General

Old 09-17-2017, 12:13 PM   #6651
Space Cop
The Dandy

The Last Horror Movie (2003)

"No creativity without neuroses."

All Creatures Great and Small (1975)

"So, I'm hired then?"

Before the much more popular show came this TV movie. Not bad.

Last edited by Space Cop; 09-17-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:01 PM   #6652
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

To Be or Not To Be (1983)

"Ladies and gentlemen, for the sake of your sanity, the rest of the movie will not be in Polish."

"SCHULTZ!"

A theater company in 1939 Warsaw, Poland, has a difficult time adjusting to life after Nazi Germany invades, but gets up to its neck in trouble when it is dragged into an espionage plot to save the resistance and escape oppression.

I have to say this was absolutely hilarious and brilliant. It's political as shit (which is why my dad has never heard of it despite knowing well enough about Mel Brooks's works), but the gags are just great. It was great to see George Gaynes again (always loved him in Police Academy), and both Charles Durning and Christopher Lloyd were beyond hysterical as bungling Gestapo (Durning always demanding answers of Lloyd, Lloyd trying to explain, Durning getting pissed that Lloyd is apparently blaming him).

I got a real kick out of all the twists and turns things take, the whole "imposter" routine and the trickery the theater pulls off. This also plays very well to how internally competitive and suspicious the Nazis were of each other, essentially sabotaging themselves in grabs for glory.

Overall a hilarious and fun watch.

Highly recommend.

Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner
Agent Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:19 AM   #6653
Space Cop
The Dandy

The Giant Claw (1957)

"I said it looked like a battleship, not that it was a battleship."

Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

"Monsters and peace, huh?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
To Be or Not To Be (1983)
Yeah, I don't remember the details of that one well, but I remember really liking it. It's also cool to see Brooks and Bancroft together like that knowing they were real-life husband and wife.

Quote:
This also plays very well to how internally competitive and suspicious the Nazis were of each other, essentially sabotaging themselves in grabs for glory. . .
It's true. Himmler had a file on Hitler all ready to go if he had the opportunity so he could overthrow him and set up the SS in his place. And when Goering didn't show at the bunker in the Battle for Berlin, Hitler denounced him as a traitor. There was so much suspicion and intrigue within the Reich that (apart from their evil) they could not endure as an organization. The whole upper echelon would've self-destructed even if they could have maintained power.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:25 AM   #6654
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Saw this at the telluride screenings in Dartmouth. Actually liked it quite a bit. It's really funny and surprisingly fairly deep too. It's less about the fantastical elements and more about the mundane in typical Payne fashion. Damon's good but Waltz may be the MVP. A lot of his lines and delivery, had my theater rolling with laughing anyway.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:45 PM   #6655
Space Cop
The Dandy

MST3K: The Amazing Colossal Man (1957/1991)

"The Army's best stock footage is called for duty!"

I tried to stream a copy of ACM on Youtube and it actually got pulled when I was about ten minutes from finishing it. So, I ordered a burned copy (there's no official DVD release) and re-watched the MST3K episode.

Batman vs. Robin (2015)

"A biological accident doesn't make you my father and as sure as hell doesn't make me your son!"

The Monolith Monsters (1957)

"The desert's full of things that don't belong."

Shrek Forever After (2010)

"Are my kids cute or do they make people uncomfortable?"
Old 09-19-2017, 07:58 PM   #6656
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Shit, the clerk at my LCS has been trying to find any copy of ACM for ages. If it's in MST3K form, then I'm gonna have to grab a copy for myself as well.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:43 PM   #6657
Space Cop
The Dandy

Day of the Kamikaze (2008)

"That's not how you're supposed to fight a war."

Power Rangers (2017)

"Krispy Kreme? This is a special place?!"

I never watched MMPR, so I came in to this with the barest of expectations. I thought it was decent, not great.

The Pirates (2014)

"What kind of pirate gets seasick?"

A pretty good Korean pirate adventure story. On the way to founding a new capitol, a governor loses the royal seal to a whale attack and pretty soon threatens pirates to hunt the whale down. Another band of land-based bandits gets part of the story and gives pirating a try. Lots of comedy, but good action. At least as good as the first PotC sequel (probably better). And the lady pirate leader may be the most attractive pirate I've seen in a movie.

War of the Colossal Beast (1958)

"Giants can run fast. They have long legs."

CHiPs (2017)

"If this was a public bathroom, you'd be shooting your weapon all over the place."

