The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > The Green Lantern
FLASHCHAT

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2019, 10:23 PM   #301
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer
 
Hypo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Earth-42
Posts: 22,312
Default

Quote:
THE GREEN LANTERN SEASON TWO #1
written by GRANT MORRISON
art and cover by LIAM SHARP
variant cover by GERALD PAREL
blank variant cover

The team of writer Grant Morrison and artist Liam Sharp continue their bold new take on the Emerald Warrior in a wild 30-page second season opener!
In the wake of the Blackstar incursion, Hal Jordan and his fellow Lanterns must pick up the pieces from that cataclysmic conclusion. Among them is Jordanís next critical mission: search for the next generation of cosmic immortals. Is the universe ready forÖthe Young Guardians?

ON SALE 02.12.20
$4.99 US | 1 OF 12 | 40 PAGES
FC | DC

This issue will ship with three covers.
Please see the order form for details.
__________________
Hypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:49 PM   #302
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color
 
Mister Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 14,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
Well it wouldn't be a GL comic, if there wasn't some major Guardians' changes in there, now and again.
In the old days, that just meant that a Guardian would die here and there, or that they would go into seclusion. I preferred that to them ALL killing themselves (except Ganthet), then being brought back as kids, then growing up overnight, then retroactively being evil, then being replaced by a different group, then (apparently) disappearing again somehow and being replaced by yet more youngsters.

To my mind, the Guardians as incredibly ancient, wise, and benevolent beings (even if their benevolence might not always look like it at street level) is what makes the GLC work as an organization. It is what gives them some level of legitimacy in their role of preserving cosmic order. Otherwise they seem like a self-appointed police force made up of an assortment of sentients with no real basis for claiming to know what is best for the universe.
__________________
Mister Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:31 PM   #303
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe
 
Mister.Weirdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 8,777
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
In the old days, that just meant that a Guardian would die here and there, or that they would go into seclusion. I preferred that to them ALL killing themselves (except Ganthet), then being brought back as kids, then growing up overnight, then retroactively being evil, then being replaced by a different group, then (apparently) disappearing again somehow and being replaced by yet more youngsters.

To my mind, the Guardians as incredibly ancient, wise, and benevolent beings (even if their benevolence might not always look like it at street level) is what makes the GLC work as an organization. It is what gives them some level of legitimacy in their role of preserving cosmic order. Otherwise they seem like a self-appointed police force made up of an assortment of sentients with no real basis for claiming to know what is best for the universe.
I agree, but writers like to change up the status quo, so that means that The Guardians have to be taken down a notch, or changed-up. I'd much rather prefer they'd be wise-old ancient deity's again, as opposed to ignorant billion years old fools, but apparently that doesn't make for good storytelling these days. I'll admit, I find it quite frustrating.
__________________
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:07 AM   #304
jhpace1
Manhunter Repairman
 
jhpace1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Graham, NC, USA
Posts: 327
Default

So now the Templar Guardians (those that didn't die from the Controllers), Ganthet, and Sayd are gone.

Here I was hoping to see Ganthet and Sayd making the Blue Lantern Corps again.

The lantern in the picture above looks bizarrely different. Oh joy.

So Hal is trying to re-ignite the GLC by recruiting both "lawmen" instead of Mogo/Oa choosing "those without fear" or "able to overcome fear". And Hal is even recruiting new Guardians. Like that ever worked in the old GL.

I can just barely stand the artwork as well. It reminds me of the "independent" comics, or worse yet, Jason Yungbluth (https://www.whatisdeepfried.com/). I just can't stand the style. I miss the clean, crisp Dan Jurgens.
jhpace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:16 AM   #305
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Evergreen State
Posts: 14,248
Blog Entries: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhpace1 View Post
So now the Templar Guardians (those that didn't die from the Controllers), Ganthet, and Sayd are gone.
Wait, what happened to them?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:37 AM   #306
jhpace1
Manhunter Repairman
 
jhpace1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Graham, NC, USA
Posts: 327
Default

I'm just saying I don't see them in the black&white previews above, nor in the description.
jhpace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:08 PM   #307
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color
 
Mister Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 14,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Wait, what happened to them?
No idea, but I'm assuming the need for new Guardians was prompted by the absence of the present ones. (I recall the Controllers doing something to them, but I don't remember how that turned out.)
__________________
Mister Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:12 AM   #308
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer
 
Hypo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Earth-42
Posts: 22,312
Default



Quote:
THE GREEN LANTERN SEASON TWO #2
written by GRANT MORRISON
art and cover by LIAM SHARP
variant cover by NICOLA SCOTT

Hal Jordan is stuck on the worst possible planet he can imagine: Earth! Reassigned by the bold new Guardians to patrol his home planet, Hal finds himself a bit bored with his familiar haunts versus the infinite expanse and adventure of outer space. But when an invasion from the dawn of time strikes the planet, can Hal stopÖthe Ornitho-Men?!

