Guardian of the Universe

Default Oh joy! Another Earth Lantern!

Just what we needed, right?

http://thegreenlanterncorps.com/teen...s-from-bendis/
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:58 PM   #2
Space Cop
The Dandy

Well, I hope it's the kid lantern that feature in HJatGLC. If they invent another lantern on top of that kid lantern, it's really excessive. I didn't catch the bit about it being an Earth lantern except that it will be on Earth's TT.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:54 PM   #3
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Well, the article does say she is from Bolivia, so sounds like yet another Earth Lantern. I assume this is different from the teen GL that was supposed to be part of the new youth imprint? The one who gets the ring his grandmother had? I got the feeling that one wasn't part of regular continuity.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:17 PM   #4
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Well, the article does say she is from Bolivia, so sounds like yet another Earth Lantern. I assume this is different from the teen GL that was supposed to be part of the new youth imprint? The one who gets the ring his grandmother had? I got the feeling that one wasn't part of regular continuity.
That's what I get for skimming the article and commenting.

So, we could have three GLs who are minors in current comics?
Old 10-04-2018, 11:23 PM   #5
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I would say that kids should not be handed automatic rifles, much less power rings. But hey, neither should raging blood pukers, right?
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:57 PM   #6
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Yea, that's different, the young adult stuff is not in continuity. This is going to be in continuity though I assume she won't be an official part of the corps, since she's hacking a power battery.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:54 AM   #7
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
I would say that kids should not be handed automatic rifles, much less power rings. But hey, neither should raging blood pukers, right?
What if they use the ring to accelerate their puberty and engage in a relationship with a senior lantern? That's okay, right?
Old 10-05-2018, 01:14 AM   #8
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
What if they use the ring to accelerate their puberty and engage in a relationship with a senior lantern? That's okay, right?
If they're from an alien planet? Sure.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:22 AM   #9
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
...I see what you did there!
Old 10-05-2018, 03:16 AM   #10
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
...I see what you did there!
I kid, but Arisia is actually my favorite of Hal's girlfriends. Maybe because it's so messed up.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:53 AM   #11
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

At least now her character has been an adult far longer than she was a teen in her overall publication existence. Not that anyone does anything with her anymore.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:42 AM   #12
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

While "Teen Lantern" being yet another new Earth character from west of the Atlantic is insane, for me the news gets drowned in the return of Impulse, Cassie Sandsmark and Kon-El, the latter even being in the original Grummett costume.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:36 AM   #13
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

^^^ Same. I can't believe Bendis is doing YJ... and... THE WONDER TWINS!!! LOL

*I know I'm probably alone on that one*

Old 10-05-2018, 09:58 AM   #14
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Oh, I read everything Mark Russell is doing. If it's Wonder Twins, it's Wonder Twins.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:30 PM   #15
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Can't wait for Wonder Twins, Mark Russell and Stephen Byrne, should be great.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:43 PM   #16
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Are the Twins getting their own comic? Where's THAT article?

EDIT: Scratch that, I see I didn't read enough into this LOL

EDIT 2: I could've sworn it was mentioned the Milestone characters would be featured in some new material soon and we've yet to get it as far as I know. However DC is quick to promote anything Bendis is involved in, to the point of creating a new in-house imprint for the stable of younger characters, new characters, etc. Why can't they give us a good Static series and promote it a bit better than the last go-round rather than give us stuff nobody's asking for like another Dial H series?! And how is it this stuff gets pushed while properties and concepts that are much more popular sit on the shelf collecting dust?

To get back on the topic of the Teen Lantern.... how does a kid hack a power battery? It's not a phone, or a computer, doesn't have a control panel, and generally just has the one function (powering a ring). It's more like a kid hacking into.... a phone or computer charger. Which is also not possible because they don't have anything other than a single function with no real controls to be hacked.

Looks like DC is gonna let Bendis be Bendis and do whatever the hell he wants despite most of it making no damn sense. His Action Comics isn't doing what they thought it would, why do they think anything else will be a bigger success for him?

Last edited by Ωmega Man; 10-06-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:34 PM   #17
Space Cop
The Dandy

^It's true. GLC shouldn't be "hackable" in any human terms. I can see the current excuse for Cyborg Superman doing it, but that's because of his powers.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:02 PM   #18
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

The teen hacker lantern character is apparently an idea Patrick Gleason has had for a while so when Bendis was thinking of adding a lantern to the book Gleason told him about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ωmega Man View Post
EDIT 2: I could've sworn it was mentioned the Milestone characters would be featured in some new material soon and we've yet to get it as far as I know. However DC is quick to promote anything Bendis is involved in, to the point of creating a new in-house imprint for the stable of younger characters, new characters, etc. Why can't they give us a good Static series and promote it a bit better than the last go-round rather than give us stuff nobody's asking for like another Dial H series?! And how is it this stuff gets pushed while properties and concepts that are much more popular sit on the shelf collecting dust?
Was at the Bendis spotlight panel today, a fan asked him about Static being included in Young Justice, he said one of the first calls he made was to the Milestone guys, Reginald Hudlin specifically, about the possibility of including Static but given where those guys are with the Milestone relaunch they weren't comfortable with him appearing in other books.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:22 AM   #19
jhpace1
Corpse Trainee

They just need to jump into the 26th Century with the Justice League story about Earth making its' own Green Lanterns with a Central Power Battery. All new GLs come from Earth. Problem solved.
jhpace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:24 PM   #20
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

A teen Bolivian hacker, huh? Sounds like a very "important" Green Lantern.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:18 PM   #21
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhpace1 View Post
They just need to jump into the 26th Century with the Justice League story about Earth making its' own Green Lanterns with a Central Power Battery. All new GLs come from Earth. Problem solved.
I LOVED that concept in the last JL series! Think I made a thread for it down the page. The 'Power Plagues', Earth being cut off from the rest of the universe, etc. the whole set-up just worked for me. I always wondered who the last Earth Lantern was who chose to stay with the people of Earth rather than continue with the GLC proper.

And did you catch the "first of it's kind" line when Baz and Cruz were being told about the CPB? That had me thinking another planet had its own Corps as well, maybe even a different color...

Old 11-20-2018, 01:07 AM   #22
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Old 11-21-2018, 12:54 AM   #23
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

The second half of the new YJ just irritates the hell out of me. Wonder Girl is good but the other three are eyesores. Aside from a teen being able to hack into the GL equivalent of a phone charger [and it looks like shes wearing a ring to me...] Jinny Hex being here makes no sense. The concept is interesting but... not for Young Justice. It's a teenage girl with what... good aim and her grand pappy's rifle? On a team with Superboy and Wondergirl and an apprentice of Batman? And IDK what it is about Amethyst but I've never really cared for the concept.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:14 AM   #24
jhpace1
Corpse Trainee

Amethyst and Gemworld was a short-lived alternative world comic (not Earth, but several magical portals to Earth). Amethyst had the gem-color scheme that is obviously going to conflict with the Color Lantern Corps, but they might handwave that.

But yes, this looks like the "bottom of the barrel" Young Justice. Plus...the "other evil Superboy", the half-human, metahuman-hating, metahuman-and-hero-killing, Jon Kent? I thought that plot-line was safely killed off two years ago in the future-jumping Impulse & Teen Titans thread.
jhpace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:05 PM   #25
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

That looks dreadful. Even as a kid I would have rolled my eyes at that garbage. They are trying too hard to attract young girls as readers.