The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern on the Screen
FLASHCHAT

GL in Animation
View Poll Results: What did you think of the Green Lantern movie?(5 being the best & 1 being the worst)
* 2 1.28%
** 13 8.33%
*** 45 28.85%
**** 71 45.51%
***** 25 16.03%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #51
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan
 
SD80MAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectremjm View Post
It was a cool scene to see, but to the non-GL fans, they won't have a clue why he did that. There was very little, if anything, in the movie to suggest Sinestro was going to go bad. So they probably should have hinted at it more if they were going to include that scene in the movie.
The crowd at the preview screening I attended had very few comic book fans there. When Sinestro put on the yellow ring, the whole audience loved it, and no one was surprised. So yeah, even the non-GL folk saw it coming.
__________________
The last fan of 1990s comics
Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe
SD80MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:57 PM   #52
Spectremjm
Corps Honor Guard
 
Spectremjm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hopewell Junction, NY
Posts: 1,197
Send a message via Yahoo to Spectremjm
Default

I just mean there should be something on the screen to help you "see" it coming. Other than his name being Sinestro. LOL But that might be enough.
__________________
"My mind is deluged with thoughts of Heaven and Hell,
Crime and Punishment, Damnation and Redemption. Hal
Jordan... And The Spectre.

I'm dead, yet I live. I have no identity. Yet I know
who I am. And once again I've been given power enough
to change the world. This time, Lord...
Let me be worthy."
Spectremjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #53
Superlantern
mmmm Beer!
 
Superlantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Deltona, FL
Posts: 5,340
Default

Him finding out that the guardians thought fear was more powerful and the look on his face the when he got the yellow ring was the setup for the ending
Superlantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #54
Spectremjm
Corps Honor Guard
 
Spectremjm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hopewell Junction, NY
Posts: 1,197
Send a message via Yahoo to Spectremjm
Default

I suppose. I think it still might be too vague for non fans. But yes, the power of fear and the fact that the Guardians kept all of that from the Corps, and more importantly, him.
__________________
"My mind is deluged with thoughts of Heaven and Hell,
Crime and Punishment, Damnation and Redemption. Hal
Jordan... And The Spectre.

I'm dead, yet I live. I have no identity. Yet I know
who I am. And once again I've been given power enough
to change the world. This time, Lord...
Let me be worthy."
Spectremjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #55
Romidar
Kyle's Nude Model
 
Romidar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 29
Default

Whoops, should have posted this here instead of the movie news thread - sorry about that!

My wife and I went to the midnight showing last night in Binghamton, NY - both of us wearing GL shirts (she borrowed one of mine). She's not a Green Lantern fan, but knows the character well because I am. ;-) She reads some comics (mostly non-super hero, like Walking Dead, The Sword, etc.), and has enjoyed plenty of superhero movies (Thor, Dark Knight Returns, Iron Man, even Daredevil). Just to give you an idea where she's coming from; if you look at my previous threads you can see that I'm a huge GL fan, particularly of Hal.

First, there was a good turnout - the 3D version (which we saw) was about half full, which is pretty good for midnight in this area. A LOT of people wearing Green Lantern shirts, hats, masks, rings, etc. which was cool to see.

I never had high expectations and the critical reviews really reduced those that I had - but I had a good time. I wasn't bothered by the liberties they took with the canon - I don't expect a literal retelling for these things AT ALL. I felt like I was seeing Green Lantern on the big screen - the scenes on Oa were great; it's just too bad they felt so rushed. The pacing of the movie was poor - it would start to kick into high gear and then come to a screeching halt. I really felt the movie was trying to be too many things at once (space opera, rom-com, daddy-issues, etc. etc.).

I thought Mark Strong as Sinestro was just outstanding - best performance in the entire movie in my opinion. I actually like Ryan Reynolds, but don't feel that he was well suited for this role - felt to me that they were using his appeal to draw in female viewers that never would have seen the movie otherwise. Blake Lively was just OK, though I don't think she had a lot to work with. I think I was most disappointed with Saarsgard as Hector Hammon - I've seen im in plenty of things and liked him (Jarhead, Kinsey, etc.) but the character/actor just didn't work for me (maybe it was all the screaming he did).

