The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > The Green Lantern
FLASHCHAT

View Poll Results: Does Hal deserve to permanently stay in the spotlight?
Yes 7 58.33%
No 5 41.67%
Jury's still out 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2019, 02:50 PM   #26
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

GL also flourished even better for 10 years under Alan Scott. He carried a solo title 2 anthologies and a team book. His sales numbers were larger than anything GL has seen since.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:10 PM   #27
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Very good point.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:05 PM   #28
Star-Lantern
Hal's Understudy

Well, that was, of course, a completely different era when the industry as a whole was a lot healthier. However, I don't think Hal Jordan is necessary to have as a lead character for the Green Lantern franchise to flourish. However, he is, by far, the most used one, and as such, has probably built the biggest fanbase of comic buyers.

Working on comics myself, I've really learned something. Even though I didn't really learn it, because it's something we all know. The more content you put out, the more people seem to like your stuff... If it's any good. Like I said, it's something you already know, but when you actually see it in effect with your own stuff... I guess... you know it... more? You just kind of feel it differently, and your perspective on some things can open, widen, or change.

Hal Jordan has a lot more content as a leading man than any of the others, so I see why some people in power keep going back to him, and why some fans prefer him most. There's a lot of precedent there, and since he has way more content behind him than the others, there's more for writers to work with, if they care to.

I think what I'm getting at is my perspective changed from being a fan of comics, to more of a maker of comics, and looking at it that way, I understand why Hal Jordan is often in the spotlight compared to the others. Which isn't bad, because lately, I've found fans to sometimes be somewhat irrational or... mmm... how to say... their vision is sometimes clouded by fandom. It's understandable, because being a fan of something is mostly an emotional response. Things like reason, practicality, objective reality, often take a backseat to feelings.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 01-08-2019 at 11:28 PM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:22 AM   #29
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Lantern View Post
... lately, I've found fans to sometimes be somewhat irrational or... mmm... how to say... their vision is sometimes clouded by fandom. It's understandable, because being a fan of something is mostly an emotional response. Things like reason, practicality, objective reality, often take a backseat to feelings.
"Reason" and "objective reality" have almost no place in dramatic fiction. Those are pretty much opposing forces.
Kane2814 is offline   Reply With Quote