Announcement

Collapse

The point of this Forum Section

Some members are a little iffy on what should go in the Games & Humor forum section so.

Trivial games like "the person above you game" should be placed in this forum.

Humor of all kinds also belongs here, like the "Superman has a problem with kinky sex" thread.

What does not belong here would be things like video games, board games. Or humor coming directly out of comic books or discussion of books.

Boardgames and the like would go in the Action Figure and Toys section as could video games, though those could also be posted in the General Forum Section.

also any posts in this Forum Section do not count towards your post count.

Hope that helps!
See more
See less

Are you a psychopath?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
    Yes. And as Johnny pointed out there is a difference between psycho- and sociopath, but this test isn't quite nuanced enough for that.
    Indeed. Here's an article I found covering the topic.
    Oftentimes, we think of the terms “psychopath” and “sociopath” as being used interchangeably to describe people who have no conscience and act with no regard to others; in fact, the terms were once fairly interchangeable. Now, however, “psychopath” is usually used in regards to someone who has crossed the line into the criminal element, while a sociopath is of little danger to those around them. A psychopath is the more dangerous of the two, but it’s also the one you’d never suspect a person of being.

To explain it best, let’s look at what the two terms have in common. Both psychopaths and sociopaths lack a moral compass. They are generally incapable of sympathizing with the feelings of others, and lack the set of ethics that tend to keep society from dissolving into a chaotic mess where everyone only looks out for themselves. They also have a non-existent or impaired sense of disgust, meaning they are able to look at things that would make another person turn away.

Now, for the differences and an important disclaimer. There are a lot of times “usually” and “often” are mentioned in comparing the two personality types. This is because there’s no perfect, cookie-cutter diagnosis, and not everyone will fall neatly into the categories they are actually put in. Although constantly progressing, psychology still does have a lot of grey areas.

With that said, we still need definitions. The term “psychopath” is usually used to describe a person that has crossed the line of moral behavior in a society. They’re the murderers, the school shooters, the manipulative cult leaders. They’re the ones mutilating animals just to see what happens. They’re also the ones that society views as a danger to others. On the other hand, a person is deemed a sociopath when they have the lack of emotion and ability to relate to others, but aren’t a threat to society. While they’re not as dangerous, they can still be destructive in a smaller, personal setting such as in friendships, romantic relationships, or in a family. But they’re generally not going to go on a killing spree.

Another big difference between the two is how they’re created. Recently, psychologists have begun to differentiate these processes. A psychopath is always a psychopath; genetic traits or chemical makeup causes the person to lack the ethics and empathy most of us have. Signs that something is not quite right with the person are generally visible from a very young age. A sociopath, however, often becomes one as a product of his or her upbringing. Environmental factors such as abuse or a cold, difficult childhood can cause a person to emotionally shut down and gradually devolve into sociopathy.

Interestingly, studies on the brain waves of the psychopath has indicated that there is a marked difference in how their brains react to certain stimuli. Because they have no feeling and no concern for others or themselves, the threat of fear does not trigger the same response in the brain of a psychopath that it does in another person. This suggests that there is something in the chemical or genetic makeup of the person that makes them what they are; it isn’t necessarily a choice they’ve made.

Typically, the psychopath is the one that you’ll have no idea is hiding behind the face he shows to people every day. The psychopath is well-spoken and charismatic, and even though he can have a cold-hearted and callous edge, he makes up for it in the next sentence. The sociopath lets a little more of his inner self come through; often he is disorganized, abrupt in his speech, easily annoyed, and quick to show his temper. He’s the one less likely to kill you, and the one you’re also less likely to want to invite to a party.

