The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Video Games
FLASHCHAT

Qward

Old 07-16-2008, 05:19 PM   #51
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Awesome video. I'm also waiting to see how they pull this off. If ya can't be your favorite Lantern and battle in more places than just Gotham and Metropolis I'm gonna be ticked! But the art of Jim Lee inspiring the game's look is a big plus. It'd be nice to have a whole space map constantly growing in size with a few dozen GL's.

~KL~

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world." - Albert Einstein
-//V\\- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:41 PM   #52
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

I said it b4, and I'll say it again: if theres no facility to become a GL at some/ANY point.....this game will never see my money.

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:40 PM   #53
Andrew NDB
Martini Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lishego View Post
Nice Charcter selections, wonder how many will be avalible,
Hmm? None are available. You can't be any character from DC... you have to create your own.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:43 PM   #54
Parrylakks
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Parrylakks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBond View Post
Or they may not...Sony hasn't had the best of luck in their MMO's...I've got a 360 and I'm a little po'd this won't be available at the start with the XBOX 360.
It won't be avaialble at all with the XBox 360... not ever... DCUO is being developed by Sony Online Entertainment... releasing it on the XBox 360 would be like Microsoft releasing a game of their own on the PS3... it just ain't gonna happen.
Parrylakks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:46 PM   #55
Tazer

Yo.

ya know, I *would* accept just becoming a White Disc........

PLEASE DC/Sony!! MAKE ME A WHITE DISC!!!!

*falls down onto his knees in supplication*

Tazer

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:02 PM   #56
Andrew NDB
Martini Master

Not going to happen. Though I bet the customization options will allow you to design yourself a costume that more or less resembles a Green Lantern uniform. And you can probably select from at least some Green Lantern-like superpowers.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:46 PM   #57
MBond

Quote:
Not going to happen. Though I bet the customization options will allow you to design yourself a costume that more or less resembles a Green Lantern uniform. And you can probably select from at least some Green Lantern-like superpowers.
Well in city of heroes, for instance, you have certain contacts that will give you different tasks and missions, based on the origin of your character, you will be given a couple of specific contacts that only your origin can access.

I would assume something similar would happen with the DCO. I would think you would create a character, then after a certain level you could speak with a GL "contact" and he/she/it would put you through certain tasks or a set of missions. After completion, then you would be issued "entry" to the Green Lantern Corps and could access special missions and powers through that special contact. That would probably be the best thing to do.

They also could just make it so that players could create their own groups and just have the players make the "Greene Lantern Corps".
Old 07-16-2008, 08:49 PM   #58
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

There is probably no chance that the word Corps will even be in this game. Now, making groups...thats plausible.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:31 PM   #59
Andrew NDB
Martini Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBond View Post
They also could just make it so that players could create their own groups and just have the players make the "Greene Lantern Corps".
Exactly. There's nothing stopping players from creating characters that have Green Lantern-like costumes with at least some of the Green Lantern superpowers, then going into the game and adventuring together and calling themselves whatever they want.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:12 PM   #60
Tazer

Yo.

Quote:
Exactly. There's nothing stopping players from creating characters that have Green Lantern-like costumes with at least some of the Green Lantern superpowers, then going into the game and adventuring together and calling themselves whatever they want.
.............................YUCK!!

Tazer

Quote:
Old 07-17-2008, 06:50 AM   #61
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

Default The new DC game

Have you cats seen this?

http://gamenewsi.com/index.php?itemid=22647&catid=1

I doubt I will buy a PS3 to play it but I got to tell you seeing Sinestro makes it tempting.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:04 AM   #62
Jack-O-Lantern
Master Customizer

Yeah, we've been talking about it over here:

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...ead.php?t=3893

I can't wait for this game.
Jack-O-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:30 AM   #63
Andrew NDB
Martini Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
I doubt I will buy a PS3 to play it
But you have a PC, don't you?
Old 07-17-2008, 07:46 AM   #64
Parrylakks
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Parrylakks

Video Game related threads belong in General... and since there is already a big thread for this game there... merged.

Last edited by Parrylakks; 07-17-2008 at 07:48 AM.
Parrylakks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:59 PM   #65
Tazer

Yo.

