Movies and TV

Old 05-14-2020, 03:13 AM   #8476
Space Cop
The Dandy

Scanners II: The New Order (1991)

"What's the matter? Nosebleed? Maybe it's the blow."

O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)

"Those boys desecrated a burning cross!"

Watched it with the family for the film's 20th anniversary (Mom and I both remember seeing this in theater). Still love it (and the soundtrack which I also bought way back when).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
Donovan's Reef (1963) ... The fights were good, the jokes were actually amusing and the locale gorgeous. If I hadn't taken so fucking long to watch Memento then I would have already seen this forgotten gem.
That's my favorite of Wayne's comedy flicks.
And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.
—Isaiah 2:4

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-22-2020 at 02:15 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 03:26 AM   #8477
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

Quote:
Damn, I should hunt down a copy of the first and Kick Back, those were good films (and the old ninja duel in KB was actually good).
Widescreen HD transfers of them are available on Vudu; that's where I got them. They've all been released on DVD, too, but only the first was in widescreen, and obviously those aren't HD. I didn't buy the fourth one on Vudu because I've never cared for it, so I don't know if that one is widescreen as it was the only one actually filmed for a STV release, so it might by 4:3 by default, but I don't know.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:32 AM   #8478
Space Cop
The Dandy

Die Hard with a Vengeance (1995)

"Are you aiming for these people?
-No. Well, maybe the mime."

Watched with the fam for the 25th anniversary.

Star Wars (1977)

"You can waste time with your friends when your chores are done."

Finally started my bootleg BD set ('despecialized editiom') and it's great. Keeps the remaster, but loses all the additions (even the THX extra explosions and such). This one (as was appropriate for the 1st theatrical run) didn't even have the words "Episode IV" in the scrawl.
And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-18-2020 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:27 AM   #8479
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

Not as good as the original or 3, but better than II.
The climax should have been bigger.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:28 PM   #8480
Space Cop
The Dandy

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

"A death mark's not an easy thing to live with."

Happy 40! This was the 1st SW I saw in theater, though, I was a baby; so I don't actually remember (while I do remember waiting in line for RotJ).

Best in Show (2000)

"I went to one of those obedience places once. It was all going well until they spilled hot candle wax on my private parts."

R.I.P. Fred Willard.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:31 PM   #8481
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

The first is ever a classic, the second has nostalgic value for me, and the third exists.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:52 PM   #8482
Space Cop
The Dandy

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)

"No growth without assistance. No action without reaction. No desire without restraint. Now give yourself up and find yourself again."

Watched for the 20th anniversary.

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (1983)

"Yub nub."

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-22-2020 at 03:18 AM.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:48 AM   #8483
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

Fun fish out of water movie about baseball in Japan.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:49 AM   #8484
Space Cop
The Dandy

Green Lantern: Emerald Knights (2011)

"Come on. I'll tell you about the time I took on an army of Manhunters and my only backup was this squirrel."

Happy birthday, Green Lantern!

China (1943)

"I knew a girl like you once. She had an act in a circus. Used to crack a whip and make lions jump through paper hoops."

Tells the story of a war profiteer (Alan Ladd) reluctantly drawn into the cause of Chinese refugees fleeing the Japanese by an American school teacher (Loretta Young). Has a secondary fame now because Lucas took the look and surname of Ladd's character as the inspiration for Indiana Jones.

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-22-2020 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:54 AM   #8485
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

Felt like watching something mindless. This worked.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:02 AM   #8486
Space Cop
The Dandy

Spider-man: Far from Home (2019)

"Excuse me, sir! I can help! Let me help! I'm really strong and I'm... sticky!''

Liked both this and the one before despite not being a big Spidey fan (or not since I was 10) and not really wanting all the MarvelU conncections. But, it's fun and has heart.

The Case for Christ (2017)

"When is it enough evidence?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
[Scooby-Doo]
Felt like watching something mindless. This worked.
I was pleasantly surprised by that film (and to a lesser extent its sequel). I really enjoyed it despite not being a particular fan (nor hater) of the show.

