FLASHCHAT

Sector 0

Old 03-04-2017, 02:37 AM   #1
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Default How about this setup?

Hal in a GL title set on Earth.

Guy in a GL title set in space.

(Not an A title and a B title there. Both getting an equal push.)

John in JLA.

Kyle rebooted as young and in Titans.

Alan, of course, in JSA. The real Alan.

Baz and Cruz doing something else, not as Lanterns, in a recurring mini.

The emotional spectrum in a recurring mini.

Sinestro in a recurring mini as a fugitive GL, not the leader of a Corps.

The Guardians rebooted as good.

The reboot depicting the four Earth Lanterns getting their rings at the same time. No hierarchy among them, although of course Kyle's age sets him a bit apart.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-04-2017 at 02:48 AM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:46 PM   #2
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Post deleted.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-04-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:29 PM   #3
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

An idea I've always had in the back of my head was that a third GL ongoing, Mosaic, would be spun off, and Hal would become the GL of Oa, to look after the marooned cities and their conflicts. Tom Kamalku would take over his role on Earth, remaining at Ferris. But unfortunately that may not be feasible.

That's not a slight to John. He'd have the most visible role, because JLA would be the best seller of the lot.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-04-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:57 PM   #4
Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I
First of His Name, King of the Andals and Jägerbombs

Too many titles.

I'd do Hal Jordan in Green Lantern on Earth AND space. He should be in the JLA.

Green Lantern Corps starring Guy and John with the bulk of the Corps.

Alan in the JSA.

The GL franchise is too weak at the moment to bother doing more than two titles. They can't even get ONE right currently.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:03 PM   #5
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
Too many titles.

I'd do Hal Jordan in Green Lantern on Earth AND space. He should be in the JLA.

Green Lantern Corps starring Guy and John with the bulk of the Corps.

Alan in the JSA.

The GL franchise is too weak at the moment to bother doing more than two titles. They can't even get ONE right currently.
That's only two GL ongoings, one with Hal on Earth and one with Guy in space. John, Kyle and Alan would serve on existing teams. Everything else would be a recurring mini, which could be canceled at any point if they didn't sell.

No Mosaic ongoing until this setup works well enough to justify it.

You're right though that they'd have to do the two ongoings right. But simply doing what I said there would help a lot to accomplish that.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-04-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:51 AM   #6
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

And keep the two titles pretty much separate. Don't let what happens in one dictate what happens in the other. Focus on telling stories in each comic, not coordinating them.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:44 PM   #7

Honestly, I think the franchise needs to contract, shrink and lick it's wounds. Concentrate on getting better before doing spinoffs.

The titles are both still selling in the 30ks so it's not reasonable to do this at the moment, but when they both dip into the 20ks I would cancel them both and relaunch a Green Lantern volume 6 #1. Starring Hal Jordan on Earth and in space in a nice mix. Put an A-list writer and artist team on it. Make it THE hot book again that people are talking about. Nobody in comic shops or online are talking about GL books anymore. Put everything you have into ONE GL title by a team that's so big it CAN'T be ignored.

Then around the one year mark, launch a GLC title with another big name creative team. Keep the talent on BOTH titles as long as possible.

It worked in 2005-2006 and it can work again.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:48 PM   #8

DC can add all the spinoff Green Lantern titles they want, but it doesn't matter if the quality isn't there. Two of shit is shit. If DC REALLY wants to f#@k you, they'll give you THREE of these things.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:33 PM   #9
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

One title is not enough. You need to think bigger. If two won't work then you do something different.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:26 PM   #10
JohnMc
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
Hal in a GL title set on Earth.

Guy in a GL title set in space.

(Not an A title and a B title there. Both getting an equal push.)

John in JLA.

Kyle rebooted as young and in Titans.

Alan, of course, in JSA. The real Alan.

Baz and Cruz doing something else, not as Lanterns, in a recurring mini.
The problem with having so many Lanterns from Earth is that we want to see them on Earth interacting with their supporting cast. Kyle had a great supporting cast with Radu,Terry and others. Guy had Buck Wargo and the Monster Hunters, Black Hawk Zinda. Plus in the reboot he has a Sister named Gloria and his Brother Mace [now known as Gerard] who didn't go insane. Both Baltimore Police Officers and Guy being a former one. Hal has Tom and his Brothers and their families. Fans want to see them interacting with their supporting cast again.
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:36 PM   #11
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
The problem with having so many Lanterns from Earth is that we want to see them on Earth interacting with their supporting cast. Kyle had a great supporting cast with Radu,Terry and others. Guy had Buck Wargo and the Monster Hunters, Black Hawk Zinda. Plus in the reboot he has a Sister named Gloria and his Brother Mace [now known as Gerard] who didn't go insane. Both Baltimore Police Officers and Guy being a former one. Hal has Tom and his Brothers and their families. Fans want to see them interacting with their supporting cast again.
All of them on Earth except for Guy, and that doesn't stop him from coming back.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:03 PM   #12
JohnMc
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
All of them on Earth except for Guy, and that doesn't stop him from coming back.
Have them rotate from time to time.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:47 PM   #13
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

If you want to see Warrior back, I posted an idea here for it here in #26.

