The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 05-06-2016, 05:39 AM   #1776
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends

Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:28 PM   #1777
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Next "X-Men" Movie Will Be Set in the '90s, Says Producer Simon Kinberg
Old 05-11-2016, 06:31 PM   #1778
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

I wish it was more clear on which "X-Men" movie would be set in the 90s. I mean, Singer's original X-Men movie was filmed in or around 1999. I kind of don't want to see the "First Class" X-Men go into the 90s.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:00 PM   #1779
Robinson
Guardian Of The Universe

the first xmen movie sated :in the near future" so it really had no timreframe associated with it.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:05 PM   #1780
IonFan
Forum Member

when are we gonna get an X-Men movie set in real time

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:40 PM   #1781
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
maybe it's just me but i wouldn't call her a "major Marvel Mutant"
She was *kind of* a big deal in the 80's with being designed by Romita and being a collaboration of Marvel and a record label. She's been a favorite of mine since the old X Men arcade game...

~M~
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:28 AM   #1782
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Hey guys, have a question- has Apocalypse ever gone to battle with the Sentinels?
Old 06-12-2016, 01:46 AM   #1783
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP-05 View Post
Hey guys, have a question- has Apocalypse ever gone to battle with the Sentinels?
I don't remember anything like that. I'd recommend Age of Apocalypse for a story with heavy involvement, but toward the end it gets to be like a Batman vs Superman/late 90s Batman movie clusterfük. Way too many characters, though it bears reiterating the story is good, and the art good in that 90s way (forgive me please for my want of a more exact way of describing it).

I finished up the two big volumes of Whedon's Astonishing series today. Really liked it. I'm currently giving the House of M story arc a workout, up to Messiah Complex and it's quite good but...

but I have yet to read an X-men story the quality of the Dark Phoenix Saga. I was there when those issues came out, and damn glad I was. I don't care if that sounds old, that was just a fantastic story imo.
KilowogsDisciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:27 PM   #1784
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Ok, GUISE

I'm seriously thinking about.....eating your wife. NAH jk. That's my favorite line from the movie Hannibal.

If one such as myself wanted to get into the comic world of the X-Men, what would you all suggest as a good starting point? A variety of opinions is welcome.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:30 PM   #1785
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

Dark Phoenix Saga.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:53 PM   #1786
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends

That or Days of Future Past

Just start with the beginning of Chris Claremont's run from 1975

Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:56 PM   #1787
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster Beetle View Post

Oh HELL yeah! This man knows his Marvel!
Old 06-12-2016, 05:01 PM   #1788
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Ok, GUISE

I'm seriously thinking about.....eating your wife. NAH jk. That's my favorite line from the movie Hannibal.

If one such as myself wanted to get into the comic world of the X-Men, what would you all suggest as a good starting point? A variety of opinions is welcome.
Are there any specific characters you're interested in reading? The classic stuff that's already been recommended is good but if you're looking for something more recent I usually recommend Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men to new readers.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:04 PM   #1789
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Fatal Attractions has just been solicited for a new printing, and that's one of the big-time X-stories.

If you don't mind a focus on Wolverine over the others, Barry Windsor-Smith's Weapon X mini (available in trade) is a must.

The old Uncanny X-Men issues are currently being reprinted in omnibus format. Pricing is moderately expensive (two are $100, one is $125), but they collect a piss-ton of the story (including parts of what leads into the Dark Phoenix Saga, I believe; haven't all three volumes, let alone the time to read such a huge amount of content).

Matt Fraction's run can be collected easily (three volumes), and did well if I recall.

Mutant Genesis 2.0 has been in recent print, and is a redrawing and recoloring of the X-Men relaunch from the 1990s (the difference is stunning, and the collected editions do in fact have the unfolding covers).

Mutant Massacre got a recent publishing, and is a critical X-story.

I'd have to put more thought into it beyond those quick-picks.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:16 PM   #1790
KilowogsDisciple
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
Are there any specific characters you're interested in reading? The classic stuff that's already been recommended is good but if you're looking for something more recent I usually recommend Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men to new readers.
That is a great one, just finished it for the first time.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:37 AM   #1791
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster Beetle View Post

Yup, I definitely want to read DoFP. I'm assuming it comes in trade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
For characters, I guess Magneto would be my focus. After seeing Fassenbender's performance in Apocalypse, I got some major feels about what this guy has gone through in his life. Kinda the same way I look at Victor.