That being said, my wife really didn't like it - thought it was on par or worse than Wolverine or the Ed Norton Hulk (which neither of us cared for), definitely worse than X-Men First Class and Thor. She thought (and I don't disagree) the Thor was better in terms of acting, pacing and humor.

Bottom line is that I think most people who are already fans of GL will actually enjoy most of the movie - if nothing else, the scenes on Oa made it worth seeing for me. If you're not already a GL fan, I can't imagine you'd get much out of the movie - it was just a major hodgepodge of ideas. I'm happy that it wasn't bad enough that it detracted from my love of the character but saddened that it probably won't create any new fans (I'm afraid most of the movie will be too boring for kids).

Just for the heck of it, here's my list of top 15 superhero movies in terms of how much I enjoyed them, not based on "quality" or "what the general public might think:"

1 Dark Knight Returns
2 Iron Man
3 X-Men 2
4 Batman Begins
5 Thor
6 X-Men
7 Superman II (Christopher Reeve)
8 Spider-Man 2
9 Kick Ass
10 Hellboy
11 Green Lantern
12 X-Men First Class
13 Blade
14 Batman (Michael Keaton)
15 Superman (Christopher Reeve)

(I actually ranked them down to #42 if anyone cares. ;-))
Romidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:52 PM   #56
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan
 
SD80MAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectremjm View Post
I just mean there should be something on the screen to help you "see" it coming.
Not going to argue there.
__________________
The last fan of 1990s comics
Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe
SD80MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:53 PM   #57
Romidar
Kyle's Nude Model
 
Romidar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
The crowd at the preview screening I attended had very few comic book fans there. When Sinestro put on the yellow ring, the whole audience loved it, and no one was surprised. So yeah, even the non-GL folk saw it coming.
Well, to be fair, his name is Sinestro... (those great Silver Age villain names!) ;-)
Romidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #58
Jeffi.Kaiser
Guy's Designated Dr
 
Jeffi.Kaiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sector 2814
Posts: 2,922
Default

Strong's body movement towards the yellow ring was enough for my friends who hadnt read the comics. They all started asking me when the yellow ring was shown if Sinestro was going evil and taking that after the way he acted towards Hal saying they could beat Parallax without it.
__________________
Jeffi.Kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:56 PM   #59
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master
 
JohnnyV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lexington, KY (gay mayor, biatches)
Posts: 13,805
Blog Entries: 4
Default

Overall Score - 2.8/5

What I Liked: Ryan Reynolds as Hal, Blake Lively as Carol Ferris, Mark Strong as Sinestro, The Guardians, The Constructs, Martin Campbell Directing, Action Scenes, The first 15-20 minutes.

What was 'meh': Michael Clarke Duncan as Kilowog, the middle part of the movie, Tim Robbins as Senator Hammond, Angela Bassett as Amanda Waller, the setup for the sequel

What I didn't like: Peter Sarsgaard as Hector Hammond, the writing, plot progression, highly disjointed scene cuts, Parallax, the 'originitess', fucking Tom, Hal's eyeballs when he has the mask on.

Before going any further, let me just say that I really had fun watching Green Lantern. Is it going to win any Academy Awards? No. Is it even a great comic book movie? No. Will the structure of the movie present a movie enjoyable by kids under the age of 12? Absolutely.

To me the greatest aspect of this movie is how much kids are going to enjoy it. And in turn have a younger generation growing up Green Lantern fans. In fact, I think this movie above all others I've seen this year is more geared towards children than any other. Having this label comes with a lot of positives and a lot of negatives.

First, kudos to Martin Campbell for taking what is basically a piece of shit script and making it so that the compelling moments and scenes carry enough weight to get us past all the fucking stupidity of THIS Green Lantern plot. Campbell definitely should stay on and direct the sequel (which of course will happen, because this movie will make money).

