The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern on the Screen
FLASHCHAT

GL in Animation

Old 01-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #2026
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

What merchandise was there to not move? I haven't seen toy one from GL:TAS or else I would own them all by now.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:49 PM   #2027
Space Cop
The Dandy

Sucks. The one benefit for me, though, is I go down to watching only two shows on TV. I was feeling that I was watching too much TV anyway.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #2028
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern A-train View Post
What merchandise was there to not move? I haven't seen toy one from GL:TAS or else I would own them all by now.
I'm guessing merchandise from the movie. Kind of a cross marketing thing. I still see that shit everywhere.
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #2029
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

You can't connect TheNew52 with any cartoon. Cartoon Network is launching "Beware The Batman" and that's the furthest thing from theNew52 as you can get. Not to mention Teen Titans Go which features Dick Grayson as Robin, Cyborg on the Titans, a GREEN Beast Boy, and villains that we probably won't be seeing in the comics for another ten years.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #2030
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauntlet101010 View Post
I'm guessing merchandise from the movie. Kind of a cross marketing thing. I still see that shit everywhere.
TRU has the movie masters on clearance and still can't move that crap. I've seen a few figures at Ross and Marshalls for $3 each, and I still won't pick them up.

If there was an action figure line for GLTAS, the show would have done much better in the ratings. People would see the toys on the shelves and go out of their way to catch the show.

Having the show air once a week didn't help matters any, in addition to the 3-month hiatus. It's like the CN was deliberately trying to sabotage GL and YJ.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:21 PM   #2031
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Well, if they finish out the current storyline AND release it on DVD, I'll be reasonably content. Basically, at this point, nothing short of a new GL show could compel me to watch anything on CN ever again, no matter HOW good it looks, since they would just cancel it in short order if it wasn't idiotic.

And a GL show would only get my viewership because I'm a sucker for GL- the whole time I'd be waiting for the axe to fall.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:34 PM   #2032
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Cartoon network sucks now. They wanted the show dead.

With CN I guess you can’t have both mature shows and kiddy crap.

Last edited by Mister.Weirdo; 01-28-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #2033
Prime
Attention Whore

I JUST started watching and now I hear this. GAHHHHHHH
Old 01-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #2034
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern A-train View Post
There’s no merchandising for GL the animated series and the movie merchandising doesn’t count.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #2035
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Hey guys apparently here’s a potential reason why GL and YJ were cancelled (note: It proves my theory). And I just wanted to say, I’m really really pissed after reading this. Cartoon Network is run by morons.

http://blog.newsarama.com/2012/10/17...isappear/#comm ents

"So, I spoke to one of the former Producers of “Adventure Time” at the Alternative Press Expo this past weekend (won’t name names). Mainly because I knew he worked at Cartoon Network & I wanted to complain to someone about them cancelling “Thundercats”.
He said that whenever comedic cartoons, such as “Adventure Time” are the most popular (like now), CN pulls the plug on their action shows (and vice versa when action shows are more popular). What they do is pull the show off air for a few months, & then return it to the air without announcing or promoting it. Naturally, the viewers will have dropped off (no one knew it was coming back). CN then uses this rationale to drop the shows completely: “Well, we brought it back, but no one was watching.”
That’s exactly what they did to the new He-Man show back in 2003/2004. That’s exactly what they did to “Thundercats” last year.
And this is exactly what is going on with the DC Nation block right now".

Last edited by Mister.Weirdo; 01-28-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #2036
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
Cartoon network sucks now. They wanted the show dead.

With CN I guess you can’t have both mature shows and kiddy crap.
Calling their usual fare "kiddy crap" is kind of insulting to kids in general. I know MY kids see ads for the other junk that is on all the time on CN and say, "What the heck?"

They seem to be banking heavily on the idea that cartoon shows (and live shows for that matter) should just be straight up bizarre. I can't even begin to fathom the thought process that went into producing most of the incomprehensible nonsense that they put on. I see the ads, or catch part of the show, and think, "What on Earth is this? Is this supposed to be funny?"
Old 01-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #2037
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

I guess you guys are right regarding it relating to merch and the new 52, although I still do think it's related to the movie bombing.

Damn, I didn't connect this to Thundercats. *sigh*, it'd be nice if things were cancelled and extended due to merits.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:28 PM   #2038
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Calling their usual fare "kiddy crap" is kind of insulting to kids in general. I know MY kids see ads for the other junk that is on all the time on CN and say, "What the heck?"

They seem to be banking heavily on the idea that cartoon shows (and live shows for that matter) should just be straight up bizarre. I can't even begin to fathom the thought process that went into producing most of the incomprehensible nonsense that they put on. I see the ads, or catch part of the show, and think, "What on Earth is this? Is this supposed to be funny?"
Well I wouldn’t say regular time or Adventure Time are terrible, their pretty good for teens and kids (although Adventure time does get on my nerves sometimes).

