The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 08-18-2017, 02:11 PM   #1
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Question Jack Kirby's the Guardian

So there's all those one shots this month to celebrate what would have been the comics legend's 100th birthday.... but no Guardian among them. You know what would be AMAZING right about now? A recognizable hero with a shield not getting completely mucked with. Don't give him some super tech'ed out looking costume, don't let him fly on his shield [who's idea was THAT again?!?], and don't try to fill some PC quota by making him anybody other than Jim Harper. For some time DC used him in the Superman titles in the 90's 00's. And it makes sense, he was a hero with ties to Suicide Slum. He was a mentor to the clone Superboy for much of his series. And just before the New52 reboot Guardian was even in the Justice League of America for a time.

All I'm trying to get at here is with all the controversy regarding the current situation with Hydra Cap over at Marvel, the celebration of Kirby at DC ATM just seems like a wasted opportunity to only get a maxi series for one character created by Kirby [and NO, I'm not including the new Challengers since it spins out of METAL]. Don't get me wrong, I'm also a fan of the classic iteration of Manhunter [who's getting a one shot!], I just think Guardian is a better bet as a solo star. I also think Orion is a better sell than Mister Miracle but I'm excited for that series all the same!

The character has ties to Superman, the WWII era, as well as Suicide Slum. There's so much potential to let it go to waste. The main difference between Guardian and Captain America is pretty simple. And once you look at it from a different perspective it makes complete sense. Capt. America is a super soldier. Guardian is a super cop. In Metropolis no less.

Anybody else a fan of the golden Guardian? Just imagine a series by a team like Greg Rucka, Dale Eaglesham, with covers by Alex Ross...

~//V\\

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world." - Albert Einstein

Last edited by -//V\\-; 08-18-2017 at 05:53 PM.
-//V\\- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 03:44 AM   #2
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Nobody? For shame...

~//V\\~

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world." - Albert Einstein
Old 08-25-2017, 12:51 PM   #3
Space Cop
The Dandy

Just not a character I ever followed. Anything I read of him as always been because he was in a book I was already picking up and I forgot his backstory.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:34 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Martini Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Just not a character I ever followed. Anything I read of him as always been because he was in a book I was already picking up and I forgot his backstory.
The same. I think he was a clone or something?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:51 PM   #5
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

They cloned him several times and used him in the 90's era Superboy comic. He was tied to Cadmus, and they took that iteration for the version in the Young Justice cartoon.

I think being based in Metropolis is a plus, and he's basically the DC equivalent to Marvel's Capt. America. The best thing is he's not tied to any big government organization like SHIELD, and if you take him back to his roots he was a detective in Suicide Slums who took matters into his own hands when the justice system failed. It seems generic but there's so much potential to spin it a little differently in the post New52/Rebirth universe. I'd probably make him the first clone of the original, with the memories of the original from the 40's and 50's. That way it's a bit of both worlds. Fish out of water, enhanced attributes due to the cloning, Superman being around... it almost writes itself.

Anything created or co-created by Jack Kirby, and even Steve Ditko, should be given a fair shake at newer material from DC and Marvel before they become more irrelevant than they are already becoming. These Jack Kirby one-shots are a start and the Demon and Mr. Miracle minis/maxis are a good start... but there's so much more they could be doing.

~//V\\~