Raunchy as all get out and totally counter to the show, but I guess it was worth a watch.

The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)

"Yes, smaller than the smallest, I meant something, too. To God, there is no zero. I still exist!"

And, no, I wasn't specifically aiming for a marathon of 60-year-old sci-fi movies. It's just when I got started the others were either on the same disc or recommended on the sidebar of Youtube.

Quote:
Shit, the clerk at my LCS has been trying to find any copy of ACM for ages. If it's in MST3K form, then I'm gonna have to grab a copy for myself as well.
Good luck. That version seems to be rare (and confined to VHS) too. I watched it on Youtube, which also has the MST3K version of the sequel (War of the Colossal Beast). I'm streaming the non-riffed version now.

Last edited by Space Cop; Yesterday at 03:25 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:58 PM   #6658
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

All Eyez on me- I enjoyed this because I'm a fan, but felt like they glossed over a great deal of content in the interest of time. I also felt that they tried canonizing his character like he was a civil rights activist, which he was certainly not. That doesn't make it any less enjoyable, though.

Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM   #6659
Space Cop
The Dandy

Viva Las Vegas (1964)

"Can you check my motor, it whistles.
-I don't blame it."

This is one of Elvis' bigger movies in terms of production. It would probably only be a mediocre entry had he not been paired with the very sexy Ann-Margret. They have a notable chemistry, which by many accounts continued off set.

The Dropbox (2014)

"The reason I decided to become their father was because adopted me."

A documentary about a pastor in South Korea who started adopting handicapped children and eventually puts in a safe box (in the style of the medieval church) to prevent kids being abandoned and dying of exposure. It also addresses some of the controversy it sparked, though it's certainly positive overall (though often sad). Good watch.

Mr. 3000 (2004)

"Stan, you heard the sausage."

The Eye (2002)

"Have you seen my report card?"

Christine (1983)

"Don't think you have the golden key to the crapper!"

Happy Birthday, Stephen King.
R.I.P, Harry Dean Stanton.

MST3K: War of the Colossal Beast (1958/1991)

"Lost in the valley of the shadow of subplots."

Last edited by Space Cop; Today at 01:43 AM.
Old Today, 01:33 AM   #6660
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Assassin's Creed (2016)

"For the Creed."

A fast-and-loose adaptation of the video game franchise, focusing more on elements of the first game but set in 1492 Spain. Micheal Fassbender is forced by Marion Cotillard (of The Dark Knight Rises infamy) and Jeremy Irons (of Batman v Superman infamy) into reliving 500-year-old memories so that the not-a-myth Apple of Eden can be recovered and used to mind control all of humanity.

And starring Brendan Gleeson as Fassbender's Dad.

I found this to be a little..psychotropic at times, with Fass hallucinating on and off, seeing his dead ancestor outside of the Animus and practicing his Bruce Lee impersonation in doing so. There was also a shit-load of fog/dust/airborne particulates during the flashbacks into Andalucia, Spain, even when the city wasn't in the throes of religious civil war. There wasn't a whole lot to see of the city, which was a real loss, but hey, they have a wildly inaccurate Animus to justify the distribution of funds.

Seriously, the Animus is a complete joke. It's this big, shitty-looking mechanical crane-arm-thing that picks users up and allows them to physically reenact their ancestors' lives. The Animus chamber also uses projectors to display horribly-rendered visuals of what is being seen, despite having computers record everything anyway. This is so wildly off the mark that even people who aren't familiar with what the real Animus is like will roll their eyes. Complete waste of money (same with Cotillard, she's a goddamn plank of wood).

I did, however, really enjoy the flashbacks having Spanish-only speech, which makes sense because it's set 500 years ago, and English wasn't as well-spread for the common people and even those who would know a fair bit of English would still strongly prefer their usual tongue.

Overall a ho-hum flick that I think would have been better served if the present-day sections had been downplayed and the Animus-wasted money used to liven the Spain setting up a bit and explore those characters (there's a reason the modern parts of the games aren't the focus).

Have a couple cold brews and kill an afternoon, but otherwise hardly worth 2.5 hours.

Old Today, 01:42 AM   #6661
Space Cop
The Dandy

Clear and Present Danger (1994)

"The pickle is hot."

It (2017)

"Ain't nothing like a little fear to make a paper man crumble."

Max Dugan Returns (1983)

"How do I know you have six months to live?
-We could sit here and wait."