The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 5
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 5
View Poll Results: Rate GL #49
* 0 0%
** 1 14.29%
*** 3 42.86%
**** 2 28.57%
***** 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2016, 05:01 PM   #26
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
It's amazing how good art can make you feel like an average story was good. Or shitty art can convince you a good story was terrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
Not as important as writing but very important component to comics is the art. Otherwise just read prose. What makes Sandman eternal is that it had above average art for the entire run, while a majority of Vertigo books were never able to say that. Not all of Geoff's run on GL was incredible but I can't remember bad arcs when Pacheco, Reis, Shane Davis or EVS. I am sure there were some if not for the good art.
As West likes to point out it's a medium of words and pictures. When one or the other lacks, it's noticeable.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:12 PM   #27
EmeraldGladiator
Manhunter Repairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
As West likes to point out it's a medium of words and pictures. When one or the other lacks, it's noticeable.
Makes me wonder how much I would have 'liked' the New God arc and this gauntlet storyline if the art were better, because now it is more meh to slightly disappointing when thinking of how great it could have been. I am hoping this #50 doesn't leave me feeling the same way.

Speaking of #50 looking at the post 50 solicits it looks like a one off tale and not an arc. However Parallax is making an appearance in the last two issues of Telos, so I wonder if the two Hal's issue gets resolved next month or like in Parallax' wars with Kyle, Hal (renegade) will think he has won/foe vanquished but actually Parallax just proceeding with master plan somewhere else. Going off to start Rebirth, like he went off to start Zero Hour.
EmeraldGladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:32 PM   #28
Lundonj
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Quote:

Speaking of #50 looking at the post 50 solicits it looks like a one off tale and not an arc. However Parallax is making an appearance in the last two issues of Telos, so I wonder if the two Hal's issue gets resolved next month or like in Parallax' wars with Kyle, Hal (renegade) will think he has won/foe vanquished but actually Parallax just proceeding with master plan somewhere else. Going off to start Rebirth, like he went off to start Zero Hour.
Nice. I should have thought of that, but I have not.

That could be a pretty cool story. Parallax mucking up the multiverses again, because he can. But this time he 'fixes' it and the DCU is restored...

-Don
Old 02-08-2016, 10:39 AM   #29
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

This was a nice, tight story. Yes, it was small scale, but the pacing between the Black Hand arc and the coming Parallax arc needed to be less grandiose so those stories didn't bleed into one another.

I really liked that Hal deduced Sonar's plan. That gave the story a cop instinct kind of vibe. It seems that the gauntlet is continuing with its shenanigans, which makes me wonder if there will be some kind of ramifications for Hal's mind once he moves on from the renegade period?
Fear the banners and the Wildcat bite!
Big Blue Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:01 PM   #30
Lundonj
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
This was a nice, tight story. Yes, it was small scale, but the pacing between the Black Hand arc and the coming Parallax arc needed to be less grandiose so those stories didn't bleed into one another.

I really liked that Hal deduced Sonar's plan. That gave the story a cop instinct kind of vibe. It seems that the gauntlet is continuing with its shenanigans, which makes me wonder if there will be some kind of ramifications for Hal's mind once he moves on from the renegade period?
I think they are drawing parallels to Parallax, that Hal's Gauntlet decision could be as costly as his choice to overrun the CPB if he doesn't get his ring back on soon. That's my guess anyway heading into #50...
Old 02-09-2016, 09:28 PM   #31
KilowogsDisciple
Banned

I found myself shocked to actually...LIKE the art! Is it me or is Tan getting better? I was generally unimpressed when I jumped in with #47, but not anywhere near as much now I think Tan is pulling a late bloomer thing here. And I definitely liked the story, I didn't feel as though I was just throwing money at GL for being GL.
KilowogsDisciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:58 PM   #32
Space Cop
The Dandy

Tan only did two pages this issue.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:20 PM   #33
EmeraldGladiator
Manhunter Repairman

Quote:
here is praying that he has delegated duties on the last few issues to deliver his best work ever on issue #50. His few pages recently won't rival Darryl Banks on Perez' images of Parallax but I have seen him do good work in the past and I am hoping that this is his best.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:28 PM   #34
KilowogsDisciple
Banned

Quote:

Oops guess that explains it.
KilowogsDisciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:23 AM   #35
TorchBearer2814
Corps Honor Guard

so does this mean that parallax hal, those events from emerald twilight and final night never really took place? Im still confused on how parallax hal is there. I didn't really read the convergence stuff.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:20 PM   #36
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Different universes Parallax. It doesn't really have to even be the post-Crisis, DCU version. The point really is that he is a version of Parallax from a different universe than the current nU52 Hal lives in. So they can do whatever they want with him with no time travel snags.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:36 PM   #37
Space Cop
The Dandy