To sum up, both can be the man next door—the difference is in what will eventually come out of the front door. While psychopaths are typically inherently dangerous, a sociopath can live next door to you in a perhaps strange and uncomfortable family situation that is ultimately harmless. A sociopath may show a number of traits that make them unpleasant to be around—such as pathological lying, a lack of empathy, and overwhelming selfishness, but they probably don’t have anyone chained up in their soundproof basement. A sociopath might even find fulfillment in a family life, although it might look non-traditional and one-sided to outsiders. In fact, some sociopaths are able to connect to one or two people on something of an emotional level, leaving the rest of humanity to fend for itself against their destructive behavior. If a sociopath does damage to those around them, it’s usually emotional. The damage a psychopath does can be both, but neither will care.
    Originally posted by IonFan
    (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
    Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
    If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
    Originally posted by Quaker
    I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

Originally posted by DOOM View Post
      6%.

But make no mistake-if I caught someone willfully causing an animal pain, I would hurt them. HURT THEM BAD. To the point I might get charges pressed against me. I'm kinda like the Hulk that way.
      I'm kind of disappointed, I expected Doom to be at least 91% psychotic.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Comment

Doom is all talk, he's not really the evil master we though we knew and loved after all!
        + YouTube Video
        ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
        If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.

Comment

It's much more likely that a psychopath will become a con artist than kill people. Think Kevin Trudeau.

Comment

Indeed. In the documentary it said that the of with the highest percentage of psychopaths or high ranking people on the spectrum are in fact bankers, I think salesperson and surgeon were also on the top five list.

Comment

39%

Though your conscience is in the right place you also have a pragmatic streak and generally aren’t afraid to do your own dirty work! You’re no shrinking violet - but no daredevil either. You generally have little trouble seeing things from another person’s perspective but, at the same time, are no pushover. ‘Everything in moderation – including moderation’ might sum up your approach to life.

~KL~

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                Really, this test is bogus. Obviously the best way to test if you are a psychopath is to murder someone and then the next day measure your regret on a scale of 1 to 10. IIRC that's what they recommended in psychology 101 in college.
                They recommended that you go out and murder someone, and then suggested that you measure your remorse? Now, that's funny!

How about this- This (kind of graphic) video shows a guy torturing a yellowjacket. Using the same scale as the test we all took, how disgusting and reprehensible is this act?

+ YouTube Video
                ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyV View Post
                  I'm kind of disappointed, I expected Doom to be at least 91% psychotic.
                  Originally posted by Deadpool View Post
                  Doom is all talk, he's not really the evil master we though we knew and loved after all!
                  + YouTube Video
                  Fuck with my pets (which are my kids basically) and I will show you how psychotic I can be. Doom'll cut a bitch.

Comment

Originally posted by DOOM View Post
                    Fuck with my pets (which are my kids basically) and I will show you how psychotic I can be. Doom'll cut a bitch.
                    Well technically hurting out of compassion for something else isn't psychotic at all, hurting for the thrill of it and not caring afterwards is psychotic, but if you hurt someone out of vengeance of that person hurting something you care about that doesn't make you psychotic.

Comment

Ok so I took the test again. This time I scored 36% so I scored 9% less than last time.

"Though your conscience is in the right place you also have a pragmatic streak and generally aren’t afraid to do your own dirty work! You’re no shrinking violet - but no daredevil either. You generally have little trouble seeing things from another person’s perspective but, at the same time, are no pushover. ‘Everything in moderation – including moderation’ might sum up your approach to life."

My friend though got 82%, so that's really high.

Comment

Yo.

45% :/

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
                        Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

45%.

Comment

Re-took this test out of interest, this time I got 42%, which is basically in the middle of my previous scored (36% 2015, 45% 2014).

Comment

I got 15%.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                                I got 15%.
                                Ditto.

Here was my result:

You are warm and empathic with a heightened awareness of social responsibility and a strong sense of conscience. You like to carefully weigh up the pros and cons of a situation before you act and are generally averse to taking risks. You are very much a ‘people person’ and dislike conflict. ‘Do unto others…’ are your watchwords. But, although you avoid hurting others, those residing at the higher end of the psychopathic spectrum might not be as considerate, so stay vigilant to avoid being hurt unnecessarily.

"People person"? Doom thinks NOT.

Comment

Working...
                                X