Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In retrospect... does anyone really care about the Red Lanterns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They can try it forever, but identity politics will never sell comics. That just won't happen. Print comics are not a growth industry. There just aren't that many people will will go to comics shops to buy them.

The idea that you can boost comics sales by casting a Latina and a Muslim as your leads and decreasing the presence of long-established characters is ludicrous. You can pat yourself on the back for being a good person when you do stuff like that, and I'm sure the folks at DC and Marvel do, but you're killing your own business when you diminish the visibility of your stars.

You can be an SJW on your own time. At work you're getting paid to sell comics.
    Trey Strain
    Guardian of the Universe
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 08-13-2017, 02:17 PM.

Comment

I agree, totally stupid.

I wanted to like the Red Lanterns, just too many factors working against it. The writing was terrible even when the art was good; it felt like it should have been a horror title but it was so watered down and childish, not sure who the target audience was..
      http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

I always liked the concept, and the characters who were involved. The "rage thing" got old after a while though, and I found the actual series to be more miss then hit at times. The thing about the Red Lanterns though, was that in the wrong hands, it could seem really one-note.

Comment

Was it a mistake to make it Guy-centric? Did their treatment of Rankorr screw the pooch?

Comment

It was a mistake to give them a title at all. They were sort of interesting as an occasional antagonist, but the concept didn't really seem like one that could warrant an ongoing title for itself, at least not to me.

Comment

^I liked the Reds overall and the Supergirl story in particular. I'd still be reading it if it existed.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                ^I liked the Reds overall and the Supergirl story in particular. I'd still be reading it if it existed.
                Well, so would I, probably, but that's got more to do with my completionist tendencies than any great interest in the title.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                  Well, so would I, probably, but that's got more to do with my completionist tendencies than any great interest in the title.
                  Touche. But I actually still enjoyed reading RL when it ended.

Comment

I lost all interest during the first arc of their own book. I stuck around much longer than I should have after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                      Was it a mistake to make it Guy-centric? Did their treatment of Rankorr screw the pooch?
                      I think their treatment of Red Guy screwed the pooch. Red Guy was one of the most entertaining bits from Blackest Night and WotGL's. He was insane. When TPTB wanted to make the Reds anti-heroes, ala Venom Lethal Protector, it just got stupid. Making Guy a Red again was their Hail Mary to keep the series going and they fumbled the ball. Long hair? A goatee? Are you ****ing serious?

Comment

Originally posted by Ωmega Man View Post
                        I think their treatment of Red Guy screwed the pooch. Red Guy was one of the most entertaining bits from Blackest Night and WotGL's. He was insane. When TPTB wanted to make the Reds anti-heroes, ala Venom Lethal Protector, it just got stupid. Making Guy a Red again was their Hail Mary to keep the series going and they fumbled the ball. Long hair? A goatee? Are you ****ing serious?

Atrocitus reminds me of Venom in several key aspects with the most important being at he's the kind of morally complex character who can be used in many different ways. I can envision him one day having a renaissance similar to what Venom is having now. If he starts making Arrowverse or DC movie appearances, we'll see the RLC reassert themselves into DC events.
                        Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

Current Marvel writer Leah Williams is a fan of Atrocitus. That means that there's a whole generation of professionals already who the Red Lanterns mean something to. Once that threshold is passed, characters are forever here to stay.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                            Current Marvel writer Leah Williams is a fan of Atrocitus. That means that there's a whole generation of professionals already who the Red Lanterns mean something to. Once that threshold is passed, characters are forever here to stay.
                            You're definitely correct. I keep forgetting that Atrocitus has been around for more than a decade, so there's no doubt that a crop of young writers have grown up with him as a prominent DC/GL character.
                            Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

In current continuity, did Atrocitus still murder Abin Sur?

Comment

I don't even care.

Comment

Working...
                                X