The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps
FLASHCHAT

View Poll Results: Do you like this?
Yes 13 72.22%
No 5 27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2017, 04:19 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Martini Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default Kyle returns to his "classic self" in Hal Jordan & the GLC #17

http://insidepulse.com/2017/03/20/dc...lantern-corps/

How fucking horrible. Kyle becomes Ion, what do they do? Make him a normal Green Lantern again. Kyle becomes Ion again, what do they do? Make him a normal Green Lantern again. Kyle becomes a White Lantern, what do they do? Make him a... c'mon, why? Why regress him? Being a White Lantern was like the only thing keeping him a standout, now he's just one face in a crowd of other GLs, fighting for more than one or two panels.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:41 PM   #2
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I think it's a great move. Kyle should never have been anything but a Green Lantern. Now they need find something different for Baz and Cruz to do.

But a full reboot that restores the Guardians, starts all four Earth Lanterns on an equal footing, and makes Kyle young enough to serve with Teen Titans would be even better.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:42 PM   #3
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

http://insidepulse.com/2017/03/20/dc...lantern-corps/

How fucking horrible. Kyle becomes Ion, what do they do? Make him a normal Green Lantern again. Kyle becomes Ion again, what do they do? Make him a normal Green Lantern again. Kyle becomes a White Lantern, what do they do? Make him a... c'mon, why? Why regress him? Being a White Lantern was like the only thing keeping him a standout, now he's just one face in a crowd of other GLs, fighting for more than one or two panels.
Based off the discussion we've been having in the news thread, it looks like only you and IonFan are against the change. Everyone else seems to be applauding the move, though I'm kind of ambivalent on it.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:47 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Martini Master

How could it possibly be a good thing? He's a dude lost in an ensemble book with a titular lead that isn't him. At least as a White Lantern, every once in a while he's guaranteed to at least have some facetime as "Let's bring in the secret weapon!" or something. Now? Nada.

I remember his last time in Tomasi's GLC (another ensemble book, though not even as bad as this situation as that book didn't have one titular lead) as a regular GL. In like 3 years, he never did anything to remotely stand out there. He barely got a girlfriend (Soranik Natu) before that was voided.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:48 PM   #5
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

When somebody screws up and admits it, they deserve praise. I'm giving it. I just hope they don't stop here but go all the way with it.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:59 PM   #6
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
How could it possibly be a good thing? He's a dude lost in an ensemble book with a titular lead that isn't him. At least as a White Lantern, every once in a while he's guaranteed to at least have some facetime as "Let's bring in the secret weapon!" or something. Now? Nada.

I remember his last time in Tomasi's GLC (another ensemble book, though not even as bad as this situation as that book didn't have one titular lead) as a regular GL. In like 3 years, he never did anything to remotely stand out there. He barely got a girlfriend (Soranik Natu) before that was voided.
Kill the ensemble book and put Kyle in Titans.

Put Hal in an Earth-based title.

Put either John or Guy in JLA, and the other in a space-based title. I would prefer John in JLA and Guy in space.

Problems solved.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:03 PM   #7
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Oh, and DO NOT make the space-based title about the emotional spectrum! Either kill that shit or use it in a recurring mini.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:07 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Martini Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
Kill the ensemble book and put Kyle in Titans.

Put Hal in an Earth-based title.

Put either John or Guy in JLA, and the other in a space-based title. I would prefer John in JLA and Guy in space.

Problems solved.
Hal should be leading John and Guy in space. Kyle has always thrived on Earth. Barring that, way back I was kind of in love with the idea of Kyle leading the "Challengers from Beyond" as kind of a Multiverse police force, protecting Earth-0 from Multiversal threats... that'd be even more interesting as a White Lantern.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:31 PM   #9
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Kyle was at his most popular when he was a Green Lantern. After they made him "special," he went downhill.

They've tried it and tried it, and it didn't work. They need to go back to what did work.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:00 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Martini Master

Quote:
Kyle was at his most popular when he was a Green Lantern.
He was at his most popular when he was THE Green Lantern. That's no longer possible, and just as a random face on a team didn't cut it last time and really won't cut it this time.

This is because of one of two reasons... or maybe both:

1) The same reason when this happened before, "Super-powered Kyle is 'too difficult' to write."

2) WB upstairs doesn't want any Super Lanterns floating around the comics that aren't named Hal Jordan or John Stewart, who are heading up their GLC movie. Alternately, Kyle is being written into the GLC script as one of the Lanterns and they want to keep things "matching" in the comics, as they're known to do.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:06 PM   #11
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Marz Ion DID work, then it got screwed with by editorial to fit with what was happening with Sinestro Corps War. The first three issues sold between 66k - 50k, which is still better than a lot of 2nd tier books.

Giving Kyle back to his original creator, even with a new alias and altered power set, was the best thing they could've done at that point.

I'm mostly thrilled he's back to the green side of things because it's been too long. I really expected him to become a blue full time. EVS should've stuck with the classic crabmask suit symbol, that new symbol will be a little harder for colorists with a symbol on top of a split circle. Glad he did his homework and got the mask down perfect.

Kyle should NEVER be a 'teen' Titan, just an older Titan. However I do like the Challengers angle as well.

~//V\\~
-//V\\- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:09 PM   #12
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

They won't change the name and concept of Teen Titans just so Kyle can join as an adult. Kyle will need to be adapted for that.

Which is fine. He was only about 22 when he was introduced anyway.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:34 PM   #13
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Why change him into a teen when Nightwing leads a team of adult Titans already? Do you even keep up with what they're publishing?

~//V\\~
Old 03-20-2017, 09:36 PM   #14
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
They won't change the name and concept of Teen Titans just so Kyle can join as an adult. Kyle will need to be adapted for that.

