Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Telos #5 a big disappointment (spoilers/review)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telos #5 a big disappointment (spoilers/review)

I went to my LCBS today 2/10/16 for the express reason of reading Telos #5. I have, as evidenced by multiple posts in various threads, been hoping that there a master plan behind this Rebirth FCBD issue. I saw the Clark and Lois book, and the return of Parallax Hal as signs of something significant on the horizon and I was hoping Telos #5 would be further evidence of that.

Well got off for lunch at the job drove over picked it up and ...was utterly disappointed. Even during the Kyle years I was of the opinion that written correctly Parallax could be a deep complex character. Well in Telos #5 Hal is nothing more than a one note villain indiscriminately killing with no remorse. He too was present at the first big battle with Darkseid with the new 52 JLA. Just like Superman of Earth-1 (I wonder if they saw each other?). He however seeing a younger version of himself was tempted to kill him and would have if not for new 52 Carol. Very one note, "must restore Coast City" might as well give him a Snidley Whiplash mustache. Then again one should never take too great of an offense with how a character is portrayed in another characters book. I remember being pissed at how Hal was portrayed in All Star Batman and Robin but in the end it was a Bat book so who really cares? I just hope that more thought is given to Parallax character development and motivation in GL #50 (and beyond) than it was in this Telos issue. Who knows maybe they will blame it all on the yellow bug and I will get the Parallax Hal I want after the bug is dealt with; but my confidence/excitement about everything DC related took a hit today.

I'm sure you put more thought into the comic before you read it than the writer and editor did before making it.

Absolutely sure of it.

Comment

Originally posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
      I went to my LCBS today 2/10/16 for the express reason of reading Telos #5. I have, as evidenced by multiple posts in various threads, been hoping that there a master plan behind this Rebirth FCBD issue. I saw the Clark and Lois book, and the return of Parallax Hal as signs of something significant on the horizon and I was hoping Telos #5 would be further evidence of that.
      Man, the fact that it was being written by Jeff King should've told you that nothing of significance was gunna happen in this issue.

Comment

It's the way he's being written. Always wanting to kill, incapable of looking at anything big picture and he talks like his IQ dropped 30 points at times. Disappointing. King likes Parallax, he just really doesn't understand him.
        "My mind is deluged with thoughts of Heaven and Hell,
        Crime and Punishment, Damnation and Redemption. Hal
        Jordan... And The Spectre.

I'm dead, yet I live. I have no identity. Yet I know
        who I am. And once again I've been given power enough
        to change the world. This time, Lord...
        Let me be worthy."

Comment

The point is this Parallax Hal IS Hal, Hal pushed to far or Hal changed but Hal nonetheless. Just as brave just as driven just to another goal. That is what makes him compelling. To write him as anything less, reveals what you think of Hal period. I guess that is the genius and appeal of Johns, he views his antagonists as complex 3 dimensional characters with the appropriate motivations and not as hollow plot devices. That is what separates the writers that will be remembered from the ones that are just cashing a check. Zoom wanted to make Flash a better hero under Johns, under a hack he is another speedster at odds with the Flash just because it's cool to see Flash go against someone just as fast as he is.

Comment

I forgot to pick this up yesterday (meant to as a crossover), but this isn't selling me on it.

Comment

I know all characters are plot devices in a work of fiction, but the better writers make them more than that. This is why the readers bond with, invest in and follow the characters. Space cop based on that issue alone I can't recommend it, however I still find it strange that after years not being used, Parallax Hal shows up in two different books simultaneously and it is just a coincidence. Then again maybe that is me just being too optimistic, that there is a higher intelligence at work.

Comment

Originally posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
                The point is this Parallax Hal IS Hal, Hal pushed to far or Hal changed but Hal nonetheless. Just as brave just as driven just to another goal. That is what makes him compelling. To write him as anything less, reveals what you think of Hal period. I guess that is the genius and appeal of Johns, he views his antagonists as complex 3 dimensional characters with the appropriate motivations and not as hollow plot devices. That is what separates the writers that will be remembered from the ones that are just cashing a check. Zoom wanted to make Flash a better hero under Johns, under a hack he is another speedster at odds with the Flash just because it's cool to see Flash go against someone just as fast as he is.
                King writes Parallax like he is a petulant child, prone to temper tantrums at the drop of a hat, hurling non-creative insults all over the place, who really has no redeeming personal traits. That's not Parallax, because that was never Hal.
                "My mind is deluged with thoughts of Heaven and Hell,
                Crime and Punishment, Damnation and Redemption. Hal
                Jordan... And The Spectre.

I'm dead, yet I live. I have no identity. Yet I know
                who I am. And once again I've been given power enough
                to change the world. This time, Lord...
                Let me be worthy."

Comment

Working...
                X