Quote:
right, since we can see a mini-Batman standing NEXT TO Bruce in that B-cave scene.

I also saw that B. Adam is shown projecting lightning from his hands (wat da hell??), and it looks like there might be an honest-to-gosh speedster -class (we saw 2 others running w/Flash).

overall it lookd pretty keen, but like I said b4........

Tazer

Quote:
Old 07-18-2008, 08:01 AM   #66
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea

Being able to play a Green Lantern or something damned close to will be what decides me on buying and paying to play this game. That and my ability to sweet talk Anna in to allowing it

Darth_Andrea
Old 07-18-2008, 08:07 AM   #67
Andrew NDB
Martini Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
Yo.

right, since we can see a mini-Batman standing NEXT TO Bruce in that B-cave scene.
Pretty sure you can make a superhero that looks a little bit like Batman.

Quote:
I also saw that B. Adam is shown projecting lightning from his hands (wat da hell??), and it looks like there might be an honest-to-gosh speedster -class (we saw 2 others running w/Flash).
Pretty sure you can have super-speed as a trait.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:52 PM   #68
Tazer

Yo.

Quote:
Pretty sure you can make a superhero that looks a little bit like Batman.
ya might be right here, but.....wouldnt ya find that just a teensy-weeny bit annoying??

Quote:
Pretty sure you can have super-speed as a trait.
yea, but do we get speed-TRICKs is wat I wanna know, cuz that could be a deal maker OR breaker for some.

Tazer

Quote:
Old 07-18-2008, 05:37 PM   #69
Lord Malvolio
Corps Honor Guard

Send a message via Yahoo to Lord Malvolio

The problem I am seeing is, if the main line heroes are playable, there will be dozens of Batmen, Supermen, Green Lantern's, Green Arrows, etc running around. Unless the mainline heroes are NOT playable, and are NPC's, and you have to make some generic hero/villian to play, but then what is the point of playing a DC game when you can do that in City of Heroes? I am very interested in it thou as I play WoW and used to play CoH, so we'll see.

Lord Malvolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:41 PM   #70
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Multiple characters would be fine with the different servers and such. Anybody thinking of a Multiverse of sorts for this game? It'd be dumb to play a DCU game as anybody else besides those characters in the DCU. If it's just a CoH knockoff in Metropolis and Gotham then I'll be the first to say no way to this game.

~KL~

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world." - Albert Einstein
Old 07-18-2008, 06:59 PM   #71
Tazer

Yo.

agreed. they should have instances in other realms w/in the DCU at large like :HardCore Station, Apokolips, New Genesis, Oa (natch), Colu, Rann, Thanagar.......

Tazer

Quote:

Last edited by Tazer; 07-25-2008 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:06 PM   #72
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Thinking more about the create a character in the game and half of what I'm thinking isn't too bad. Being in the police department in Gotham and becoming your own vigilante would be kinda cool, same goes for creating an alternate Earth/Kryptonian/Daxamite/Clone of Superman, or your own GL. Tazer brought the idea of Rann and Thanagar, imagine creating a wingman or a soldier Adam Strange style on Rann like Vath!

Might not be as bad as I first thought.

~KL~

Old 07-24-2008, 01:15 AM   #73
Old School
Guardian of the Universe

Send a message via AIM to Old School
Cool SDCC '08 - Sony's DC Universe Online Presentation

from www.newsarama.com

Wednesday, at Comic-Con International: San Diego, Sony Online Entertainment presented an exclusive look at DC Universe Online—a new MMO utilizing the DC Universe and its wealth of characters and concepts. Along side, SOE President John Smedley, VP of Development John Blakely, and Studio Creative Director Chris Cao, comic book industry mainstay Jim Lee, the Executive Creative Director of the DCU Online project, rounded out the panel.

The DC Online experience is being billed as an experience that gamers won’t expect—using the Unreal 3 engine with physics based game play, accessible environments, and highly customizable characters that combine elements of Fantasy, Sci-Fi, and 1st person shooters to create a truly unique gaming experience.

Members of the press were granted exclusive access to the “sizzler reel” which featured environments and a bevy of DC popular characters like Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, the Joker, and Hush; finishing with a voice bellowing “The Future Awaits. The Next Legend is You.”

