The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Red Lanterns/Warrior/Guy Gardner
FLASHCHAT

Red Lanterns

Old 08-09-2017, 05:13 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Martini Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default So what happened to Guy Gardner?

I saw he was ring-slinging with a red and a green ring for a while (which seemed odd... by about where I left off in GL with the comics, Red Rings basically did exactly the same things as GL rings with no loss of sanity anymore), now it just looks like he's back to square one with his green? What happened, and why? Just "because status quo" again?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:39 PM   #2
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Gerard Jones and Beau Smith write the best version of Guy. That should have never been messed with. And he's a Green Lantern and nothing else. Put him in space and Hal on Earth, and it'll work. Get "creative" and do other stuff with him, and it'll flop.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:59 PM   #3
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
Gerard Jones and Beau Smith write the best version of Guy. That should have never been messed with. And he's a Green Lantern and nothing else. Put him in space and Hal on Earth, and it'll work. Get "creative" and do other stuff with him, and it'll flop.
It's kind of funny that you should point to Beau Smith as one of those writing the best version of Guy, given that he never wrote Guy as a GL. Even Gerard Jones wrote him as not being a GL for more issues than he wrote him as a GL. How is it that the two writers you point to as writing the best version of Guy are also the two writers that primarily contradicted your "GL and nothing else" rule?
Old 08-10-2017, 03:59 PM   #4
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
It's kind of funny that you should point to Beau Smith as one of those writing the best version of Guy, given that he never wrote Guy as a GL. Even Gerard Jones wrote him as not being a GL for more issues than he wrote him as a GL. How is it that the two writers you point to as writing the best version of Guy are also the two writers that primarily contradicted your "GL and nothing else" rule?
I'm talking about their characterization of him, not the role he was playing in the DCU when they wrote him.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:00 PM   #5
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I was just scratching my head reading that same post Ed.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #6
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

It's that characterization that later writers haven't grasped. Or maybe even haven't bothered to read up on. He should have rough edges. Hard on the outside but soft on the inside. Nobody now gets that.

But getting the characterization right won't matter if you make him something besides a Green Lantern.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:21 PM   #7
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

To answer Andrews question, they were just getting back to status quo. Lost Army and Edge of Oblivion didn't do anything for the titles so after Guy wore Red and Green rings in that last mini series he was back to just a green ring in GLC come DCU Rebirth. You can tell by reading the Rebirth one shots that came before the current monthlies if you're gonna enjoy it or not.

~//V\\~

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world." - Albert Einstein
-//V\\- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:38 PM   #8
Mister Ed

EDIT: Deleted my last response to Trey, because I realized it wasn't going to do anything but drag out into a pointless argument.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 08-10-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Mister Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:47 PM   #9
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I liked the way they characterized him. I didn't like the fact that he wasn't a GL when they wrote him. Clear now?
Old 08-10-2017, 04:56 PM   #10
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

One-note characterization is probably Geoff's biggest weakness. Like Hal acts without thinking about it. That got old fast. Guy is all about anger got old even faster.

Oh, and Guy needs to make you laugh once or twice in every story. That's doesn't happen now. But he should also be like a male hormone.in human form.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 08-10-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:31 AM   #11
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
I liked the way they characterized him. I didn't like the fact that he wasn't a GL when they wrote him. Clear now?
Actually, come to think of it, I totally understand.

I really thought the whole Warrior thing was pretty stupid, and cringed any time they had stories that actually focused on his "Vuldarian heritage" (the powers were just kind of lame, but I hated the backstory behind them even more). And yet, I also liked Guy's characterization during those years.

I still tend to disagree with your premise that he has to be a GL, since I really liked the time he spent wielding Sinestro's ring (obviously tastes differ, and that's fine), but on reflection I can certainly understand liking his characterization even when I didn't like his powerset.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:58 AM   #12
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern Initiate

There's literally no explanation for why Guy Gardner used both a green and red ring at the same time, or even why he went back to green. That was going on during Green Lantern: Lost Army, and it seems DC wants readers to forget everything about that. Lots of unexplained stuff there that will likely never be resolved.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:18 AM   #13
JohnMc
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Actually, come to think of it, I totally understand.

I really thought the whole Warrior thing was pretty stupid, and cringed any time they had stories that actually focused on his "Vuldarian heritage" (the powers were just kind of lame, but I hated the backstory behind them even more). And yet, I also liked Guy's characterization during those years.
Guy became a great character during his Warrior years under Beau Smith. He got over alot of his issues [which is why I hate that they undid that] mended fences with the majority of the superhero community [heck even him and Superman were practically best friends for awhile]

To me the absolute best issue of the run is the Christmas issue where thanks to Phantom Stranger and the Spectre meets the spirits of Mace, Kari, Ice. And the pivotal moment of the issue that finally makes peace with his Dad [which has also been undone over the years]
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote