The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 5
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 5
View Poll Results: Do you want him back?
Yes 17 34.00%
No 33 66.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2014, 04:37 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default The inevitable return of Geoff Johns!

Does anyone else feel like the stage is already being set for it? You know, Geoff quietly puppeteering things from the sidelines as chief "creative" officer all this time... letting Hal be emasculated, letting the Corps become a more fractured entity, little things he knows (or thinks) will irritate the fandom... and then one day in the foreseeable future, voila, there's a big hubbub about "Geoff Johns returning to write Green Lantern!" with a slew of big ring-based big events in the wings. With the expectation that people will be longing for Geoff by this point and be excited by this news.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.

Let it be. As long as it's good I couldn't give a fuck who writes it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:45 PM   #3
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I dunno. I mean, I don't think he is above manipulating the fanbase to get them to want what he wants to give them (case in point, successful character assassination on the Guardians, so fans are WANTING them gone, before Geoff goes and does just that). But this idea sounds like a different level of manipulation to me, manipulating characters not so that the fans will want something done with them, but rather so they will want HIM to do it. I'm not sure I'm prepared to ascribe that level of naked, purposeful ego. It is one thing for him to try to make fans want what he wants, another to make them want HIM personally.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:48 PM   #4
IonFan
Forum Member

he saved it once maybe he can save it again

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k the "Deep-State" and screw all the fake news, one year in and I still support our President one
Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:50 PM   #5
Mister Ed

Well, we now know such a strategy would work on IonFan, anyway.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:54 PM   #6
IonFan
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Well, we now know such a strategy would work on IonFan, anyway.
i'm for anything that gets rid of the loser Hal (h@ll even Sin. see it )

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k the "Deep-State" and screw all the fake news, one year in and I still support our President one
Donald J. Trump
Old 11-18-2014, 04:56 PM   #7
Mister Ed

And it wouldn't bother you if it turned out he'd been made into loser Hal on purpose to get you to want Geoff to come back and "fix" him? That's the scenario Andrew is proposing here.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:59 PM   #8
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Well, GJ did paint the new writers into a pretty tight corner by killing the Guardians and taking Sinestro with him, but I'm not sure that he would have purposefully written the book into the ground so that he would be heralded the next greatest thing, and have the fans clammoring for his return, however anything at this point would be an improvement... and I would start with the artwork. I don't like the way Tan pencils Hal or John.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #9
IonFan
Forum Member

Quote:
And it wouldn't bother you if it turned out he'd been made into loser Hal on purpose to get you to want Geoff to come back and "fix" him? That's the scenario Andrew is proposing here.
and i'm for it, look after so many years of having good GL story's on my pull list it saddens me not to have it there/their/they're anymore (mostly cause the story's suck as well as Hal too)

IonFan says

Quote:
Donald J. Trump
Old 11-18-2014, 05:06 PM   #10
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
and i'm for it, look after so many years of having good GL story's on my pull list it saddens me not to have it there/their/they're anymore (mostly cause the story's suck as well as Hal too)
So you are "for" Geoff purposely MAKING GL bad so you will want him back? That's very odd, if you don't mind my saying.

Like I said, I don't really think that's what's going on. But it just surprises me that, as far as you are concerned, you'd still want him back even if the reason GL declined was because Geoff manipulated matters to make it happen. That's like rewarding somebody for screwing stuff up on purpose.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

I believe something like the scenario I mentioned is very much in play. But it's really very stupid... Geoff had years to write good Hal Jordan stories... but apart from a smattering of stories early into Vol. 4, he never even bothered to write a single one about him. Let alone anything to elevate the character.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #12
IonFan
Forum Member

GJ isn't on the GL books anymore (it's some other guy) so how is he making GL (or Hal) suck?

IonFan says

Quote:
Donald J. Trump
Old 11-18-2014, 05:09 PM   #13
Mister Ed

I'm curious. Does Geoff always look that smug, or did Andrew purposely pick the smuggest photo he could find?
Old 11-18-2014, 05:10 PM   #14
Mister Ed

Quote:
GJ isn't on the GL books anymore (it's some other guy) so how is he making GL (or Hal) suck?
The theory is that he is using his influence as Chief Creative Officer at DC to influence the title's direction to make it bad.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:15 PM   #15
IonFan
Forum Member

here ya go Ed

< link here

i for one look forward to GJ saving GL once again

IonFan says

Quote:
Donald J. Trump
Old 11-18-2014, 05:18 PM   #16
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
The theory is that he is using his influence as Chief Creative Officer at DC to influence the title's direction to make it bad.
That theory is kind of far-fetched, don't you think? As much as the masses would like to believe that GJ is responsible for the current condition of the title, he didn't make the current writer turn Hal into a guy that's unsure of himself, lacks confidence and a horrible leader.

