Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All 3 of these covers are HIDEOUS. seriously, that DC considers this artwork good enough to sell these three issues shows how low the standards have dropped in the industry since 2011. Just ugly. Your eye isn't drawn to anything in particular, instead it's just this big pile of crap I'm looking at that my brain has no interest in registering.

Comment

• Comment

• Excellent. Their Constantine scenes were the best bits in DCeased.

Comment

• Rub some sunscreen on your circuits, because DC’s favorite cyborgs are hitting the beach in DC Cybernetic Summer on July 28! In this sizzling summertime anthology special, Harley Quinn and Sy Borgman conquer a truly titanic water slide, Cyborg, Superman, and Cyborg Superman find it difficult to have a conversation, much less a fight, and Batman tries everything to escape a summer cookout—even taking on the omnipotent Brother Eye and his newly infectious O.M.A.C.s!

And it’s not just the cyborgs hitting the surf! Flashes from across the multiverse gather for a race to claim the fastest flash in the multiverse! Mercury Flash from Earth-44 is out to win it all this year, the only person standing in his way is…Barry Allen! And Red Tornado’s on a camping trip with his wife Kathy and his daughter Traya, but he’s distracted by Justice League matters! When a threat emerges, will Red Tornado be able to protect his family?

All these and more sunburnt stories that are worth getting sand in your motherboard for!
          • Red Tornado in “Summer Camp” by Stephanie Phillips and Leila del Duca
          • Cyborg, Superman, and Cyborg Superman in “Catfish Crisis” by Stuart Moore and Cully Hamner
          • Superboy, starring the Legion of Super-Heroes, in “Summer Lovin’” by Liz Erickson and Nik Virella
          • Batman, O.M.A.C. and Brother Eye in “The Limits of Control” by Corinna Bechko and Gabriel Hardman
          • Robot Man in “The Summer Blues” by Max Bemis and Greg Smallwood
          • Harley Quinn and Sy Borgman in “Splish Splash Special” by Che Grayson and Marguerite Sauvage
          • Booster Gold, Blue Beetle and Skeets in “The Boys of Summer” by Heath Corson and Scott Koblish
          • Mercury Flash in “The Speedster Games” by Joshua Williamson and David Lafuente
          • Midnighter, Apollo, Monsieur Mallah and The Brain in “Out There” by Steve Orlando and Paul Pelletier
          • Platinum and Wonder Woman in “Fandom” by Andrew Constant and Nicola Scott

DC Cybernetic Summer is an 80-page, Prestige format one-shot on sale at comic book stores and participating online retailers on July 28 with a cover by Dan Mora.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
            All 3 of these covers are HIDEOUS. seriously, that DC considers this artwork good enough to sell these three issues shows how low the standards have dropped in the industry since 2011. Just ugly. Your eye isn't drawn to anything in particular, instead it's just this big pile of crap I'm looking at that my brain has no interest in registering.
            But you're a heavy-metal guy. You're supposed to be flashing the horns while you read these solicits and screaming "that's so metal."

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
              But you're a heavy-metal guy. You're supposed to be flashing the horns while you read these solicits and screaming "that's so metal."
              No, he does the head-bob, air guitar thing of Beavis and Butt-Head.

But he's right. Back in the Silver Age DC operated under the assumption that the cover sold the comic. That wasn't entirely true, but still, the cover is the first thing anybody sees, and that stuff there isn't going to make anyone interested in spending four dollars for a comic.

Comment

• Hey! My heavy metal fanboy credentials are in order!

Seriously, there are many ways to design covers to grab your attention and make you want to read the story within. It's all about layout. And the layouts for all 3 of these covers do not work. They are too cluttered, and not cluttered in a George Perez "I got this" kind of way. They are like Scott McDaniels if he saw fit to jam pack every inch of space with unnecessary lines and details, and the colors are an explosion overloading your senses so bad you can't even tell what you are looking at.

It's like an episode of Hoarders was expressed as a comic page.

You know who used to make really effective covers? The guy that did the covers for the Connor Hawke Green Arrow run in the 90s. That guy knew how to compose a cover that drew you in. "More" is a bad thing if you dont know how and when to give it.