ON SALE 03.11.20
$3.99 US | 2 OF 12 | 32 PAGES
FC | DC

This issue will ship with two covers.
Please see the order form for details.
__________________
Hypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:07 PM   #309
BLACK HAND
Green Lantern Initiate
 
BLACK HAND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 455
Default

Good news for people who wanted a more grounded approach to GL with Hal spending time on earth, building relationships, etc.
BLACK HAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:21 PM   #310
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe
 
Trey Strain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 10,879
Default

Sometimes I suspect that Grant Morrison reads this board.

The only thing he's done wrong with Hal so far is to proceed from the idea that he's a space cop, which is the only bad idea of Geoff's that he's carried forward. The space cop should be Guy. And it looks like Morrison is fixing that.

Now if he'll just make Ferris a racing company instead of an aircraft manufacturer... well, then he can work on losing the ring constructs.

Yeah.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 12-18-2019 at 07:23 PM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:37 AM   #311
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard
 
Big Blue Lantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post

Now if he'll just make Ferris a racing company instead of an aircraft manufacturer... well, then he can work on losing the ring constructs.

Yeah.
Dude, Green Lantern is a SPACE title, not a Nascar title. Perish the thought of Ferris Air being connected to racing.
__________________
Part of the BIG BLUE NATION, I am.
Big Blue Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:40 AM   #312
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard
 
Big Blue Lantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
Sometimes I suspect that Grant Morrison reads this board.

The only thing he's done wrong with Hal so far is to proceed from the idea that he's a space cop, which is the only bad idea of Geoff's that he's carried forward. The space cop should be Guy. And it looks like Morrison is fixing that.

Now if he'll just make Ferris a racing company instead of an aircraft manufacturer... well, then he can work on losing the ring constructs.

Yeah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post


I hope that's better than it sounds....or looks at this point. Hal's on Earth fighting bird men? Who possibly get his ring away from him? That doesn't bode well. I guess we'll just have to hope for the best.
__________________
Part of the BIG BLUE NATION, I am.
Big Blue Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:17 AM   #313
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Evergreen State
Posts: 14,248
Blog Entries: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK HAND View Post
Good news for people who wanted a more grounded approach to GL with Hal spending time on earth, building relationships, etc.
Yeah, I'm good with this.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 01:35 PM   #314
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe
 
Trey Strain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 10,879
Default

Get those neurons firing, BBL duuuuuuuude. I didn't say there shouldn't be a GL comic that's based in space. I said Hal should star in an Earth-based comic.

You just focus on Jessica Cruz and let me focus on everything else.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 12-19-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:22 PM   #315
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard
 
Big Blue Lantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,286
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
Get those neurons firing, BBL duuuuuuuude. I didn't say there shouldn't be a GL comic that's based in space. I said Hal should star in an Earth-based comic.

You just focus on Jessica Cruz and let me focus on everything else.
Hal has always been a character closely associated with flight and aerial battles. A transition to something like an astronaut made sense, but you want to turn him in Richard Petty?
__________________
Part of the BIG BLUE NATION, I am.
Big Blue Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:37 PM   #316
Space Cop
The Dandy
 
Space Cop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Third State
Posts: 26,983
Blog Entries: 2
Default

He hasn't had a job in years. No need for him to go back to it. And a NASCAR driver can't make his own hours. They're busy most Saturdays and Sundays (not to mention in-between stuff). What's he going to do when he's on lap 17 of the Coca Cola 600 and galactic war breaks out? Just pop out the window in front of a thousand spectators and millions watching on camera? Tell the Guardians they'll have to wait several hours?
__________________
Space Cop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:57 PM   #317
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe
 
Trey Strain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 10,879
Default

Test pilots are becoming obsolete. Software is taking their jobs. Nobody is going to pay for test pilots and their life insurance policies when they can program software at a fraction of the cost.

