The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lanterns
FLASHCHAT

Green Lanterns
View Poll Results: Rate GLs Rebirth #1
* 5 23.81%
** 3 14.29%
*** 9 42.86%
**** 3 14.29%
***** 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2016, 03:27 PM   #26
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Hopefully the series will get cancelled sooner rather than later. And both characters can get killed off in a meaningless manner.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:05 PM   #27
BLACK HAND
Green Lantern Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane2814 View Post
I have a fundamental issue with the concept of both of these characters and the setup has only reinforced it, especially since they now work together : they're both set up as victims.

Simon is a victim of prejudice, Jessica is a victim of a crime and also her own mind. While they're something heroic about each overcoming those circumstances, it doesn't mean they should get a GL ring and be responsible for millions of lives. At some point I hope to see them do *super* heroic things, but then it's the same problem that Kyle encountered - locked into being a rookie as their defining trait, and this case with "Simica", (Jessimon?) we're always reminded of their victimization. The writers (here and in JLA) need to figure out what they are aside from those two traits for them to have any legs.
I agree. Baz did end up being somewhat heroic in GL: Edge of Oblivion by going through the rift first, but I really don't emphasize at all with him or Jessica. You can only put up with so much "I'm a victim" attitude from someone who is not only a superhero but possesses the most powerful weapon in the universe. I am hoping they become better rounded characters in this title...or the most interesting thing they can do is die.
BLACK HAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:27 PM   #28
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
Hopefully the series will get cancelled sooner rather than later. And both characters can get killed off in a meaningless manner.
The Poochie solution.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:28 PM   #29
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
The Poochie solution.

YES!!!
Old 06-09-2016, 09:46 PM   #30
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

I never understood why people want something like this to fail... just don't read it and let the ones that like it enjoy it.
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:58 PM   #31
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Chosen" View Post
I never understood why people want something like this to fail... just don't read it and let the ones that like it enjoy it.
I assumed it was that they saw this as being the "flagship title" of the GL franchise, and feel like, as long as it is around, "fill-in-their-favorite-GL" will be shunted into a more minor role in a "supporting" title.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:35 PM   #32
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

The message from Ethan got me reading it, and I felt really dumb after. It's a good comic with at times seriously stunning artwork. I felt satisfied with Hal's explanations for the Earth Lanterns, something I didn't expect at all.

Put it this way, I liked it enough to renew my subscription.
KilowogsDisciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:31 PM   #33
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilowogsDisciple View Post
The message from Ethan got me reading it, and I felt really dumb after. It's a good comic with at times seriously stunning artwork. I felt satisfied with Hal's explanations for the Earth Lanterns, something I didn't expect at all.

Put it this way, I liked it enough to renew my subscription.
what did he say
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:15 AM   #34
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

Quote:
what did he say
He said hang in there, he has personal knowledge of the first arc, and that there were some developments coming up that would make someone like me very, very happy. By someone like me, he meant a person big into the Green Lantern Corps/Tomasi/Van Jensen runs, as well as people wanting to see more John Stewart. Ethan's a cool guy, pretty awesome he talks to fans like that.

I have to mention, my seeing the Red Lanterns "Red Dawn" promise at the end had me halfway reaching for the "renew subscription" button to begin with. I practically worshipped the RLs run. Miss that, Sinestro, and New Guardians like crazy.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:31 PM   #35
Tarmode
Green Lantern Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
Since I've been defending this books right to exist I'm glad that the first issue wasn't terrible though it wasn't anything special either.

On the writing side of things it's hard to tell who wrote what so I didn't really feel like we got a handle of what Humphries handle on the book will really be like, overall though the story really just boiled down to setup which I found a tad disappointing. I'm also a bit disappointed that we didn't really get to hear much of Jessica's voice come through in this issue, I felt like we got a strong dose Simon and that's pretty much it. If this is truly going to be a buddy cop book that can't continue.

On the art side of things Benes wasn't as bad as I expected him to be but I thought EVS wasn't up to his usual standard, the page where Jessica and Simon recharged their rings really bothered me, Jessica looked like she was a gymnast on a balance beam...just awkward posing.