Comment

• DC Comics September 2020 Solicitations

Comment

• Christ, I hate this Newsarama redesign, anyways a few thoughts:
                    • A lot of these covers are not good.
                    • Detective Comics 1027 looks fantastic based off that creative team lineup. DC can make up as many fake anniversaries as they want if they're gunna put together this kind of line up.
                    • Speaking of Detective Comics 1027 this totally makes it look like Alfred and Robin killed Bruce's parents:

• Dafuq is going on here?

• Looks like Dick Grayson is finally back. Praise Satan.
                    • So I jumped off Batman and the Outsiders pretty quick after it's debut but it seems like we're a year+ into the book and Bryan Hill is still on this Ra's Al Ghul storyline. Given the sales of the book I wonder if he's even going to be able to finish it before it get's cancelled.
                    • Having the JSA popup in a random Hawkman issue after Snyder reintroduced them in JL seems kind of lackluster.
                    • Every month I am amazed that Justice League Odyssey is still around.
                    • I wonder if they'll relaunch Shazam with a new creative team. Johns artificially killed that book with all the delays.
                    • All the solicits for the Hill House Horror trades note that the books will include a vellum dust jacket. Curious to see what those will look like.
                    • Covers I like:

• Covers that are gross:

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypo View Post
                      Christ, I hate this Newsarama redesign, anyways a few thoughts:
                      • Dafuq is going on here?

I guess Wally's Dr. Manhattan costume wasn't "metal" enough.

Having the JSA popup in a random Hawkman issue after Snyder reintroduced them in JL seems kind of lackluster.
                      DC had gone through great lengths to make sure that starting with the New 52, Hawkman had no ties to the Justice Society, because the Justice Society didn't exist. Now that they exist again, it has to be adressed.

Every month I am amazed that Justice League Odyssey is still around.
                      Yeah, DC is still trying to make their Guardians of the Galaxy happen. It reeks of desperation at this point.

Comment

• One positive aspect of the JSA not existing in the post 2011 nu52 DC Universe, was that they were no longer in constant danger of being dragged through the mud the way they had been their last few years of publication. With DC dipping their big toe in Society waters again, all those fears are coming back to me.

Comment

• I often think what the DC Universe would look like if Carlin hadn't canceled the Strazewski/Parobeck Justice Society after not even a dozen issues. If that had been the take other writers emulated instead of the Justice Society of Edgelords Robinson/Goyer/Johns book.

Comment

• DC AND HBO MAX ANNOUNCE NEW ORIGINAL DIGITAL COMIC SERIES

Blech, synergy.

Comment

• I'm furious. After all of the shit DC pulled during a pandemic that prevents customers from getting to my store, doubling my shipping costs for DC books? Now they add more stories to bypass my store completely?
                              I don't get it, is Jim Lee on a vendetta against brick and mortar stores?

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                                I'm furious. After all of the shit DC pulled during a pandemic that prevents customers from getting to my store, doubling my shipping costs for DC books? Now they add more stories to bypass my store completely?
                                I don't get it, is Jim Lee on a vendetta against brick and mortar stores?
                                • Jim Lee personally helped raise $600,000+ dollars for brick and mortar shops via his sketch drive, so no, I don't think he has a vendetta
                                • You really think DC editorial is behind a marketing push for HBO MAX which is AT&T's new baby? This has probably been in the works in some form since HBO MAX was announced back in 2018, way before the pandemic.
                                • You really think the below is competing against the product you sell in your store in any way? Who is this even for?
                                  These new comics also celebrate the recent launch of the new HBO Max and are chock-full of Easter Eggs and fun nods to much of the 10 thousand hours of premium content currently available on the streaming platform such as Friends, HBO’s Game of Thrones, The Big Bang Theory, HBO’s Sex and the City, Scooby-Doo and more. Can you find them all?!

Free to download starting today, this initial launch of the digital comic includes three 8-page chapters featuring everyday people, Hector, Brian and Olivia (HBO), who meet Max the dog, gain access to different superpowers and become able to teleport, shape shift, fly and save lives around the world. The comics embody the theme that HBO Max has something for everyone and that everyone can be their own superhero and take themselves to the max!

“We are thrilled to partner with the amazing team at DC to present this creative personification of HBO Max as a team of powerful comic book superheroes,” said Robert Greenblatt, Chairman, Warner Media Entertainment and Direct-To-Consumer. “These fun, original stories depict a diverse range of ordinary individuals who are symbolic of the depth and breadth of programming that is available on the platform, driving home the message that HBO Max has something for everyone.”

Comment

Working...
                                X