^Right. The DCNu Hal from the current comics had some kind of not-quite-wiping-out-the-corps Parallax experience, but this is the original Parallax/Hal now converged from DCU into DCNu. So, this is the Hal that saw Coast City die, burned Kilowog, slaughered the corps, etc . . .
Old 02-14-2016, 03:56 AM   #38
TorchBearer2814
Corps Honor Guard

thanks guys. Im still a little confused on how he got there. Is it all from the convergence ?
Old 02-14-2016, 11:10 AM   #39
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorchBearer2814 View Post
thanks guys. Im still a little confused on how he got there. Is it all from the convergence ?
That is correct. At the end of Convergence, Telos reports that a few people are AWOL from their universe. Parallax is one Lois & Clark are some others.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:10 PM   #40
EmeraldGladiator
Manhunter Repairman

Quote:
Different universes Parallax. It doesn't really have to even be the post-Crisis, DCU version. The point really is that he is a version of Parallax from a different universe than the current nU52 Hal lives in. So they can do whatever they want with him with no time travel snags.
Well TBH in original earth 1 universe I don't recall married Lois and Clark had a son, so there is that.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:55 PM   #41
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Well TBH in original earth 1 universe I don't recall married Lois and Clark had a son, so there is that.
I thought the idea was that the DCU Superman and Lois LATER had a son off screen after Flashpoint and we are catching up with them now. But I only read half of the first issue so I'm not sure. Maybe they just came from an Earth SIMILAR to the post Crisis DCU.

I tend to think of the focus of the DC titles over the years as this:

the golden age years, which were retroactively called Earth 2.

The silver age years to 1986, Earth 1.

the post Crisis Earth mixing E1, 2, 4, and S, which fans dubbed the DCU.

Then the post Flashpoint Earth, which fans kind of called the nU 52 universe.

I forget how they number them currently, if the official name for the nU 52 Earth is E1, E0, or whatever.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:19 PM   #42
Space Cop
The Dandy

In Convergence, major cities from the pre-Flashpoint DCU were separated for a year. During that year the DCU Lois and Clark got pregnant and when convergence happened Jonathan was a newborn. After Convergence, they were sent to DCNu.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:05 PM   #43
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
It's amazing how good art can make you feel like an average story was good. Or shitty art can convince you a good story was terrible.
Geoff Johns figured that out long ago. That's why only an astute few realize he's a hack, because he hides behind genuinely talented artists 100% of the time.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:05 PM   #44
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
I forget how they number them currently, if the official name for the nU 52 Earth is E1, E0, or whatever.
It's Earth-0. Earth-1 is... you know... the Earth-1 books. That Krona became the worldsoul of in "Trinity" before he returned to Earth-0 in time for the then-latest Geoff Johns event somehow in regenerative bandages with no mention of how he escaped that fate, just in time for Flashpoint afterward to maybe render all of that void, or parts of it, or none of it.

In case you can't tell, my love affair with DC comics is pretty much over.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:33 PM   #45
Mechinoid
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It's Earth-0. Earth-1 is... you know... the Earth-1 books. That Krona became the worldsoul of in "Trinity" before he returned to Earth-0 in time for the then-latest Geoff Johns event somehow in regenerative bandages with no mention of how he escaped that fate, just in time for Flashpoint afterward to maybe render all of that void, or parts of it, or none of it.

It still pains me that we never got a Krona story as being the worldsoul of a planet, manipulating the population through tarot cards and other such stuff, and was given a completely different character named Krona to replace him. [Which is also why I'm not liking GLC:edge of oblivion cause I was quite liking having Krona in Lost Army]
Old 02-16-2016, 10:52 PM   #46
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I certainly don't blame you. Make mine...Image.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:53 PM   #47
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechinoid View Post
It still pains me that we never got a Krona story as being the worldsoul of a planet, manipulating the population through tarot cards and other such stuff, and was given a completely different character named Krona to replace him. [Which is also why I'm not liking GLC:edge of oblivion cause I was quite liking having Krona in Lost Army]
At least that Krona was a bit closer to the "real" Krona. That little Guardian in mummy rags was terrible. The whole point was that the Guardians had given Krona the tip of their boot to his ass long before they physically evolved into the state we know them as.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:41 PM   #48
EmeraldGladiator
Manhunter Repairman

Quote:
At least that Krona was a bit closer to the "real" Krona. That little Guardian in mummy rags was terrible. The whole point was that the Guardians had given Krona the tip of their boot to his ass long before they physically evolved into the state we know them as.
That actually made me laugh out loud You know I hadn't thought about it in ages but I remember when I was little wondering why Krona was normally proportioned while the Guardians were bobble head dolls.