What Warner Bros. needs to do is fucking fire every single writer that had their hand in coming up with this story, and plot progression. Seriously. Go back to square one and bring someone on who knows to write a story with coherency. While the ADD nature of children won't mind the quick scene transitions, and massive amount of story diversions, as an adult it leaves you with the "what the fuck did I just witness" sort of feeling. Especially with the setup for the sequel. If I were someone who had zero knowledge of Green Lantern lore, I'd be confused as to why Sinestro wanted to put the ring on. During the scene when Hal is arguing not to use fear, Sinestro doesn't even put up a fight or act as though he even wants to put the yellow ring on. He shakes Hal's hand and wishes him luck, and then saves him after defeating Parallax. There's no build-up to the eventual turn of Sinestro. Just the creation of the ring, and Sinestro getting the idea to put it on at the end.

Along with Campbell, the franchise has a strong group of actors and actresses to present compelling characters we care about. Ryan Reynolds did a pitch perfect job with the character; one can only hope he's giving more to work with come sequel time. Blake Lively played of Reynolds really well, and gave Carol Ferris her own sense of identity and someone we could cheer for right alongside Hal. Mark Strong as Sinestro was great, but extremely under-used.

The weakest link of the performances was Peter Sarsgaard as Hammond, who just didn't do it for me his portrayal of Hammond. His turn as Hammond came off more as cheesy than creepy or dastardly. Luckily, he dies

My final thought of the movie is that I really hope filmmakers learn that taking intriguing villains in either comics, or any other form of written work don't have to become BIG FUCKING CLOUDS! It didn't work for Galactus, and it certainly didn't make the movie better to make Paralax a big cloud of space dust.

I would highly recommend this movie with those who are younger, or who know how to let the kid in them enjoy a movie. There's a stable movie here from which to build a franchise off of. I just hope WB learns that having a capable writing staff is just as important than any other part of a movie, even a big blockbuster like Green Lantern. If we're given a better story and plot progression for the obvious Sinestro Corps War sequel, we might be provided greatness.

Oh yea, and don't put fucking Tom in the sequels. Thanks.
__________________


Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:56 PM   #60
TheGoatLantern
Beta-Lantern
 
TheGoatLantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chandler, Az
Posts: 4,089
Blog Entries: 1
Default

I'm shocked that they didn't refer to him as Thaal. Ever.
__________________


She blinded me with SCIENCE!
TheGoatLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #61
TheGoatLantern
Beta-Lantern
 
TheGoatLantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chandler, Az
Posts: 4,089
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
Overall Score - 2.8/5

What I Liked: Ryan Reynolds as Hal, Blake Lively as Carol Ferris, Mark Strong as Sinestro, The Guardians, The Constructs, Martin Campbell Directing, Action Scenes, The first 15-20 minutes.

What was 'meh': Michael Clarke Duncan as Kilowog, the middle part of the movie, Tim Robbins as Senator Hammond, Angela Bassett as Amanda Waller, the setup for the sequel

What I didn't like: Peter Sarsgaard as Hector Hammond, the writing, plot progression, highly disjointed scene cuts, Parallax, the 'originitess', fucking Tom, Hal's eyeballs when he has the mask on.

Before going any further, let me just say that I really had fun watching Green Lantern. Is it going to win any Academy Awards? No. Is it even a great comic book movie? No. Will the structure of the movie present a movie enjoyable by kids under the age of 12? Absolutely.

To me the greatest aspect of this movie is how much kids are going to enjoy it. And in turn have a younger generation growing up Green Lantern fans. In fact, I think this movie above all others I've seen this year is more geared towards children than any other. Having this label comes with a lot of positives and a lot of negatives.

First, kudos to Martin Campbell for taking what is basically a piece of shit script and making it so that the compelling moments and scenes carry enough weight to get us past all the fucking stupidity of THIS Green Lantern plot. Campbell definitely should stay on and direct the sequel (which of course will happen, because this movie will make money).