But what really gets me angry about CN is that they essentially tried to make Dragons: Riders of Berk the next big cartoon and when that failed they tried to have it replace GL and YJ (and it got worse ratings than both of those shows but they aren't cancelling it apparently).

Stuart Snyder is a dumbass.

Last edited by Mister.Weirdo; 01-28-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:29 PM   #2039
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
Hey guys apparently here’s a potential reason why GL and YJ were cancelled (note: It proves my theory). And I just wanted to say, I’m really really pissed after reading this. Cartoon Network is run by morons.

http://blog.newsarama.com/2012/10/17...isappear/#comm ents

So, I spoke to one of the former Producers of “Adventure Time” at the Alternative Press Expo this past weekend (won’t name names). Mainly because I knew he worked at Cartoon Network & I wanted to complain to someone about them cancelling “Thundercats”.
He said that whenever comedic cartoons, such as “Adventure Time” are the most popular (like now), CN pulls the plug on their action shows (and vice versa when action shows are more popular). What they do is pull the show off air for a few months, & then return it to the air without announcing or promoting it. Naturally, the viewers will have dropped off (no one knew it was coming back). CN then uses this rationale to drop the shows completely: “Well, we brought it back, but no one was watching.”
That’s exactly what they did to the new He-Man show back in 2003/2004. That’s exactly what they did to “Thundercats” last year.
And this is exactly what is going on with the DC Nation block right now.
Except, as far as I can tell, despite their manipulation, GL is actually doing BETTER in the ratings than before, and better than some shows that they ARE keeping on. So their attempt to manufacture a rationale has failed in this case. Yet they still did it, so clearly they aren't TOO concerned about coming up with a "reason" to dump the shows.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:38 PM   #2040
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Cartoon Network's Official Statement on Green Lantern: The Animated Series Future
Old 01-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #2041
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Except, as far as I can tell, despite their manipulation, GL is actually doing BETTER in the ratings than before, and better than some shows that they ARE keeping on. So their attempt to manufacture a rationale has failed in this case. Yet they still did it, so clearly they aren't TOO concerned about coming up with a "reason" to dump the shows.
Nope like I’ve said over and over again, they wanted it cancelled.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:43 PM   #2042
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

Gotta admit, I don't see what they're trying to say there.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:48 PM   #2043
Mister Ed

Why do they even bother to make a statement when it is such transparent nonsense? Do they really think anybody that cares about the show will buy the idea that they didn't cancel it, but it had just "run its course"?

Not to mention the laughable statement that they are still committed to quality action programming. To be "still" committed to something, you have to have been committed to it in the first place, CN.

Should've been, "We are still committed to an endless succession of quality action programs that we will cancel prematurely for no reason, then replace with something else we will also cancel.

I think the issue is that they never had any intention of expanding the DC Nation block, so with two new shows on the way, the two shows they had were doomed. If either of the new DC shows wasn't going to be ready until next year, I bet one of the current shows would have stuck around until then.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 01-28-2013 at 11:55 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:49 PM   #2044
InterestingJohn
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via AIM to InterestingJohn Send a message via MSN to InterestingJohn Send a message via Yahoo to InterestingJohn

WB should probably investigate the management of CN, it sounds like they're abusing their own system. I haven't really watched anything on CN for years, and thus I shall continue for the future.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #2045
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Green Lantern is not Batman and that's why it got cancelled.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:59 PM   #2046
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauntlet101010 View Post
Gotta admit, I don't see what they're trying to say there.
"Don't blame us! We didn't cancel them, honest! We just didn't renew them because they had 'run their course'. And HEY, did we mention that there is a new BATMAN show coming?!? You should totally get invested in that one, because we are 'committed to quality action programming'! We would NEVER cancel THAT one EITHER. It is totally safe as long as it doesn't 'run its course'!"
Old 01-29-2013, 12:01 AM   #2047
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Primus View Post
Green Lantern is not Batman and that's why it got cancelled.
I seriously doubt that the Batman show will stick around in the long run, either. Three seasons TOPS, I'd say, and that's only if WB doesn't hand them any MORE shows they want to premiere, because I don't believe they have any intention of EVER expanding the DC Nation block beyond two shows.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:02 AM   #2048
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
"Don't blame us! We didn't cancel them, honest! We just didn't renew them because they had 'run their course'. And HEY, did we mention that there is a new BATMAN show coming?!? You should totally get invested in that one, because we are 'committed to quality action programming'! We would NEVER cancel THAT one EITHER. It is totally safe as long as it doesn't 'run its course'!"
Old 01-29-2013, 12:06 AM   #2049
InterestingJohn
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via AIM to InterestingJohn Send a message via MSN to InterestingJohn Send a message via Yahoo to InterestingJohn

I wonder if the crew of GLTAS thinks the show "ran it's course"...
Old 01-29-2013, 12:12 AM   #2050
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestingJohn View Post
I wonder if the crew of GLTAS thinks the show "ran it's course"...
Considering the fact that they wanted it to last six or more seasons, I’d say no.