Andrew has a point, though. None of GJ's stories outside of Rebirth did anything to elevate Hal as a character. Everything has been one continuous DC-wide arc that involved other characters and events, but nothing exclusively about Hal.

Last edited by Sylent_Asassin; 11-18-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Sylent_Asassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:18 PM   #17
Mister Ed

It is amazing how low your level of comprehension is, IonFan. The theory isn't mine. I've already said that I don't buy it. Yet somehow you missed the whole theory to begin with, just somehow thought this was a thread about wanting Geoff back on GL, and missed...everything else.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:20 PM   #18
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
That theory is kind of far-fetched, don't you think? As much as the masses would like to believe that GJ is responsible for the current condition of the title, he didn't make the current writer turn Hal into a guy that's unsure of himself, lacks confidence and a horrible leader.
Oh, I agree. While I do think he deliberately manipulated the readers to make them want the Guardians gone, I think that's a different matter than manipulating readers by interfering with the titles behind the scenes with the goal of making readers want him back on the title.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:23 PM   #19
IonFan
Forum Member

as i said

Quote:
he saved it once maybe he can save it again
crazy theory be d@mned

IonFan says

Quote:
Donald J. Trump
Old 11-18-2014, 05:48 PM   #20
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

It's called "souring the milk." Now, I'm not saying Geoff is actively sitting back and telling the writers what to write or Emperor Palpatining things from the sidelines, per se... but he may be subtly steering things a certain way and maybe not vetoing things he would otherwise not do himself or should be vetoing. And I'm fairly sure most/all of the big events and direction changes going on with GL these days, he'd be absolutely involved with in the writer's room on some level.

And you know, "Hold on, Robert... in this scene, let's really have Sinestro punk Hal. I mean really punk him. Let's have him looking defeated here, I think that would work great."

Things like that? I could see that happening, too.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:51 PM   #21
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
I'm curious. Does Geoff always look that smug, or did Andrew purposely pick the smuggest photo he could find?

I don't know what you're talking about...
Old 11-18-2014, 05:58 PM   #22
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
And you know, "Hold on, Robert... in this scene, let's really have Sinestro punk Hal. I mean really punk him. Let's have him looking defeated here, I think that would work great."

Things like that? I could see that happening, too.
I absolutely hated that moment. Thing is, I don't think GJ is such an egomaniac that he would willfully sabotage a title (or character) for the sake of his own ego. As the CCO, you'd think that he would want the book to succeed, and typically, money trumps all. Even ego.

Last edited by Sylent_Asassin; 11-18-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Sylent_Asassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:15 PM   #23
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Old 11-18-2014, 06:27 PM   #24
CeltiC5-27
Weaponer of Qward

Geoff coming back to write Green Lantern would literally be a dream come true for me, but it's not gonna happen. At least anytime soon I believe. I think he already has his hands full writing the Justice League series and planning whatever big epic story arc is next (Darkseid war I think). Plus he's also busy doing Superman so I don't seem him having time to come back to Green Lantern anytime in the near future. I'm still surprised he left Aquaman as soon as he did, I thought he would be on that title for years. But I think he realized it was just too much for him to handle. Maybe years away after he's taken a break from writing for awhile, he'll make his comeback to the book that boosted his career. Though I guess I can only hope.

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527
CeltiC5-27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:58 PM   #25
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

I wish people would understand what Geoff Johns roll is as CCO of DC Entertainment is. Then we wouldn't have these "discussions" about him sabotaging the line. As CCO of DC Entertainment, he is a liason between DC Comics and Warner Bros., helping DC Comics get their characters onto TV and Movies. He isn't the publisher, that's Jim Lee and Dan Didio, he isn't the Editor In Chief, that's Bob Harras. What you guys think is Geoff Johns responsibility is actually those other individuals. I don't know how many times I have to say that.
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote