Feeling a bit bummed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling a bit bummed...

My son is graduating from High School this year, and he is a stellar student. High grades, high test scores, Robotic team, Math Club, Jazz Band, many AP classes (and even more AP tests that he took on his own initiative, even though the school didn't offer the class...all with high scores). He got glowing recommendations from both Science and English teachers, plus the Math Professor from Reed College, where he took a class as part of their Young Scholars program, because he had long since exhausted the math offerings at his school (he also took a couple of other college level math courses, during the summers, at the local community college, all with high grades).

He applied to 14 schools.

He got accepted only at Oregon State University, plus a couple UC schools
    (UCLA, and San Diego) that we probably can't afford to send him to, what with out-of-state tuition being so high.

He didn't even get accepted at Reed College, where they accept an average of about a THIRD of applicants AND he had already attended class (and excelled), and gotten a recommendation from the professor.

It is just so discouraging. He's on several "wait lists", but I don't know how much hope to hold out there.

He seems to be bearing it well, but I find it somewhat telling that he apparently knew that he hadn't been accepted at all these places (apparently these days, schools don't bother sending actual letters unless you are accepted. He found out on-line) but didn't tell us until we asked directly, puzzled by why he hadn't received anything in the mail. So I'm wondering if he was thinking we'd be disappointed in HIM. Which we aren't.

I'm freakin' disappointed in these schools. I know, I've probably got "Dad Goggles" on, but I feel like he's brilliant. Smarter than me, probably (certainly smarter, and a better student, than I was when I was accepted early decision by Rice University). Reed especially boggles my mind. I just can't fathom how he's not in the top third of applicants they got, when in addition to his High School record, he's already demonstrated that he can handle THEIR coursework in his chosen field.

I don't want to vent my frustration where HE'LL hear about it, though, so I'm venting here. (Yes, my wife and I also have talked at length about it. She feels the same as I do.)

Sorry to hear it's going that way so far for your son Ed. Just keep him motivated to keep trying and applying. You are doing the right thing not showing him how bummed you are Ed. Keep his spirits up. He'll get there.

Comment

I got wait listed to the school I eventually went to. The ironic bit was that I got this big scholarship (bigger in seeming prestige than in actual endowment), which brought all of this attention. The president of my eventual college (state school) actually spoke at my HS for a ceremony involved in all that and said something about how he was glad I picked their school. When he was done, I told him I was wait listed. Some time later I happened to get an official acceptance letter. Go figure. The whole process is baffling and annoying. Hope it gets better.
      Space Cop
      The Dandy
      Last edited by Space Cop; 04-09-2018, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Well, I think we figured out why he was waitlisted at Reed, anyway. Apparently, unlike the vast majority (12 of the 14) of schools he applied to, Reed's admissions are not "need blind". So apparently they give you MUCH higher consideration if you will be able to pay full price (which we cannot even remotely do).

Somehow we missed this during the application process (probably because they don't actually draw attention to it, instead making a big deal about how they will meet 100% of demonstrated need for any student they accept...not pointing out that this is because they will mostly accept people with no demonstrated need).

Ah well. Nothing I can do about that at this point.

Comment

^Well, it still stinks, but at least he can be confident it's not for a lack of academic requirement.

Comment

Yo.

I never went to college so this is an experience Ive no exp in, however I do understand disappointment & frustration, so plz except this small token of e-sentiment from me:

*slides Mr. Ed a straw-'nana smoothie (cuz I don't drink alcohol)...*

sorry yur son is going thru this man. :/

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
            Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

Originally posted by Tazer View Post
              Yo.

I never went to college so this is an experience Ive no exp in, however I do understand disappointment & frustration, so plz except this small token of e-sentiment from me:

*slides Mr. Ed a straw-'nana smoothie (cuz I don't drink alcohol)...*

sorry yur son is going thru this man. :/

Tazer
              Thanks man. (I don't really like strawberries, but somehow the e-version tastes just as good with them in it.)

Comment

Sorry that had to happen to you Ed. Unfortunately that's all too common these days. Colleges are really "specific" and "picky", with the kids they accept. I was lucky to find a College that accepted me immediately, but not every kid has that fortune.

If you can't find any colleges to apply your son to soon, I'd suggest having him take a year off or something, and wait to see what happens. It's probably the best you can do at this point.

Comment

Well, he was accepted to OSU (they accepted him ages ago, so fast that we were amazed that ANY decisions came out that soon), and we're going to accept that while we wait to see if he gets in off the waitlist anywhere else. So he's definitely going to college next year. He'd just rather go somewhere with a bit more recognition of academic excellence than our state school.

Comment

Well at least it does sound like he is going to college. That's better then nothing, I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                    X