The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern: New Guardians/Kyle Rayner
FLASHCHAT

Kyle Rayner

Old 03-16-2014, 09:08 PM   #1
Vegeta5887
Corps Recruit

Send a message via Skype™ to Vegeta5887
Question Is Kyle now immortal?

This is something that's been bothering me for a while. Is Kyle Rayner, as a white lantern, effectively invincible and immortal?
I'm not saying can you steal his ring and shoot him. yeah that'd make him pretty dead. I'm saying that if we remember properly, Sinestro was cut almost clean in half by Nekron, death itself, and was repaired. What if this super-regenerative power, further shown by Kyle surviving the Source Wall, illustrate that unless he's removed from the mantle of the white ring, he is immortal and will never die, no matter what? Discuss.

Further note, wasn't he sort of immortal and cosmically all-powerful as Ion way back before the retcons?

EDIT: On that note, wouldn't he be able to survive until the end of the current universe, or even be the one to drain it dry due to having the most powerful ring?
Old 03-16-2014, 09:27 PM   #2
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

I do not believe Kyle is immortal.
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:08 PM   #3
Vegeta5887
Corps Recruit

Reasoning to this would be?
Old 03-16-2014, 11:50 PM   #4
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

If so, does that mean he can stop worrying about Radu raising his rent?
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:06 PM   #5
SocializingMogo
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegeta5887 View Post
Reasoning to this would be?
Reasoning would be that WLC is using the captain planet version of white energy whilst in Brightest Day there was a white lantern.
SocializingMogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #6
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

Sinestro was able to be sliced in half and not die because he was possesed by the White Lantern entity if I am not mistaken (I could be wrong though. It's been ages since I read it).
Old 03-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
SocializingMogo
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern A-train View Post
Sinestro was able to be sliced in half and not die because he was possesed by the White Lantern entity if I am not mistaken (I could be wrong though. It's been ages since I read it).
Yeah, like this.
SocializingMogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:54 PM   #8
Vegeta5887
Corps Recruit

Hm, so the difference is, Sinestro was channeling literally every bit of life all at once, and Kyle is just "captain planet"ing the colors to form a superpowered white ring?
Old 03-18-2014, 01:50 AM   #9
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Technically, no. Kyle was killed by Ganthet, and his ring changed to white and resurrected him. (Which, of course, was never explained.) And Kyle mainlined all of life much like Sinestro did when he was possessed during the Relic fight. But the usage of the white ring has been inconsistent ever since Blackest Night.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:38 AM   #10
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I like Kyle as a special Lantern, but I'm not touching the Capt. Planet 7 colors of wonderful Kyle. When he goes to the side of Green again I'll buy it monthly. Till then the GL franchise will not see a penny of my money...

~KL~
Old 04-15-2014, 08:24 PM   #11
The_Power_of_WillPrevails
Corpse Trainee

Wow. I'm really behind on what is going on in the GL universe. I just recently found out that Guy is a Red Lantern. When the hell did that happen, and why?

On another note more to this thread's discussion, why is Kyle being hated on for having control of the different corps rings?
Old 04-15-2014, 08:48 PM   #12
Corpse Trainee

Wow. I'm really behind on what is going on in the GL universe. I just recently found out that Guy is a Red Lantern. When the hell did that happen, and why?

On another note more to this thread's discussion, why is Kyle being hated on for having control of the different corps rings?
Old 04-15-2014, 08:57 PM   #13
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Hal sent him to keep an eye on the Red Lanterns, undercover-style. Unfortunately things kind of spiraled out of control from there, when Guy went and killed Atrocitus and took over the RLC (well, sort of. Atrocitus got better, and Guy insists that the RLC doesn't HAVE a leader, even though it seems like he ends up calling the shots for the most part). With the Blue Lanterns gone (aside from Saint Walker, who has lost his sense of hope, and therefore can no longer wear the ring) there's no way to safely remove the Red ring from Guy. Guy seems to have "gone native" in a sense, bonding with the Red Lanterns, and no longer answering to Hal. In fact, in exchange for the Red Lantern's help a while back, Guy extracted a promise that Hal would give them their own sector, and Guy took 2814, so now, supposedly, Baz is the ONLY GL allowed in 2184 (and only on Earth).
Old 04-16-2014, 02:55 AM   #14
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Power_of_WillPrevails View Post
Because he's Kyle. DUH!