Which is fine. He was only about 22 when he was introduced anyway.
People also claimed Kyle would/could NEVER EEEEEEEVER hook up with Carol Ferris. How'd that one go again? LOL

~//V\\~
Old 03-20-2017, 09:41 PM   #15
Andrew NDB
Martini Master

I wouldn't be wholly against Kyle on just a Titans book... you know, Nightwing, Donna Troy, Arsenal, that kind of adult group. No "Teen" in title. At least then he wouldn't be fighting for panels next to 3 other Lanterns with the same powers as him.

Might even be like when Kyle was a member of the JLA. That worked well. In fact, why not just put Kyle on the JLA now?
Old 03-20-2017, 09:49 PM   #16
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Hal is the only GL who's been on the JL since the New52 changed everything. Now Jess and Baz are on the same JL team. Though that kinda pisses me off, like neither of them are worth a shit alone so you gotta keep them paired up even in another team title.

Kyle in Titans is about the best we could hope for. He'll never have another solo title so a tag-team adventure once in awhile with Roy or Wally is out the window, so that's the next best thing. He better hurry though before Donna and Roy start knockin' boots.

I figure maybe since Kyle spent so much time as a White Lantern he'd remember classic Wally somewhat, same as the current Superman remembering Wally.

~//V\\~
Old 03-20-2017, 09:51 PM   #17
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Titans is for characters who have graduated from Teen Titans. Kyle didn't do that. Also, making him that age is the best way to distinguish him from the other Earth Lanterns. Making him "special" has failed.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:01 PM   #18
Star-Lantern
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

I think the idea is that DC is trying to get its characters back to status quos where they were most popular, but in the case of Green Lantern, at least, they are only half doing it, thus I don't think it will have the desired effect of galvanizing these disparate fanbases.

Kyle has always been a "special" Lantern since his inception. It was brought out his ring didn't work the same way the typical Lantern ring did, and he didn't have a yellow weakness. He was most popular when he was the only Lantern around, not when the Corps is around and he's just another Lantern. Simply making him another Green Lantern won't bring him back to his most popular status quo. The idea of separating him from the Corps actually has logic to it because that's how he was when he was most popular. I'm not saying that White Lantern is a great idea, but I understand the reasoning behind doing and don't really think it's bad. The execution just wasn't the best, in my opinion.

John Stewart was most popular when he was on a cartoon with the Justice league and Hal Jordan was barely even addressed. You won't get him to his most popular status quo by dragging him behind Hal Jordan.

Guy Gardner was probably his most popular when he was in Justice League International. You would have to reform that team to get him to his most popular status quo.

So DC is acting like they're bringing things back to basics with these characters and getting them in positions when people loved them most, but all they are really doing is dragging them behind Hal Jordan, as the title of the comic suggests, and I really don't think that's what the fans of those different characters want to see. Though, I do understand the dilemma DC is in. I think Green Lantern is just one giant clusterfuck, where you really can't please all of these fans, and they make things even worse by introducing unnecessary characters like Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz to add insult to injury.

I sit back and watch some, but I've de-invested myself from it.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 03-20-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:06 PM   #19
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Titans has been a title for characters affiliated with the classic Titans but were never Teen Titans, just look at New Titans, Team Titans, and later... the most clever name for such a team title though... TITANS. Just to list a few examples... Impulse, Kyle, Supergirl/Matrix, Damage, Terra II, and Minion were NEVER 'Teen Titans'.

Making Kyle special has been selling comics he's been appearing in for years. It's the only reason anybody I know picked up the recent Omega Men series. Nobody was picking up New Guardians for Arkillo and Walker either. Why he hasn't got another solo title despite his fans following him from one shitty book to the next with a glimmer of hope in their eyes is beyond me. Reminds me of Tim Drake becoming Red Robin and being INCREDIBLE. Then the new52 happened and Tim just went to complete shit. Lost his history, his cool KC inspired suit, and it made NO SENSE when his solo title was so well received.

DC being stubborn DC as usual.

~//V\\~
Old 03-21-2017, 12:03 AM   #20
Space Cop
The Dandy

I think Kyle, Baz, and Jessica could all die in some big event. Kyle could die in a heroic self-sacrifice, while the other two bump their heads and drown pointlessly.

Last edited by Space Cop; 03-21-2017 at 03:10 AM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:03 AM   #21
Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I
First of His Name, King of the Andals and Jägerbombs

They should do a parody story for ha-has, Fred Hembeck style. Have Hal as the Spectre, Guy as the Vulcrapian Warrior, John as a Guardian, and Kyle as a White Lantern. The story can be how they are all fighting over who gets to keep the Phantom Lantern ring.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:18 AM   #22
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
They should do a parody story for ha-has, Fred Hembeck style. Have Hal as the Spectre, Guy as the Vulcrapian Warrior, John as a Guardian, and Kyle as a White Lantern. The story can be how they are all fighting over who gets to keep the Phantom Lantern ring.
Don't give them any ideas.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:48 PM   #23
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
When somebody screws up and admits it, they deserve praise. . .
Old 03-21-2017, 01:45 PM   #24
IonFan
Forum Member

i voted no

IonFan says

Quote:
8 years ago i had 40+ hours a week, heath-care, and was full time, i can't say that anymore THAT'S WHY I VOTED TRUMP! (also i wanted to destroy the Rep. party, i didn't think he'd actually win)
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:22 PM   #25
gambello
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

So, after reading this, I'm guessing our blue Watchman remember prevented the "resurrection"? And where are the Templar Guardians?
gambello is offline   Reply With Quote