Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Kyle Hook Up With Carol?!? He does.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
    Speaking of which has anyone read Green Lantern: Evil's Might?
    Is that the Elseworlds tale where Alan Scott and Kyle Rayner are Irish immigrants in olde New York?

Comment

Yeah and Carol Ferris falls for Kyle Rayner!

Comment

Let's just go for "no" on this one. Short lived shock value for the sake of just isn't good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kid Lantern View Post
          If it takes sleeping with Carol to get Kyle and Hal in the same book without the rest of the Corps so be it.

~KL~
          You know how they are both members of the same peacekeeping force with the same home planet in the same country. Would that not be reason enough to have them team up? Just a thought.
          Goodbye Christopher Hitchins 1949 - 2011

Comment

I'd be all for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
              I'd be all for this.
              Why? I'd like to see better justification than getting Hal and Kyle to interact.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kid Lantern View Post
                Hal and Kyle haven't done anything as a tag-team in the same sense that Hal's teamed with John and Guy
                ~KL~
                While looking over the thread, this made me LOL hard.

As Eric Young would day I Love Tag Teaming.

Comment

Worst idea since Greedo shooting first. Then again Kyle is always getting Hal's sloppy seconds anyway.

www.gothamsfinest.org

Comment

Originally posted by Bolerathon View Post
                    It would be artificial shock value dross.
                    Really? I don't think so at all. I mean, yes, I would be surprised, but only because Carol is almost as much a part of Hal's character as Alex is a part of Kyle's. The only thing that's artificial is the unwritten rule that superheroes can't date each other's primary love interests!

I would actually be impressed if Kyle and Carol were allowed to have a relationship. It would be a genuinely bold move, unlike other recent "shocking" plot twists such as the "new GL of Sector 2814."

Originally posted by hypotherion View Post
                    Why? I'd like to see better justification than getting Hal and Kyle to interact.
                    Because it would make for a far more interesting character story than anything we've seen in several years. I have never really bought into Kyle's relationship with Sora; that's the relationship that seems artificial and forced to me. There have been moments when I almost believe it, but they've been short lived.

As for Kyle and Carol, Carol expressed pretty strongly in Brightest Day that she's done with Hal, and that she no longer even thinks that what they had was "true love." And Hal supposedly has a girlfriend anyway.

So why wouldn't Carol eventually be looking for someone else? And why couldn't that someone else be Kyle? Kyle is very different from Hal in key ways that could make him attractive to Carol, given the nature of her frustrations with Hal. And if they're on this team together, literally the only human beings within light years of each other, I don't think it would be artificial at all. In fact, it could potentially be much more natural than Kyle's relationship with Sora.

I do think that it would put a monster sized twist in the friendship between Hal and Kyle. But I also think that the characters' history with Hal would make the relationship between Kyle and Carol more interesting. I don't personally have a problem with relational drama in comic books the way some people do; I actually like it. This could create a lot of interesting drama--not between Kyle and Hal, but between Kyle and Carol. I'd like to see how they would deal with the fact that Hal is Carol's ex.

But even if you ignore that obvious drama, Kyle and Carol have very different perspectives when it comes to Hal. Kyle has spent much of his career living up to Hal's example or striving to get out of his shadow. Carol has been Hal's lover, yes, but also his superior and his rival. With or without romantic involvement, I would be interested in seeing how that plays out in their relationship.

Comment

Not to get off topic but Cowgirl is a terrible love interest!
                      Mister.Weirdo
                      Guardian of the Universe
                      Last edited by Mister.Weirdo; 07-15-2011, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Yes. Yes, she is.

Comment

Originally posted by Vaegrin View Post
                          And if they're on this team together, literally the only human beings within light years of each other
                          That's part of the problem. We have no idea how they react to each other and yet a pairing is already being proposed. Why? Just because they are the only two humans and are of the opposite sex doesn't mean there has to be a love story in there. There is plenty of life in an idea of functioning as team mates or as part of an un-easy alliance.

Carol has spent years being the love part of Green Lantern to the point where they retrofitted her identity as Star Sapphire with some ill defined love powers. How can you take Carol seriously if every story she's in involved in is spent clinging to a man? Kyle has already had 3 romantic relationships form defining points in his life and his career. Why go back to that? They've done it 3 times already.

I say enough of the constant romantic baggage with Kyle and Carol and let them engage in a different story and a different dynamic.
                          Goodbye Christopher Hitchins 1949 - 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Vaegrin View Post
                            Because it would make for a far more interesting character story than anything we've seen in several years. I have never really bought into Kyle's relationship with Sora; that's the relationship that seems artificial and forced to me. There have been moments when I almost believe it, but they've been short lived.

As for Kyle and Carol, Carol expressed pretty strongly in Brightest Day that she's done with Hal, and that she no longer even thinks that what they had was "true love." And Hal supposedly has a girlfriend anyway.

So why wouldn't Carol eventually be looking for someone else? And why couldn't that someone else be Kyle? Kyle is very different from Hal in key ways that could make him attractive to Carol, given the nature of her frustrations with Hal. And if they're on this team together, literally the only human beings within light years of each other, I don't think it would be artificial at all. In fact, it could potentially be much more natural than Kyle's relationship with Sora.

I do think that it would put a monster sized twist in the friendship between Hal and Kyle. But I also think that the characters' history with Hal would make the relationship between Kyle and Carol more interesting. I don't personally have a problem with relational drama in comic books the way some people do; I actually like it. This could create a lot of interesting drama--not between Kyle and Hal, but between Kyle and Carol. I'd like to see how they would deal with the fact that Hal is Carol's ex.

But even if you ignore that obvious drama, Kyle and Carol have very different perspectives when it comes to Hal. Kyle has spent much of his career living up to Hal's example or striving to get out of his shadow. Carol has been Hal's lover, yes, but also his superior and his rival. With or without romantic involvement, I would be interested in seeing how that plays out in their relationship.
                            But I think you're making an assumption that DC would do the relationship right and make it feel genuine which I just don't see them doing. I think Carol is so tied to Hal that any type of romantic entanglement between her and Kyle would just be done for the shock value and would obviously be short term. Basically I think we'd end up with something just as artificial if not more than Kyle's current relationship with Natu all for some drama between Kyle and Hal...not worth it imo.

Cosigned. When was the last time she was even in an issue?

Originally posted by Bolerathon View Post
                            I say enough of the constant romantic baggage with Kyle and Carol and let them engage in a different story and a different dynamic.
                            +1 on this. I think you can develop an interesting dynamic between them without having them be romantically involved.

Comment

No

1) Carol is Hal's woman.

2) I don't want Carol to die.

Comment

Originally posted by hypotherion View Post
                                +1 on this. I think you can develop an interesting dynamic between them without having them be romantically involved.
                                Oh, I agree. I'm not saying it has to happen, or that it should happen, or even that it's likely to happen. I'm just saying that if it does happen, it has a lot of potential if written well. And I don't know whether Tony Bedard has been writing Kyle long enough to earn an expectation that he would write it badly.

I can certainly understand wanting Kyle to stay with Sora, or wanting him to be single. But in the event that neither of things happen, I can easily imagine some great stories coming out of a relationship with Carol.

Comment

Working...
                                X