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-29-2020 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:35 AM   #8487
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

I mean, I saw that in theaters with my dad and we both kind of liked it. Matthew Lillard did a good job as Shaggy and Velma was okay, but Daphne was too ditzy and Fred was basically a dumb job, and Scrappy was completely awful. It was just a live-action version of A Pup Named Scooby-Doo rather than anything truly representative of the source material.

I won't waste my time on the sequel, personally.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:06 PM   #8488
Space Cop
The Dandy

Battle of Dunkirk: From Disaster to Triumph (2018)

"We were all praying."

The Shining (1980)

"You've had your whole f***ing life to think things over, what good's a few minutes more gonna do you now?"

I watched this just six months ago (in prep to see Doctor Sleep), but I didn't want to miss the 40th anniversary of one of the best horror movies of all time.

Quote:
I mean, I saw that in theaters with my dad and we both kind of liked it. Matthew Lillard did a good job as Shaggy and Velma was okay, but Daphne was too ditzy and Fred was basically a dumb job, and Scrappy was completely awful. It was just a live-action version of A Pup Named Scooby-Doo rather than anything truly representative of the source material.
I won't waste my time on the sequel, personally.
Yeah, you're more attached to the property than me (and Ed is even more so). For my part, it's one of those fun-kind of family Halloween-season watches. I thought the Scrappy twist was in the 2nd, but I guess I have them mixed up.

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-29-2020 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:43 AM   #8489
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

The Ice Pirates (1984)

"They want me to disconnect."

I don't know what I was expecting, but this film went from being a shameless cash-in of Star Wars to a completely bonkers adventure-comedy.

I laughed when Bruce Vilanch's name showed up on screen, and his character was just as ridiculous as I knew it had to be (I did enjoy the bodyguards though). Actually, most of the characters weren't bad, though the costumes could have used a little adjustment (Templars should have been less archaic in looks aside from ceremonial royal guards or something). I think a little more development of Carradine should have been done because he's barely in it and his scene is actually oddly fascinating, very different than the usual "Evil Emperor Imitator" many of these flicks go for.

I did get a huge kick out of the final battle though. I mean, everyone's getting really old and the fight just keeps going until the hero's son is a young adult and saves the day, and then they're back to their previous selves and the villains are lost in the time stream due to a slight miscalculation? I was definitely amused.

Overall the film was a fun distraction and I'm glad I checked it out.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:22 AM   #8490
Space Cop
The Dandy

Scanners 3: The Takeover (1991)

"Let's make it with the naked nasty."

Nude Nuns with Big Guns (2010)

" Listen up! There's a vigilante on the streets going around and killing the bad guys. In case you guys forgot, we are the bad guys!"

Does what it says on the tin, but I hate CGI bullet play and it wasn't as fun as it could've been.

[Rifftrax:] Spiker (1985/2018)

"Nothing can make volleyball look more bad**s."

Last edited by Space Cop; 06-02-2020 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:05 AM   #8491
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

The Pleasure Garden, 1925

Hitchcock's first full movie as a director, and it's a snoozefest. There are a few nice Expressionist images, but there is no suspense in this. I'd say it's a romance movie, but there's hardly any romance in it either. I mean, sure, it suffers in comparison with Hitchcock's later movies, and it's possible that it was a masterpiece back in 1925 and just hasn't aged well.

But it's just very dull, with very few hints at the director that Hitchcock became later.

Last edited by Michael Heide; 05-25-2020 at 07:43 AM.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 02:18 AM   #8492
Bob Sachs
Voice of Guy Gardner

Default Last film you saw, vol. 6

In theaters, it was Doolittle before Charminageddon hit. On DVD, the most recent Rambo. I enjoyed both.

Sitting on the toilet using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2020, 02:47 AM   #8493
Space Cop
The Dandy

Transcendence (2014)

"Can you prove you're self-aware?
-That's a difficult question, Dr. Tagger. Can you prove that you are?"

Harlan County U.S.A. (1976)

"Here was a combination of the whole thing, you see: you had to bump against the whole combination of them."

A pretty famous documentary about a long, notorious coal mining strike in '70s KY.

3 from Hell (2019)

"All hail the man behind the grease paint!"

Not bad per se, but felt like an unnecessary rehash of The Devil's Rejects. I would've liked more variation on that and better use of the fact that they were now in the 80s.