And he doesn't control the rings. He can directly access the emotional spectrum itself; he's got a white ring, but he can use eight different colors. (Probably nine, we just haven't see it yet.) He could heal Guy with a snap.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #15
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
...He could heal Guy with a snap.
Good point. And that might be how they conclude it if they throw Guy of RL and when Kyle is discovered to be alive.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:03 PM   #16
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Good point. And that might be how they conclude it if they throw Guy of RL and when Kyle is discovered to be alive.
Yeah, while it seems logical that Kyle could get Guy, or Supergirl, out of the red rings, nobody except Carol knows he's still alive.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:23 PM   #17
RandomGuy
Kyle's Nude Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Yeah, while it seems logical that Kyle could get Guy, or Supergirl, out of the red rings, nobody except Carol knows he's still alive.
See, I thought he couldn't access blue with their Central Battery destroyed. He couldn't heal Saint Walker remember.
RandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:29 PM   #18
RandomGuy
Kyle's Nude Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern A-train View Post
Hmmm. Wasn't Kyle possessed by all the entities before he entered the wall? Maybe it was a one off thing since they're all gone (so we're lead to believe). If Sinestro was immortal when he was possessed. Maybe Kyle was just for that moment.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:07 PM   #19
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGuy View Post
See, I thought he couldn't access blue with their Central Battery destroyed. He couldn't heal Saint Walker remember.
Which made no sense. He accesses the emotions directly, not through their batteries.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:21 PM   #20
Mister Ed

Yeah, that seems nonsensical. Plus without Blue, shouldn't he be a kind of warm gray instead of white? (I've actually no idea what color you would get if you mixed all those colors minus blue.)

You'd think that, at the very least, without access to the Blue, he'd be unable to use White, since his ability to use White was, I thought, a product of mastering all the other colors...
Old 04-16-2014, 06:24 PM   #21
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Right. And he used green just fine after the CPB (and Oa) got blowed up real good.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:50 PM   #22
RandomGuy
Kyle's Nude Model

Quote:
Right. And he used green just fine after the CPB (and Oa) got blowed up real good.
Yea, just as I said that I read New Guardians #30 and he harnessed blue in this issue. Well, he tried to at least. With no luck (at least trying to heal someone).

The last panel actually kind of points to the whole question of this thread entirely.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #23
RandomGuy
Kyle's Nude Model

Quote:
Which made no sense. He accesses the emotions directly, not through their batteries.
I see your confusion. Btw the line as Saint Walker lay injured was:

"Because he [Relic] has taken hope, you cannot tap the blue light to heal Walker because there is simply no blue to tap."

(as Relic was sapping the remaining energy from the Blue Battery)

and to the best of my knowledge that was the last time he used the blue light until this recent issue.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:43 PM   #24
Corpse Trainee

Wow. I have clearly missed out on a lot of stuff. I have been going to school for IT and haven't had a job in a while so I haven't had the money to buy comics. The last GL Guardians book I read was The Volume One tpb. I got it for Christmas. I need to find a way to read all these and get back in the loop.

Thanks for answering my questions guys.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:08 AM   #25
rasendori04
Corps Recruit

*Spoiler*

I got GL issue 30, not sure where that falls right now, but in the first 6 or so pages, the GL corps is holding a funeral. One of th most prominent dead is Kyle. Now, I am not sure where this stands since the last GL book I read was back in Oct. when the vol. 3 came out and I thought GL was done for a while.
rasendori04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
godmode, kyle rayner, white lantern