SOE President John Smedley explained, “...it isn’t until you see Superman throw a bus [...] that it becomes a unique experience.” Smedley spoke of Sony’s pleasure to be partnered with DC Comics for the project; he went to talk about bringing MMO games to a larger audience through the iconic nature of the DCU characters. He also stressed the importance of Jim Lee/ Wildstorm’s roll in making the game “an authentic MMO comic experience.”

DC Universe Online is also unique because it boasts a simultaneous release with console systems and PC systems—a feat which has never occurred within the video game industry. John Blakely and Chris Cao both spoke about the necessity of bringing a wider array of demographics to gaming—younger children, females, older comics fans—and that DC Universe had the potential to do just that. Jim Lee added, “We’re at a point in pop culture where comics dominate the landscape. This game is a way to share all the goodness of the DCU.”

When asked about the creation of customizable characters, Chris Cao explained that there would be two different ways to generate an avatar for the game: a “free form method” that is completely customizable and an “inspired method” that allows for theme based concepts to be employed which allow a player to be “like Batman if they want to be.” The customizable nature of the game featured an array of abilities, movement types, costumes, personal effects, and personality traits; for example, a point of interest being the “real physics” nature of the movement which would allow a super-fast character to be able to run up walls of buildings.

Questions were asked in regards to team/ raid based content—with possibilities players grouping in teams of 4 to 6 with the potential for larger raiding groups for world experiences—Cao named the Tomb of Isis as a potential raid-based area. Cao and Lee talked about the ability to gain access to the Hall of Justice via reputation and experienced gained through game play. Cao stated, “The basic story of this experience is the introduction of all these new heroes and villains into the DC Universe.”

One audience member asked about a particular feature that allowed the players to completely access environments in the game; Cao explained, “the action/ physics combat system makes the environment completely accessible to the entire audience.” He then went on to describe a character picking up a bus and throwing into an area populated by other players—describing the necessity for quick reflexes and other player awareness. Cao also mentioned an instance during play-testing where he and another developer utilized the real physics of the game:

“Basically, my character threw a ball of ice at his character. His character caught the ball of ice and charged with energy and threw it back at me—hitting me and knocking my character out.”

An avid MMO gamer himself, Lee lauded the various styles of movement that furthered the uniqueness of the DCU Online gaming experience. When asked if how long he would be involved with the project, he explained that his involvement would be ongoing and that a project of this magnitude is never completely finished; Lee spoke briefly of the nature of constant tweaking and tuning that comes with creating a successful MMO.

When asked about the ability for player versus player situations using specific heroes and villains the panel agreed that the ability to choose the alignment of a potential character allowed for storytelling that suited the players interests—whether they work through a mentor character (like Batman or the Joker) or if they strike out on their own to seek to make a name for themselves with the “patrol or prowl” modes of player versus player interaction which would facilitate point based experience for incentives throughout game play. When asked about “casual game play” Cao explained the unique “mentoring” feature and the ability called “side-kicking for real” would allow players with less time for game play to interact with more experienced gamers easily.

Also, like other MMOs, DC Universe Online will have an economic system—with “brokers” who serve to mitigate the transactions of players within the environment. When asked about connections to the comic book industry and the DCU—Lee was uncertain but explained that several characters may be updated via DC Universe Online first—and that these changes might start showing up in the comic books as well. He went on to iterate that this type of dual continuity between the game and the actual universe where the characters primarily exist provided a constant challenge to the developers.

for the rest of the article click here http://www.newsarama.com/games/08072...cu-online.html

looks interesting and the graphics seem to be pretty good as well.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:17 AM   #74
listerine

Default DCU Online: Will players be able to create GLs?

I hope so.
And Sinestro Corps would be great too.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:28 AM   #75
Andrew NDB
Martini Master

Has been brought up before. The answer is very, very likely to be no.

Though I would imagine nothing will likely stop you from creating a custom character that has a costume that kind of resembles a GL, or creating one with at least some GL-like powers (don't bet on "Ring That Creates Anything" being one of them), and adventuring in the game with other players who call themselves "Green Lanterns."