The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0
View Poll Results: Which alias was the best?
Alan Scott - Sentinel 2 33.33%
Guy Gardner - Warrior 0 0%
Guy Gardner - Red Lantern 1 16.67%
Hal Jordan - Parallax 3 50.00%
Hal Jordan - Spectre 1 16.67%
Hal Jordan - Renegade 1 16.67%
Kyle Rayner - Ion (1 or 2) 2 33.33%
Kyle Rayner - White Lantern 0 0%
John Stewart - Darkstar 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2018, 05:35 AM   #1
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Default Favorite GL Alternate Identity?

Pretty much every one of the Lanterns has been something else by now. More than just a Lantern. Some of the aliases stood out more than others, some just lasted waaaay too long and sucked the life out of good characters. So here's a poll to show which aliases you liked the most. Tell us why you liked one or disliked another, or recommend some reading perhaps.

For me... it was young Alan Scott as Sentinel (as well as the brief time he was called GL beforehand). His mentor role in the Kyle era made me a big fan, but I think a younger Alan on his own and maybe back in Gotham would be better than a lot of the stuff we're getting now.

~//V\\~
Old 03-16-2018, 07:20 AM   #2
Star-Lantern
Hal's Understudy

Being completely honest, and not even attempting to troll, or anything like that, I think Parallax is the best. Setting aside how some Hal Jordan fans may feel about that whole thing, Parallax has A LOT going for him.

First, his visual is AWESOME! It just exudes power and it's clear right from seeing him that he's someone to take very seriously. His name is cool and fits the visual and character very well. Parallax is one of the precious instances when everything from his look, his name, his powers, and other things just come together perfectly.

I really think he is one of the greatest Green Lantern villains ever. Perhaps even the best. One of Green Lantern's severe weaknesses is that it has a shortage of good villains. And a strong case can certainly be made that an antagonist in a story is more important than a protagonist. Conflict is what drives plots, after all.

In my opinion, Green Lantern only has about three or four villains that are worth anything. Krona, Sinestro, Parallax, and I guess Star Sapphire. The Qwardians have potential, but they never really meet it. The Controllers also have a lot of potential, but writers don't value them at all, so they are rarely used. You can spin Anti-Monitor as a Green Lantern villain, but the specific connection isn't made enough.

So, Parallax (the Hal Jordan looking one that doesn't have fangs) is one of Green Lanterns few great villains to me, so that alone makes him the best alternate identity for me. But besides even all this, I think he's also one of the better DC villains in general.

EDIT:
Oh, I forgot the Manhunters. They are cool villains, but like many others, like Krona, and the Controllers, and even the Qwardians these days, they don't get used all that often. Like some of those other villains, it also hurts them, in my opinion, that they don't have a central figurehead or any real characters within their groups that readers know very well.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 03-16-2018 at 07:25 AM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:00 PM   #3
Space Cop
The Dandy

It's close between Sentinel and Ion, but I'll have to edge out for Alan, mostly for the reasons M gives. He had cool powers and interesting relationships.

I couldn't pick either of Hal's other IDs because he's always a GL to me.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:14 PM   #4
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I can't vote for any of them. It's not a question of what was the best, but the least offensive. All of those were listed were awful (IMO). MAYBE John as a Darkstar was the least awful? Maybe?

Nah. Hal as Renegade. Because he was still kind of a Green Lantern who just had a mission.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:27 AM   #5
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I actually liked the Renegade concept. A GL with a starship, crew, etc. hadn't been done before as far as I know. The only thing that didn't take was his crew. At the time I felt DC was just trying to make Hal more like Starlord.... and he was to an extent. However if TPTB would've really got behind the idea and taken some bigger chances I think it could've worked for awhile longer. I would've made Martian Manhunter one of his crew, given Darlene a hologram face or something, and added at least one more person. But NOT G'Nort. Maybe some new form of Hawkgirl since the only one in the New52 was on Earth 2.....

~//V\\~
Old 03-17-2018, 12:39 AM   #6
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I agree that the Renegade concept worked, at least on paper. And only as a short term thing. Nothing I would have EVER wanted to see drag on for years if they pulled it off. 6 to 9 months would have been enough. But I think it just didn't come out well in execution. The stories just feel bland. Or at least, the art helped make them bland. I wasn't ever engaged in any of the supporting cast like I should have been.

Still, I think it was the closest I've seen making a GL something different than a GL work.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:21 AM   #7
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

The inconsistent art didn't help matters. Again... the stories themselves had potential, the execution just fell flat. I don't think anybody ever got attached to Virgo or Trapper. And it was kinda messed up Hal had an adventure on Earth only to go back to the stars both before and after the New52 ended.

I think the Renegade concept could have lasted, and under the right creative team it could've been as good or better than our favorite human GL's back on Earth. It was a nice change of pace and opened up a few doors.

~//V\\~