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...t=24494&page=2
Old 03-07-2017, 03:21 PM   #14
JohnMc
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
If you want to see Warrior back, I posted an idea here for it here in #26.

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...t=24494&page=2
Guy already has a clone. Joe. Though whether he still exists after all the reboots is anyone's guess.

I'd rather Guy be Warrior properly again then have him suffer another round of "Musical power rings" or "What do we do with these guys while we're busy pushing Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz?"
Old 03-07-2017, 03:36 PM   #15
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
Guy already has a clone. Joe. Though whether he still exists after all the reboots is anyone's guess.

I'd rather Guy be Warrior properly again then have him suffer another round of "Musical power rings" or "What do we do with these guys while we're busy pushing Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz?"
Guy as Warrior was tried, and it failed decisively. That's one of those things, like eight-track cassettes and dial-up Internet accounts, that just aren't coming back.

Joe Gardner should go away in a reboot.

Re Baz and Cruz: THEY are the ones who need to do something other than be GLs.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-07-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:27 PM   #16
JohnMc
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
Guy as Warrior was tried, and it failed decisively.
Guy as Warrior may not have been your cup of tea but it didn't fail decisively. It was just another case of DC not knowing what they wanted to do.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:05 PM   #17
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

The numbers say otherwise. The last issue's sales were below 17K on ICV2, which means below 20K in actual numbers -- the cancellation point.

Trying it again and hoping for a better outcome is not an option.

Baz and Cruz are the ones who need to get out of the other Lanterns' way. Not Guy. And certainly not as Warrior again.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:28 PM   #18
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

This setup is reasonable and fair. It gives all the pre-Johns Earth Lanterns good camera time.

I'd call Hal's title Green Lantern: Coast City, and Guy's title Green Lantern: Space. But whatever. As long as there's no hint that one is an A title and one a B title.

Geoff can find non-Lantern roles for Baz and Cruz. As I said, a recurring mini would probably work best for them.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-08-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:10 PM   #19
Star-Lantern
Manhunter Repairman

From a practical standpoint, since Hal Jordan and John Stewart will be used in the supposed upcoming film, I would only focus on them as leading protagonists. Which... is actually what I would do anyway. I don't know what Lantern the films will use in the Justice League, but whichever is used (if any) is who I would have in the Justice League in the comics.

There are different ways you can go about this. You can put Hal Jordan on Earth and try to rebuild his supporting cast and rogues gallery, and John Stewart in space with the Green Lantern Corps. That seems the most basic thing to to, since Hal Jordan's fans seem to want to see him on Earth, and John Stewart really doesn't have a supporting cast or rogues gallery unto himself.

But...

Upon really considering it, I don't think Hal Jordan has a lot going on on Earth, either, which is likely why the writers don't often put him there. His rogues mostly suck, in my opinion. To be acceptable, they would either need to be reinvented or there would have to be new ones made. Either way, I think nearly as much effort would need to be spent establishing a worthwhile setting and villains for Hal Jordan as it would for John Stewart. Some of the villains are salvageable, like Doctor Polaris, but there are several others like Goldface that I just don't see any use for today. If I went that route, I'd probably reintroduce Jason Bloch as a villain, and reintroduce characters like Bruce Gordon, Rich Davis, and, of course, Tom, to the supporting cast.

John Stewart is nearly a blank slate if you decide to station him on Earth. The creative team would need to create a cast and setting, which is certainly doable (I'm not sure why some I've seen think it's impossible). Whether it would be great or not depends on the team involved, but I guess you could say that about anything. If it were me writing that scenario, I'd ride off of JL/U and involve the Shayera version of Hawkgirl in the cast. Or you can say Mosaic never happened and reboot Rose Hardin in some new role. Or do both. I'd, of course, keep Rose a single mother hillbilly, I'd just find some way to make that work minus the Mosaic World. It'd take some brainstorming.

For an interesting change of pace, I'd probably put John Stewart on Earth and build up a world for him there. We haven't seen anything like that with the character since the mid 1980s. I'd have Hal Jordan with the Corps in space.

As for the other Green Lantern characters, I'm not sure. If I was WB, it would depend on what plan I would have with them in other media, if any. If there wouldn't be any plan to use them, I wouldn't use them unless the story REALLY called for it. I wouldn't go out of my way to use them, though. I mentioned before that I don't have any problem with shelving characters if there isn't anything to say with them at the moment, or if where you're headed just doesn't need them. I would only focus on building up the characters that I'd plan on using in big films. The others are excess, in my opinion.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 03-13-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:02 PM   #20
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

The fact that Hal has no presence on Earth is just a failure of the writers and the editors. The setup is there, but they haven't used it. Hal would be the easiest to write in a solo title based on Earth. Just go back to the fundamentals there, with some tweaking.

To me the only close call is, where should John and Guy go? In the JLA or in space?

I think Guy would do well in either place. He'd present a good contrast to the other characters in JLA, and he'd do well in space with Arisia, Kilowog, Boodikka, etc.

I think the best spot for John is JLA, so give Guy the space beat.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-13-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:06 PM   #21
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Let me hasten to add though that if the GL space title is about the emotional spectrum, it'll flop.

BTW, why has Hal's setup on Earth gone unused for so long? It's because the emotional spectrum has usurped its place in the comic's concept.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-13-2017 at 05:20 PM.