What Warner Bros. needs to do is fucking fire every single writer that had their hand in coming up with this story, and plot progression. Seriously. Go back to square one and bring someone on who knows to write a story with coherency. While the ADD nature of children won't mind the quick scene transitions, and massive amount of story diversions, as an adult it leaves you with the "what the fuck did I just witness" sort of feeling. Especially with the setup for the sequel. If I were someone who had zero knowledge of Green Lantern lore, I'd be confused as to why Sinestro wanted to put the ring on. During the scene when Hal is arguing not to use fear, Sinestro doesn't even put up a fight or act as though he even wants to put the yellow ring on. He shakes Hal's hand and wishes him luck, and then saves him after defeating Parallax. There's no build-up to the eventual turn of Sinestro. Just the creation of the ring, and Sinestro getting the idea to put it on at the end.

Along with Campbell, the franchise has a strong group of actors and actresses to present compelling characters we care about. Ryan Reynolds did a pitch perfect job with the character; one can only hope he's giving more to work with come sequel time. Blake Lively played of Reynolds really well, and gave Carol Ferris her own sense of identity and someone we could cheer for right alongside Hal. Mark Strong as Sinestro was great, but extremely under-used.

The weakest link of the performances was Peter Sarsgaard as Hammond, who just didn't do it for me his portrayal of Hammond. His turn as Hammond came off more as cheesy than creepy or dastardly. Luckily, he dies

My final thought of the movie is that I really hope filmmakers learn that taking intriguing villains in either comics, or any other form of written work don't have to become BIG FUCKING CLOUDS! It didn't work for Galactus, and it certainly didn't make the movie better to make Paralax a big cloud of space dust.

I would highly recommend this movie with those who are younger, or who know how to let the kid in them enjoy a movie. There's a stable movie here from which to build a franchise off of. I just hope WB learns that having a capable writing staff is just as important than any other part of a movie, even a big blockbuster like Green Lantern. If we're given a better story and plot progression for the obvious Sinestro Corps War sequel, we might be provided greatness.

Oh yea, and don't put fucking Tom in the sequels. Thanks.
Well put Johnny. I feel the same way and I know that this movie made GL fans out of my 2 boys...
__________________


She blinded me with SCIENCE!
TheGoatLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #62
Godmera
Champion of the World
 
Godmera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Medford NY
Posts: 5,500
Blog Entries: 2
Send a message via AIM to Godmera Send a message via Yahoo to Godmera
Default My review no spoilers.

http://thebrightestday.blogspot.com/...-of-green.html
Godmera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #63
fightoned
Manhunter Repairman
 
fightoned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 311
Default

Haven't had a chance to read all these posts yet but I thought it was GREAT!!! It is a Green Lantern Movie! Something I never thought would happen. I'll post more some other day. Bring on the sequel and Sinestro!
fightoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:37 PM   #64
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan
 
SD80MAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoatLantern View Post
I'm shocked that they didn't refer to him as Thaal.
I'm not. The average joe would confuse "Hal" and "Thaal" very easily.
__________________
The last fan of 1990s comics
Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe
SD80MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:05 PM   #65
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master
 
JohnnyV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lexington, KY (gay mayor, biatches)
Posts: 13,805
Blog Entries: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
I'm not. The average joe would confuse "Hal" and "Thaal" very easily.
How would anyone confused those two? One starts with the T, and the other a H. Not that it's a big deal that his first name wasn't used.
__________________


Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:12 PM   #66
TheGoatLantern
Beta-Lantern
 
TheGoatLantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chandler, Az
Posts: 4,089
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
I'm not. The average joe would confuse "Hal" and "Thaal" very easily.
Thaal= Th-All

Hal= H-al

They sound different.
__________________


She blinded me with SCIENCE!
TheGoatLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:24 PM   #67
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu
 
Darth_Andrea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tied Upside Down In A Rubber Room
Posts: 4,691
Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea
Default

I'm sorry I don't know what you guys are on about. I loved this movie in my rankings the only 2 super hero movies I would rank higher are Chris Reeves 1st Superman, and the 1st Ironman movie.

I loved every minute of it. If they had included more of the corps I would have loved that. However as a origin movie it had to focus on Hal. The only 2 complaints I have with this movies are these.

They shouldn't have killed Hammond. In the 1st draft script that was floating around that I read at the end he was beaten and imprisoned. I would have preferred this as Super Hero movies have taken to killing their villains preventing any chance at a reprisal later.