Last edited by Space Cop; 06-01-2020 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:57 AM   #8494
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

Silly stupid fun with a decent anti-bully message.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:16 PM   #8495
Space Cop
The Dandy

Hell's Angels (1930)

"I'm not yellow! I can see things as they are, that's all. And I'm sick of this rotten business."

Howard Hughes (in)famous WWI flying drama turned 90 on May 27th. I had never seen it. From what I had read, I was expecting the aerial stunts to be impressive (they were) and the melodrama to be really bad, but I liked it overall.

The Gunfighter (1950)

"Well if he ain't so tough, there's been an awful lot of sudden natural deaths in his vicinity."

Youtubed it on the 26th for its 70th anniversary. Excellent storytelling and a good reminder that the demystification of the Old West began long before the '70s.

The Time Machine (1960)

"Which three books would you have taken?"

Watched with the family on the 25th for its 60th anniversary.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:57 AM   #8496
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

I felt like watching a fun sci-fi, so I'm revisiting some of the Troopers flicks.
They may be the worst film adaptations of all time, but they're lots of fun.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:08 AM   #8497
Space Cop
The Dandy

Total Recall (1990)

"A man is defined by his actions, not his memory."

Turned 30 on Sunday as did the following on Monday.

Frankenhooker (1990)

"For crying out loud, you're like cats with catnip!"

Quote:
I felt like watching a fun sci-fi, so I'm revisiting some of the Troopers flicks.
They may be the worst film adaptations of all time, but they're lots of fun.
Yeah, I read the book and saw all the movies. At least the animated one has a lot of the elements (the suits and the opening line stood out). That said, I think the book is good and the first movie is good on its own part just not as a faithful adaptation kind of like how I feel about Bladerunner.

Last edited by Space Cop; 06-13-2020 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:49 AM   #8498
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

A bit too on the nose by the end, but easily my favorite of the sequels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Yeah, I read the book and saw all the movies. At least the animated one has a lot of the elements (the suits and the opening line stood out). That said, I think the book is good and the first movie is good on its own part just not as a faithful adaptation kind of like how I feel about Bladerunner.
That first animated movie toyed with my emotions when the first trailer came out showing off a then unnamed trooper in what appeared to be an accurate MI suit while basically quoting the first paragraph of the book... I was so hyped that they were going to do an accurate version, but then it was just an animated sequel to the movies. Not terrible, but that disappointment damaged my view of it thoroughly.

The second animated movie fared much better, though. Of course, having Casper Van Dien around always boosts the movies (hell, if I were to direct an accurate film adaptation, even I would probably cast him as Mr. Dubois, just to keep him in it).
Old 06-04-2020, 01:33 PM   #8499
Space Cop
The Dandy

Hardcore Henry (2015)

"If you can hear them, but you can't shoot them, you can probably grenade them."

Interesting to watch for what it is (essentially an FPS movie), but like most, I wasn't that invested.

The A-Team (2010)

"Technically, we're not flying.
-I know, 'cause we falling, fool!"

No, I didn't need to 'celebrate' the 10th anniversary of the remake movie last night, but it was a good excuse to rewatch it.

Quote:
...That first animated movie toyed with my emotions when the first trailer came out showing off a then unnamed trooper in what appeared to be an accurate MI suit while basically quoting the first paragraph of the book... I was so hyped that they were going to do an accurate version, but then it was just an animated sequel to the movies. Not terrible, but that disappointment damaged my view of it thoroughly....
Yeah. That's why I only called out those two things and that's my view of it five years later.

Quote:
...The second animated movie fared much better, though. Of course, having Casper Van Dien around always boosts the movies (hell, if I were to direct an accurate film adaptation, even I would probably cast him as Mr. Dubois, just to keep him in it).
Wow. I misspoke. According to my Netflix account, I last caught up with the Starship franchise in 2015 and hadn't realized they did another animated movie since then. Fortunately, it's on Tubi, so I don't have to buy it to catch up.

Last edited by Space Cop; 06-13-2020 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:04 AM   #8500
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

From a story standpoint, this is probably the best of the sequels.