Do you care about Baz and Jessica?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
    I don't hate them,But I don't like them. I get why they were created. Geoff gets a chunk of that money when they get used.
    And then he (well, he used to) gets to say when and where they get used. Pretty messed up.

Comment

I doubt it. I can't see WB letting dictate to Lauren Faust.
      Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

I don't really have a problem with either one. Geoff Johns created them both, didn't he? He did so with a plan.

They're not but their both being Lanterns in 2019 is a big win for progress in comics.
        Tell me you hate your boyfriend and love me.

INVISIBLE SKY DADDY TO THE RESCUE!!!

You don't have to be stupid to believe in God. But it helps.

You can tell a Yorkshireman....but you can't tell him much.

Comment

Originally posted by HalFingJordan View Post
          I don't really have a problem with either one. Geoff Johns created them both, didn't he? He did so with a plan.

They're not but their both being Lanterns in 2019 is a big win for progress in comics.
          That's the problem though. Progressiveness has become the main focus of the industry. They are more worried about not pissing off some weirdo in Portland then,selling a Comic Book to everybody else.

Comment

They should make 30 new human Green Lanterns. Every one from a different race and culture from across the globe. More representation. Maybe even 40 new GLs. The. Give each one their own title. And 40 new JLA titles so each one gets a chance to shine in the League.

And if those 40 solo titles don't work out, just put all 40 of them in ONE Green Lantern monthly title and make it an ensemble cast.

Comment

and 50 variant covers for every issue! That should fix the issue!

Comment

And save the comic industry!

Comment

Originally posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
                  That's the problem though. Progressiveness has become the main focus of the industry. They are more worried about not pissing off some weirdo in Portland than selling a Comic Book to everybody else.
                  Very true. That's where we're at.

Comment

Hey, the upshot is, in a few years, we'll all be sitting around waxing nostalgic with each other talking back in the days when DC and Marvel made actual comic books about their characters.

Comment

Appealing to different types of people is fine, but the problem is how some of these companies do it. First, they will prioritize progressiveness before telling a good story. Baz and Cruz are not good for the overall story of Green Lantern, because they're crowding an already overcrowded area. There just isn't enough room for them, and they water down the concept of Green Lantern.

Then these companies often try this type of thing in IPs that already have an audience, and they push these types of characters at the expense of characters that established audience wants to see.

You can appeal to new people without frustrating the ones that are already there. The best solution is to give the new characters their own identities and their own corners of the universe to play in. Of course, doing that well would require about 50 times more effort, and DC and Marvel's audiences don't seem interested in anything new, because they're mostly the people who were buying decades ago, and they're set in their ways.

Looking at the situation while understanding both sides, it's really a catch 22. The ultimate problem is that it is really unlikely that worthwhile new IPs will be built in the DC and Marvel universes these days. Creators don't want to surrender rights and the DC and Marvel audiences aren't really receptive to new ideas. However, though it's a long shot, a creator might be able to give the audience something they didn't know they wanted, but it would have to be REALLY good (like unusually good) to get any traction in this market, and it would require enough time to find its audience, which DC and Marvel likely wouldn't grant.

So yeah, you're back at a problem that's pretty much unsolvable. Any creator who has an unusually brilliant new property won't surrender it to DC and Marvel these days, and DC and Marvel wouldn't give it enough time to find its audience before pulling the plug on it. Thus, you get extraneous characters like Baz and Cruz stuffed into Green Lantern because it's the easiest way to try to diversify your audience, despite it coming with a lot of damaging effects.
                      ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Do I care about the United Ring Bearers of Benetton?

No. Not even a little bit.

And, in case anyone is taking a poll, I don't fee a need to see a transgender sexually fluid lantern, a mixed-race undocumented asylum-seeking lantern, a disabled progressive vegan lantern, or any other "woke" token contrivance.

Comment

Originally posted by LanternAlgae View Post
                          ...And, in case anyone is taking a poll, I don't fee a need to see a transgender sexually fluid lantern, a mixed-race undocumented asylum-seeking lantern, a disabled progressive vegan lantern, or any other "woke" token contrivance.
                          In Green Lanterns, during a Jessica story they actually did do asylum-seeking refugees. It was pretty obvious and heavy handed.

Comment

I'm really glad we don't hear much about these characters anymore and the focus has re-shifted back to Hal.
                            http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have nothing against Jessica Cruz, but I don't particularly care about her, either. It's possible that that could be remedied by more things like Justice League vs the Fatal Five, but I doubt it. Baz on the other hand always felt like a heavy handed misfire, and I find no genuine value in his character whatsoever.
                              Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

I dont give 2 shits about them honestly
                                .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

Working...
                                X