And I found Amanda Wallers inclusion in the movie useless. Her presence was pointless other than making reference to the larger DCU and only Dc Fans will know who she is. They should have Kept "Pipe" or Alan Scott as we find out later (again from the 1st draft script) Who had much more to do in the movie and a larger presence than Waller did and would have been better at it.


Those are my only problems with this movie. It was a fun adventure a great origin and for the knowledgeable fan it had a lot of easter eggs scattered though out.

I give it a 9 of 10 Go See This, A LOT !!!

















Darth_Andrea
__________________
Darth_Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:31 PM   #68
Raker616
Corps Honor Guard
 
Raker616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Green Lantern Station
Posts: 1,443
Default

I already gave put most of my thoughts on the movie in the other thread but I just wanted to add somethings. First I can't remember how many times I cracked a smile and thought holy shit at a scene or construct it had to be some sort of record for me. Seeing Hal and the GLC on the big screen and having it done right really just gave me a sense of being proud and seeing and hearing people in the theater along side me really digging everything that was going was beyond great. Regardless of how it does i'm very happy with how the Green Lantern movie turned out and I give high marks to all those involved. Because I got to see a badass Green Lantern movie something I honestly never thought would happen, I hope all GL fans can enjoy it much as I did.
Raker616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:48 PM   #69
Zander Yurami
Fear is Power
 
Zander Yurami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 1,828
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Both the 3D and normal films were packed at the theater I went to at midnight. My group split into 2 with half going into the 3d and my half into the normal viewing. I dont think I have ever seen so many GL shirts in my life! There where a few Black lantern shirts, and a few other corps, but i was the only one wearing yellow...but I was in full Sin Corps costume. XD

Movie was great. Everyone laughed, everyone cheered, not one person got up till the credits where over. And during Hal speaking the oath for the 1st time, well...we could hear the people in the 3D showing saying it while we were. XD


I loved this movie, and cant wait for the 2nd
__________________
Zander Yurami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #70
General grievous
Star Sapphire's Love Slave
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 382
Default

Everyone here knows I really enjoyed the movie and will see it again.

I still can't get over the fact that we only got a taste of the other GL's and 20 minutes of OA.
__________________
Back away, I will deal with this jedi scum myself.
you fool! I have being trained in your jedi arts by count dooku!

General grievous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #71
Jack T. Chance
Really knows where his towel is!
 
Jack T. Chance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Planet Garnet, AKA "Hellhole", Space Sector 0017
Posts: 2,032
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoatLantern View Post
I'm shocked that they didn't refer to him as Thaal. Ever.
I fucking LOVED THAT!!! That was THE stupidest thing in the entire first draft of the script! For fucking 50 YEARS he was just "Sinestro" and that was okay. Then all of a sudden, some Hollywood script writer decides he needs a first name. Pfft!

I'm actually mad that the current creators of the comic stories worked that bullshit into comic continuity.
__________________
Jack T. Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:15 PM   #72
My Soul Corrupted
Major Force's Dinner Date
 
My Soul Corrupted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 94
Default

I'll just give my grade for now: C+. I did get to see it in 3D at the "Digital Extreme" theater and it looked great.

I hope everyone got to see the scene in the middle of the credits.
__________________
Orbis terrarum Est Non Satis, tamen boobs es satis mihi
My Soul Corrupted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:49 PM   #73
ek79
Sinestro's Sparring Partner
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 122
Default

Someone please post the detailed movie (almost a scene by scene if you can) for me (or PM). I do not care about spoilers.
ek79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:09 PM   #74
Blue Lantern Jester
Kyle's Nude Model
 
Blue Lantern Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 28
Default

i really liked the movie the people saying X3 and wolverine are better than green lantern i just don't get that at all
__________________
Blue Lantern Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:29 PM   #75
VeesFistOfDeath
Green Lantern
 
VeesFistOfDeath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kent, Ohio
Posts: 688
Default

I enjoyed it, my girl enjoyed it. Some things I wish were explored a little more. But it was pretty awesome.
VeesFistOfDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.