedian (the book I'd like to read I'll have to pick up second-hand online and I'm in no rush).

I read To the Stars: The Autobiography of George Takei as my autobiography choice (also a backup celeb book).

I read William Shatner's Leonard, which will count as (1) a book written by a celebrity; and in (2) this year.

I read Eiji Tsuburaya: Master of Monsters by August Ragone, which I'll count for a book recommended by someone I just met. I had the book recommended to me by several people (including the author ), one or two of which I'm pretty sure was on the day I met them.

I read Spade and Archer by Joe Gores, which covers the prequel portion of the challenge a book (The Maltese Falcon) and its prequel, finishing it. Both were mysteries.

Comment

PACE YOURSELF! You're making me look bad.

Comment

Originally posted by W.West View Post
          PACE YOURSELF! You're making me look bad.
          Well, since it took me a long time to finish the children's book (it was two volumes), I guess I did. Next up is Little Red Riding Hood: A Casebook (ed. by Alan Dundes), which I'm counting for a book based on a fairy tale. It has the alternate bonus of making up one of last year's categories (I'm sort of trying to make up the 2015's Challenge too): a title with a color in it.

Finished Virginia M. Wright's Route 1 Maine for a Road Trip book.
          Space Cop
          The Dandy
          Last edited by Space Cop; 09-07-2016, 08:17 PM.

Comment

BOOKS READ

Categories Covered: A book written by a comedian and A New York Times Bestseller and A Book Written by a Celebrity

Comments: Its Hunger Games with superpowers but less kids killing and more romance but poorly developed romance. I called the plot twist a mile away. The sequel comes out this year.

Hard Choices
            by Hilary Clinton
            Comments: I'll likely never read another Political memoir again. A lot of "I did this. I said this. I loved this. We didn't get along BUT..." And I was really upset when this clocked in just under 600 pages.

by Bruce Feldman
            Comments: Such a great read. Its a few years old, so its even better knowing the people discussed turned out to be relevant or irrelevant. A must read for any college football fan.

Comments: Fun book. A good sequel to a really fun book and while this is a bit cheesy with the romance stuff, everything heist centered is just lovely.

Reaching Higher: Mark Dantonio and the Rise of Michigan State Football by The State News
            Comments: Lots of pictures and lots of praise for the head football coach of the Michigan State Spartans. That's about all I can say about this. Nothing special, and certainly not worth the 20 bucks I paid for it. Maybe if the team had won the National Championship, it could hold a sentimental value or something but I'm not even a fan of the team, just an admirer of the coach and I'm still left unimpressed.

How to Write a Novella in 24 Hrs by Andrew Mayne
            Comments: Great for the price but I doubt it actually gets any creativity flowing for me.
            Categories Covered: A Book That's Under 150 Pages, A Self Improvement Book, A Book You Can Finished in a Day

BOOKS BEING READ

A World of Ice and Fire The Untold History of Westeros and the Game of Thronesby George R R Martin

The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo by Amy Schumer
            Updated! FINALLY! Slight progress.

Comment

Updated! FINALLY! Slight progress.
              Good. At least I'm not the only one trying.

Finished the above and Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by JK Rowling, John Tiffany, and Jack Thorne, which is my choice for the first book I saw in a bookstore.

Now, I just started (barely) Tom Wolfe's The Right Stuff, which is a National Book Award winner (as a bonus, it's also a category I missed last year (I'm half heartedly aiming to finish that too)--a book from the year I was born, 1979.

When I'm done this, I'll only have two categories left, but I know the one (political memoir) will bog me down.
              Space Cop
              The Dandy
              Last edited by Space Cop; 09-19-2016, 01:22 PM.

Comment

BOOKS READ

Hard Choices
                by Hilary Clinton

by Bruce Feldman

Comments: Great for the price but I doubt it actually gets any creativity flowing for me.
                Categories Covered: A Book That's Under 150 Pages, A Self Improvement Book, A Book You Can Finished in a Day

Comments: Better than the first novel, which I mention above is a poor attempt to do Harry Potter and Hunger Games at once. Its the second novel that sheds that skin and becomes something that feels truly original.
                Categories Covered: A Science Fictional Novel, A Book and its Prequel

BOOKS BEING READ

Cane Mutiny: How the Miami Hurricanes Overturned the Football Establishment by Bruce Feldman

A World of Ice and Fire The Untold History of Westeros and the Game of Thronesby George R R Martin

Updated again.

Comment

Finally on to the political memoir with Ronald Reagan in Private by Jim Kuhn, who was his personal assistant.

Comment

BOOKS READ

Hard Choices
                    by Hilary Clinton

by Bruce Feldman

Comments: Better than the first novel, which I mention above is a poor attempt to do Harry Potter and Hunger Games at once. Its the second novel that sheds that skin and becomes something that feels truly original.
                    Categories Covered: A Science Fictional Novel, A Book and its Prequel

Comments: Hilariously funny and inspiring. She never hits you over the hit with a preachy "You can do it!" sermon or catchphrase but her story is filled with a bunch of "Don't repeat the same mistakes I did, please." lessons amidst the comedy.
                    Categories Covered: An Autobiography

BOOKS BEING READ

Cane Mutiny: How the Miami Hurricanes Overturned the Football Establishment by Bruce Feldman

Updated with me finishing Amy Schumer's book.

Comment

I finished my last category (a book you haven't read since high school) with JD Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye. However, I won't really be done until I finish my through-the-Bible-in-a-year readings next month since that would appear to be the only book I'm reading over 600 pages.

Next, I think I'll try to knock off the categories I missed from last year's challenge.

Space Cop
                      The Dandy
                      Last edited by Space Cop; 11-12-2016, 04:13 AM.

Comment

^^Update:

I officially finished this year's challenge this morning with my normal through-the-Bible-in-a-year (King James) reading.

Today, I'm going to finish the last category I missed from last year's Challenge (report to come); have about 60 pages left at this minute.

I read 31 books this year. That number, however, includes 5 or 6 young adult and children's books. The Cosby one was for little kids and took about three minutes to read. On the other hand, one of them was a collection of three novellas and another was a bundle of two original books. I did not count graphic novels or portions of books I read (like short stories or for research).
                        Space Cop
                        The Dandy
                        Last edited by Space Cop; 01-01-2017, 03:21 PM.

Comment

If anyone's interested, here's the 2017 Reading Challenge. There are 40 categories in the regular challenge and an additional 12 in the advanced section (bringing it up to one a week).

Since I don't intend to do it this year (I need some more reading freedom for a while) and since there were only two of us by the middle of last year, I'm not going to start a new thread, but feel free if anyone wants to. Conversely, the mods can feel free to merge the two old threads.

Comment

lol Thanks for posting anyway.

Comment

lol Thanks for posting anyway.
                              There's some fun ones there and some goofy ones too (just like last year). It looks doable to me, but a few would be chores (like a book with career advice). I may do this again some year, but I have a stack of books I'd like to read for now (not to mention accumulated comics, magazines, and trade paperbacks).

Comment

Yeah, I'd rather have my freedom.

Comment

Working...
                                X