Race car drivers will always have jobs.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:11 PM   #318
Space Cop
The Dandy
 
Space Cop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Third State
Posts: 26,983
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
Test pilots are becoming obsolete. Software is taking their jobs. Nobody is going to pay for test pilots and their life insurance policies when they can program software at a fraction of the cost.

Race car drivers will always have jobs.
Again, he doesnít have a job now. Itís not a question of him being a test pilot vs. something else. Itís a question of adding a job he doesnít have. When he did last have a job it was with the air force and they made it clear heís not that any more.
__________________
Space Cop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:46 PM   #319
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Evergreen State
Posts: 14,248
Blog Entries: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Again, he doesnít have a job now. Itís not a question of him being a test pilot vs. something else. Itís a question of adding a job he doesnít have. When he did last have a job it was with the air force and they made it clear heís not that any more.
But has he really improved as a character since he wasn't that?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:49 PM   #320
Space Cop
The Dandy
 
Space Cop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Third State
Posts: 26,983
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
But has he really improved as a character since he wasn't that?
I'm not arguing for or against that, but Trey keeps proposing this as an alternative to test pilot as if that's what he is. He hasn't been that in decades. And I don't think an answer would be a job that you can't leave or re-arrange and which has a celebrity status that means many more people/cameras are looking at you.
__________________
Space Cop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:52 PM   #321
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe
 
Trey Strain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 10,879
Default

His supporting cast -- Carol, Tom and Carl -- are connected to his job.

Yeah, I know. Every writer thinks he has a "better" idea than that. Just like every writer thinks he can create a "better" Green Lantern. But it never works out that way. Any writer who thinks he has a "better" idea should create his own comic.

Just put Hal on Earth in a viable profession that features his supporting cast. His REAL supporting cast, not Cowgirl.

How does a billionaire like Bruce Wayne find the opportunity to do all the stuff Batman does? Come on. It's comic books.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 12-19-2019 at 11:57 PM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 02:03 AM   #322
Space Cop
The Dandy
 
Space Cop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Third State
Posts: 26,983
Blog Entries: 2
Default

^Yeah, Bruce is right on the edge with his "job." They do explain that he's essentially a trust-fund baby and doesn't have to show up for meetings and such, but then they try to have their cake and eat it too by showing him very aware of what Wayne Enterprises is doing.
__________________
Space Cop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 01:12 PM   #323
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard
 
Big Blue Lantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post

Race car drivers will always have jobs.
Hal has never shown any interest, at least that I can remember, in race cars. After traveling the skies of Earth and the cosmos, I could see him laughing at the idea of being confined to terrestrial vehicles. Racing sounds much more like a Baz characteristic than a Hal one.

An updated job (like DC did with Earth One) is a viable idea, just not racing. There are still other ways for Highball to be Highball.
__________________
Part of the BIG BLUE NATION, I am.
Big Blue Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 01:55 PM   #324
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe
 
Trey Strain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 10,879
Default

Being a test pilot is dangerous. That's why John Broome gave Hal that job.

Racing cars is dangerous too.

A test pilot needs a company to work for. That's how Hal got his supporting cast.

A race driver needs a company to work for too.

It's the very same idea.

This would require a reboot. And that's a GOOD thing. Many BAD things could be flushed with a reboot -- including Kyle's origin, John's destroying planets and the Giffen era of Guy.

Just don't let someone like Geoff do it, because he'd be more interested in adding his own stuff than in getting rid of the bad stuff. He'd also change hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of small details, for no other reason than to mark it as his territory -- the same reason that a dog pisses on its surroundings.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 12-20-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:24 PM   #325
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard
 
Big Blue Lantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
Being a test pilot is dangerous. That's why John Broome gave Hal that job.

Racing cars is dangerous too.

A test pilot needs a company to work for. That's how Hal got his supporting cast.

A race driver needs a company to work for too.

It's the very same idea.

They're not even close to being comparable. Flight is about reaching beyond the bounds of gravity. Racing is a sport, and a niche one at that. I can't imagine it inspiring new readers or being accepted by old ones since it's counterintuitive to the original concept.
__________________
Part of the BIG BLUE NATION, I am.
Big Blue Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.