I also have a few arcs(?) I'm specifically interested in- Apocalypse, the original Onslaught saga (I only know the back end from Franklin's Counter Earth and how Victor tamed a land), the Phoenix saga, and a few more, but I'm unsure what order they go in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
Fatal Attractions has just been solicited for a new printing, and that's one of the big-time X-stories.

If you don't mind a focus on Wolverine over the others, Barry Windsor-Smith's Weapon X mini (available in trade) is a must.

The old Uncanny X-Men issues are currently being reprinted in omnibus format. Pricing is moderately expensive (two are $100, one is $125), but they collect a piss-ton of the story (including parts of what leads into the Dark Phoenix Saga, I believe; haven't all three volumes, let alone the time to read such a huge amount of content).

Matt Fraction's run can be collected easily (three volumes), and did well if I recall.

Mutant Genesis 2.0 has been in recent print, and is a redrawing and recoloring of the X-Men relaunch from the 1990s (the difference is stunning, and the collected editions do in fact have the unfolding covers).

Mutant Massacre got a recent publishing, and is a critical X-story.

I'd have to put more thought into it beyond those quick-picks.
I will keep these in mind. I'm copying and pasting all the titles to a master X-Men sheet as you guys suggest them.

Thank you!
Old 06-13-2016, 02:09 AM   #1792
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

The Onslaught Saga is four volumes, I think. A "Road to Onslaught" and then three actual publications containing the extensive story.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:43 AM   #1793
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
The Onslaught Saga is four volumes, I think. A "Road to Onslaught" and then three actual publications containing the extensive story.
I've been collecting all Doom appearances for the last twenty years (not that I remember them all, cuz, you know, I'm old n' shit) and I *may* have the single issue when Doom joins the fight against Onslaught, but now I want to read the whole entire story.

Thank you for that info. Next time I'm at the LCS, I will have a list for him.

There are two XM titles I currently have. One is XM vs. The FF and the other is a Magneto-specific trade whose exact title I can't remember at the moment but it was recommended to me long ago and I remember enjoying it.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:09 PM   #1794
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Quote:
Ok, GUISE

Quote:

For characters, I guess Magneto would be my focus. After seeing Fassenbender's performance in Apocalypse, I got some major feels about what this guy has gone through in his life. Kinda the same way I look at Victor.
Mutant Genesis for Magneto story. As for a starting point...if you don't mind those really old issues, then go ahead with the Claremont run from Dark Phoenix saga then Days of Future Past, then its a matter of what you think is important.

Are you trying to get all the information or just enough to understand what's going on now?
Old 06-13-2016, 05:56 PM   #1795
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
Mutant Genesis for Magneto story. As for a starting point...if you don't mind those really old issues, then go ahead with the Claremont run from Dark Phoenix saga then Days of Future Past, then its a matter of what you think is important.

Are you trying to get all the information or just enough to understand what's going on now?
I'm not entirely sure right now, tbh. At some point, I would very much like to know the entire story since inception, but for now, I guess the bullet points will do.

I also remembered the title of that Magneto trade I have- it's called Testament.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:37 PM   #1796
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

Quote:
Ok, GUISE

X-Men by Grant Morrison, Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon, Wolverine and The X-Men by Jason Aaron. X-Men God Loves Man Kills, Uncanny X-Force, Old Man Logan (a Wolverine story but a damn good one), and I'll throw in excalibur if you want something a bit different.
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:02 PM   #1797
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Wolverine & The X-Men by Aaron was a damn fine series.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:58 AM   #1798
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelous Iggy View Post
X-Men by Grant Morrison, Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon, Wolverine and The X-Men by Jason Aaron. X-Men God Loves Man Kills, Uncanny X-Force, Old Man Logan (a Wolverine story but a damn good one), and I'll throw in excalibur if you want something a bit different.
I'm pretty sure I have the original Old Man Logan (they just resurrected the title after SW, right?) - that's the story where Logan and Hawkeye go cross country tripping and happen to bounce through some kind of Latverian stronghold where Victor watches them as they leave.....am I correct on that one?

Than you for the other title suggestions. "God Loves Man Kills" sounds awesome just by the title alone.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:05 AM   #1799
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

That's the old story where Reverend Stryker stirs up a religious movement against mutants. Wolverine has one of his best "interrogation" scenes in it. It's also where the "Colonel" Stryker played by Brian Cox in X-2: X-Men United came from.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:16 AM   #1800
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Peter David Talks To Bleeding Cool About *That* New York Comic Con Panel