Since no one ended up in a banana suit I consider it a win. 3/5.
Understand you on the posing thing Jessica did. Was kind of weird. Anyways, the book was decent, but it has tremendous potential. If Jessica doesn't kill Simon first. They will make a great team. But it's going to take a minute, and hopefully TPTB realize that. Simon has to get control of his ego and feelings. Shame that the Red Lanterns, and especially Bleez, reduce to mediorocity.
Tarmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:35 PM   #36
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Quote:
Given GL's lack of presence on the silver screen and TV, I'm rooting for *any* Lantern characters to catch on and make some new fans.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:15 PM   #37
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

Quote:
Great point! But I recently lost my overly generous regard for what other people think when I said damn the (often vehemently negative) critics and went to see "X-men Apocalypse". I loved that movie, so from now on if I want to read, see, or listen to something I'm taking reviews with a boulder of salt. If you or I like something we like it, screw everybody else, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmode View Post
Understand you on the posing thing Jessica did. Was kind of weird. Anyways, the book was decent, but it has tremendous potential. If Jessica doesn't kill Simon first. They will make a great team. But it's going to take a minute, and hopefully TPTB realize that. Simon has to get control of his ego and feelings. Shame that the Red Lanterns, and especially Bleez, reduce to mediorocity.
I agree, I was shocked to find myself liking GLs Rebirth and renewing my subscription to the Lantern titles in general. I though EoO was unbelievably boring overall (and please understand, the GLC are my all time favorite superheroes), and Green Lantern main title has gone steadily downhill since Blackest Night imo, Vendetti was abysmal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
Given GL's lack of presence on the silver screen and TV, I'm rooting for *any* Lantern characters to catch on and make some new fans.
I think this is a refreshingly positive and good mindset.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:55 PM   #38
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
I agree, I was shocked to find myself liking GLs Rebirth and renewing my subscription to the Lantern titles in general.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:37 PM   #39
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post

I mentioned that I changed my mind after being urged to try the comic again by Van Sciver. And go fuck yourself.

Last edited by KilowogsDisciple; 06-11-2016 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:50 PM   #40
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

Here's the link, asshole, written several days ago. Since you obviously have NOTHING better to do but pick through every little post here, it's astounding you'd miss that, Hypo.

Oh well, I've noticed that I really miss nothing by putting you on ignore, so good luck and take a big suck, you typical no-life-spent-in-mom's-basement dumbass. Sorry, that last is making me laugh my ass off: "good luck, take a suck!". One for the archives

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...8&postcount=23

This was so much fun I'd be okay with getting banned. Hypo is just too easy to fuck with.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:04 AM   #41
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Hypo is just too easy to fuck with.
Says the guy having the meltdown.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:38 AM   #42
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

I couldn't help but be drawn in by the promise of "Red Dawn" for #1; I realize the spectrum isn't entirely popular around here, but the Red Lanterns are a favorite of mine, I miss that title like hell.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:43 AM   #43
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Here's the link, asshole, written several days ago. Since you obviously have NOTHING better to do but pick through every little post here, it's astounding you'd miss that, Hypo.

Oh well, I've noticed that I really miss nothing by putting you on ignore, so good luck and take a big suck, you typical no-life-spent-in-mom's-basement dumbass. Sorry, that last is making me laugh my ass off: "good luck, take a suck!". One for the archives

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...8&postcount=23

This was so much fun I'd be okay with getting banned. Hypo is just too easy to fuck with.

Well THAT seems like a rational response.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:52 AM   #44
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Totally.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:36 AM   #45
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

Wheeeeeeee!
Old 06-12-2016, 11:23 AM   #46
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern

Van Sciver sent PM's in an attempt to sell comics?

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 06-12-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:32 PM   #47
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Lantern View Post
Van Sciver sent PM's in an attempt to sell comics?
Oh no, I've just been in contact with him regarding a commission, so we already have had communication. I had mentioned how much I liked the art but not the story in GLs, and he told me straight out things were going to get a lot better. He's a very nice person, and an excellent artist imo.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:30 PM   #48
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

So you thought the issue sucked, until EVS told you it DIDN'T suck...at which point you agreed with him that it was good.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:18 PM   #49
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

Quote:
So you thought the issue sucked, until EVS told you it DIDN'T suck...at which point you agreed with him that it was good.
What a presumptuous piece of shit you are. I already explained myself once, and no this time you can't barter your mom for me to repeat it. Wait,
this is the most fun I've had in five minutes. You and Hypo are too much fun. Carry on, Big Daddy Suckpump.

Last edited by KilowogsDisciple; 06-12-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:19 PM   #50
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

Go ahead and ban me, fuckboy, and tell your mom to stop calling me.