No announcement yet.

White Lantern Oath?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the heck? I've got a post all typed out, and it won't let me submit it?

Maybe if I edit it into this post, it will work.

Nope.

Originally posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
    why would all the other corps recognize the arbitrary designations of space sectors? If you could make an infinite number of power rings... why limit yourself to 3600 or 7200 members of your corps?

If you had a limited number of rings that your corps could support and you had no altruistic guiding principles... why not ignore the previously established sector system and focus on more populated sectors.
    why would all the other corps recognize the arbitrary designations of space sectors? If you could make an infinite number of power rings... why limit yourself to 3600 or 7200 members of your corps?

If you had a limited number of rings that your corps could support and you had no altruistic guiding principles... why not ignore the previously established sector system and focus on more populated sectors.
    Well, again, I can see Sinestro's motivation to doing so, since he is consciously creating a mirror to the GLC. And the blues are created by Ganthet, and, ideally, function to support the GLC, so a similar sector breakdown makes sense, and I would expect them to max out at the same numbers (though they are nowhere near that yet).
    Mister Ed
    Horse of a Different Color
    Last edited by Mister Ed; 02-08-2011, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Here's the rest. It won't let me edit the above any more, even to get rid of the double quote.

But the Sapphires having the same numbers and sectors? No sense (at least, not any more- back when it was their goal to matchup with the Sector GL, then use them to encase the world in crystal, such direct correspondence DID make sense- even though the whole idea was stupid). The Indigos? Well, I'm not even sure that they do. We don't know enough about them to say for sure. But given that their role doesn't seem tied to the GLC in any way, either as support or antagonist, it would make little sense for them to have those same divisions and numbers. Orange, as we know, DOES function completely differently.

Red having the same Sectors and numbers is nonsensical (and I think it HAS been established that they do, hasn't it?) I mean, they don't patrol, and they seem more likely to swarm against their enemies than to face them one-on-one. I can't see why Atrocitus would limit his Corps if his goal is revenge. The more the merrier. THIS is the one that makes the least sense. And of course, this is the one that is getting its own ongoing title! Hopefully the writer will be able to redefine the Reds in a way that makes more sense...
      Mister Ed
      Horse of a Different Color
      Last edited by Mister Ed; 02-08-2011, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Regarding the Sinestro corps not making sense. It makes about as much sense as a force of 7200 green and black spandex dressed aliens walking around in space. If I had the trouble I could pretty much dissed the DC verse and find tons of shit tat is stupidly written and retarded.

There´s something called Suspension of Desbilief. Use sometimes.

Comment

Call me stupid, but arguing over who should have an oath or not is really a bad disagreement to indulge in. I find it rather cool that THEY ARE ALL in some way or another a form of organization of some sort. So this would make sense to have oaths for the honor of there respective clubs. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by philbova View Post
            Call me stupid, but arguing over who should have an oath or not is really a bad disagreement to indulge in. I find it rather cool that THEY ARE ALL in some way or another a form of organization of some sort. So this would make sense to have oaths for the honor of there respective clubs. Sorry if I offended anyone.
            I doubt anybody was offended.

I think, though, that what some are saying is that, as "organizations" they are all very different, and them all not only having oaths (though as far as we know Larfleeze doesn't, nor, IMHO, should he), but oaths that follow the same exact pattern, rhythm, meter, and even have the same length, is kind of goofy (and in the case of the Red Lanterns especially, is nonsensical).

Comment

Originally posted by Orion Pax View Post
              Regarding the Sinestro corps not making sense. It makes about as much sense as a force of 7200 green and black spandex dressed aliens walking around in space. If I had the trouble I could pretty much dissed the DC verse and find tons of shit tat is stupidly written and retarded.

There´s something called Suspension of Desbilief. Use sometimes.
              No. It doesn't.

The Green Lantern Corps have a Mission Statement. They have traditions, customs, protocol and purpose. They have chain of command. They have beings of unfathomable and unexplained power as figureheads and mentors.

The Sinestro Corps has..................................

Sinestro? Lots of "EPIC" and "BAD ASS" characters? What's their goal? What do they do when not on panel fighting the GLC? Why do they follow the sector designations?

The Sinestro Corps are the equivalent of zombies in a horror movie. You're not meant to wonder what they do when they're not tearing at the flesh of your protagonist because anything more than a cursory glance reveals that they make no sense.

I see your "suspension of disbelief" with my "critical thinking" and I raise you with "don't be such a dumb ass".

Comment

Originally posted by sinostrius View Post
                Are they ever going to reveal the Oath Johns promises?

Heres one from the DC boards I thought was cool.

IN BRIGHTEST DAY
                THERE WILL BE LIGHT
                TO CLEANSE THE SOUL,
                AND SET WRONGS RIGHT
                WHEN DARKNESS FALLS
                LOOK TO THE SKY
                A NEW DAWN COMES
                LET THERE BE LIGHT!
                Sounds good!!
                Bring on CHAOS, bring on MY HAPPINESS, bring on rage ..Rage ..RAGE!!!

facebook: d3v1lb0y888 ...twitter: d3v1lb0y_8 ..instagram: d3v1lb0y

Comment

The Sinestro Corps are the equivalent of zombies in a horror movie. You're not meant to wonder what they do when they're not tearing at the flesh of your protagonist because anything more than a cursory glance reveals that they make no sense.
                  No, that was the Black Lanterns. The Sinestro Corps are more like the "evil empire."
                  The last fan of 1990s comics
                  Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

Jeez.. Opinions are squashed left and right here...

WHATEVER YOU THINK IS WRONG..

I AM RIGHT!

Come on, let people have their opinions without squashing them. Just because someone thinks something is stupid does not mean that everyone HAS to agree.

You have to love the anonymity of the internet..

Regardless if we like it or not, they (being the comic creators) will continue to do things to their liking even if it does not make sense to us.

Deal with it.

My thought is this, it a comic book and in comics nothing makes sense, they are a form of entertainment.

Does EVERYTHING have to be over analyzed and scrutinized?

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Bishop View Post
                      Does EVERYTHING have to be over analyzed and scrutinized?
                      Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by myuserid View Post
                        Yes.
                        LMAO!!

Almost made me spit my water on the monitor..

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                          I doubt anybody was offended.

I think, though, that what some are saying is that, as "organizations" they are all very different, and them all not only having oaths (though as far as we know Larfleeze doesn't, nor, IMHO, should he), but oaths that follow the same exact pattern, rhythm, meter, and even have the same length, is kind of goofy (and in the case of the Red Lanterns especially, is nonsensical).
                          I kinda figured that each power core could only respond to a specific meter, so that would be why each group needed an "oath" of four lines of iambic tetrameter with a four-syllable battle cry at the end. Then I read the recently released "oath" for the orange lantern, and was a bit put off by the excessive number of syllables at first. (Then I realized that they just got greedy.) If you study the various "oaths," you'll realize that most of them are warnings, assertions, blessings, and curses, but very few (if any other than the GLC oath) could be called an oath. Then, the reason the GLC used an oath, rather than some random sequence of relatively related words, would be to help maintain commitment to the corps.
                          Of course, I hate most things DC, and I only looked into the whole thing so I could memorize all the oaths for the nerd cred, so I have no idea what I'm talking about. It just--I think that explains everything, doesn't it? And then, if we all assumed that my theory was correct, and no one found any evidence to show otherwise, this whole debate would be moot, right? Of course, I'm sure some die-hard fan is going to take offence to this post and adamantly give some profanity-filled rant explaining every single reason why I'm absolutely incorrect. Oh, well. I just needed to get this idea out there.
                          One time, I said "They should make a Green Lantern movie." Then, they did.

Comment

Originally posted by beefrocks View Post
                            I kinda figured that each power core could only respond to a specific meter, so that would be why each group needed an "oath" of four lines of iambic tetrameter with a four-syllable battle cry at the end. Then I read the recently released "oath" for the orange lantern, and was a bit put off by the excessive number of syllables at first. (Then I realized that they just got greedy.) If you study the various "oaths," you'll realize that most of them are warnings, assertions, blessings, and curses, but very few (if any other than the GLC oath) could be called an oath. Then, the reason the GLC used an oath, rather than some random sequence of relatively related words, would be to help maintain commitment to the corps.
                            Of course, I hate most things DC, and I only looked into the whole thing so I could memorize all the oaths for the nerd cred, so I have no idea what I'm talking about. It just--I think that explains everything, doesn't it? And then, if we all assumed that my theory was correct, and no one found any evidence to show otherwise, this whole debate would be moot, right? Of course, I'm sure some die-hard fan is going to take offence to this post and adamantly give some profanity-filled rant explaining every single reason why I'm absolutely incorrect. Oh, well. I just needed to get this idea out there.
                            First off, hello. Welcome to the board. Please introduce yourself at the introduction forum.

Actually, what you say is right on for the Animated Series. A recent episode confirmed that the words and meter of the various oaths were in fact crucial.

The problem for comics is that they've been inconsistent with this. Way back in the early Silver Age Hal actually made up his oath. Then, they retconned it into an ancient oath of GLC that GLs could choose to use or not. Kyle, for instance, didn't use one. However, at various times writers have suggested it is necessary to charge the battery. If that were the case, I think your explanation would be a logical one as to their similarity.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                              First off, hello. Welcome to the board. Please introduce yourself at the introduction forum.

Actually, what you say is right on for the Animated Series. A recent episode confirmed that the words and meter of the various oaths were in fact crucial.

The problem for comics is that they've been inconsistent with this. Way back in the early Silver Age Hal actually made up his oath. Then, they retconned it into an ancient oath of GLC that GLs could choose to use or not. Kyle, for instance, didn't use one. However, at various times writers have suggested it is necessary to charge the battery. If that were the case, I think your explanation would be a logical one as to their similarity.
                              Which would explain why on crisis on multiple Earths, Hal charged his ring with Alan on Alans battery and said his Oath. But yeah, I like that Johns made it all part of GL tradition. BTW, I think the Orange lantern oath is saying mine! mine! mine! over and over again. I don't think Agent Orrange needs an oath though, doesn't he have the power of the entire corps in his one ring?
                              Originally posted by IonFan
                              (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
                              Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
                              If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
                              Originally posted by Quaker
                              I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

Maybe they just made different oaths to try and do easy merchandise later. Just like when DC produced an identical lantern for sale even though the Indigio tribe do not even have traditional lanterns.

Comment

Working...
                                X