The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > The Green Lantern
FLASHCHAT

Old 03-05-2019, 07:25 PM   #1
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Default The Green Lantern #5 *Preview/Spoilers*

The Green Lantern #5 Preview
Writer: Grant Morrison
Artist: Liam Sharp

Old 03-05-2019, 08:21 PM   #2
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I love that cover. Almost Neal Adams-ish.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:26 PM   #3
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Another solid issue. Enjoyed all the vampire cameos.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:47 AM   #4
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
Another solid issue. Enjoyed all the vampire cameos.
Who is the Blackstar/Vampire queen's dad that Ollie killed? Is that from Final Crisis?
Old 03-09-2019, 03:43 AM   #5
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

I think it's suppose to be Starbreaker.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:41 PM   #6
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
I think it's suppose to be Starbreaker.
Ah, an even deeper dive. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:41 PM   #7
Star-Lantern
Hal's Understudy

So, about this Grant Morrison run.
People seem to like it, but it doesn't seem to be getting near the enthusiasm that the Geoff Johns run had. Why do readers feel this is the case? I'm genuinely curious. I don't have much of an informed opinion because I'm not reading this title. Was the secret to the success of the Geoff Johns run bringing back Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps from a years long absence? Grant Morrison doesn't have such an event to play off of. Is that the difference or is there more? I'm bringing this out because DC put another star writer on the title, and it doesn't seem to be reaching the influential heights that Geoff Johns' Green Lantern did, which was kinda' the biggest thing going on in its day. Or... is it just that Green Lantern never has perennially captured the audience's attention like Batman and Superman, and it's just not its time right now. That vague reason opens up plenty of other questions, but could that have something to do with it?

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 03-09-2019 at 10:47 PM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:52 PM   #8
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Lantern View Post
People seem to like it, but it doesn't seem to be getting near the enthusiasm that the Geoff Johns run had. Why do readers feel this is the case? I'm genuinely curious. I don't have much of an informed opinion because I'm not reading this title. Was the secret to the success of the Geoff Johns run bringing back Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps from a years long absence? Grant Morrison doesn't have such an event to play off of. Is that the difference or is there more? I'm bringing this out because DC put another star writer on the title, and it doesn't seem to be reaching the influential heights that Geoff Johns' Green Lantern did, which was kinda' the biggest thing going on in its day. Or... is it just that Green Lantern never has perennially captured the audience's attention like Batman and Superman, and it's just not its time right now. That vague reason opens up plenty of other questions, but could that have something to do with it?
At first people were excited because after 10 years of adamant and irrational refusal, DC finally caved and brought back the GL mythos.

And then the excitement multiplied because people thought Geoff was actually going to DO SOMETHING with the emotional spectrum.

But he never did restore the property to what it was, because he never intended to. And he ran the Corps wars into the ground.

At the time he left, Green Lantern was in decline.

That was followed by years of lackluster writing by Robert Venditti, and the company's stuffing of Baz and Cruz down everyone's throats. The property then went into an alarming downward spiral.

As to what's happening now -- I think Hal belongs on Earth, with his old supporting cast. And I think people are tired of funny-looking aliens. Hence there's not all that much excitement about the comic.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:03 PM   #9
jhpace1
Corpse Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Lantern View Post
Went to my Local Comic book Store (LCS) today, talked to the owner about DC and Green Lantern. He said TheGL #3 was sold out at his store, 70 copies sold. That's usually numbers reserved for Batman comics. Every teenager to young adult wanted TheGL#3 because of the cover of Hal Jordan vs. God. (Spoiler - it wasn't God.)

His opinion was that TheGL comic book is a steady 40 issues a month, higher than the old GL but not GL + HJatGLC. It's strictly because Morrison is a recognized name among the group buying TheGL. They're not buying TheGL as GL fans; they're Morrison fans. Which to me means as soon as Morrison moves on to another comic, this fan base will follow and drop TheGL.

The point is, people don't want to see The Most Powerful Weapon In the Universe used by a bunch of newbies. They want to see veteran GLs who know what they are doing. (In my case, veterans who got Bs or better in Physics class in college.)

As for cameos of GLs in JLA, Doomsday Clock (#9), and Titans, only complete fans (-ahem!-) even get those, the sales numbers remain steady month to month.
jhpace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:13 PM   #10
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

That is a lot of copies to move. My town is small so they are lucky to move 10 copies.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:17 PM   #11
BLACK HAND
Green Lantern Initiate

It's going to be real hard for someone to follow up Morrison's run on this; I really can't think of another writer off the top of my head that can write this in the same way and make it seem as fresh and approachable even if the story elements at play are complex. The psychedelic silver age space weirdness seems to be something Grant plays to very well with some nice deep cut references to the DC universe as a whole.
BLACK HAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:38 PM   #12
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Well that's the thing, if Morrison doesn't get to write season 2 of his story I think there's a 0% chance the next writer will continue with this direction. We'll almost certainly see a reversion to something that closely resembles the modern Johns era.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:45 AM   #13
Star-Lantern
Hal's Understudy

I'm not sure Green Lantern will revert back to Johns if Morrison doesn't continue the book. It most certainly won't stay in the current direction, but it might do something else. I think it would be a good idea to reestablish Ferris Air, Coast City, Carol, and Tom. That paradigm hasn't really happened since the 1980s.

I also think it would be a good idea to reestablish John, Guy, Kilowog, and Arisia. Throw in Salaak, a Squirrel... and... hmm... some other woman, maybe Iolande, and you have a Green Lantern Corps book. If DC would actually make the books good and actually let the characters develop in intelligent ways instead of just sending them on adventures that don't make a difference, I think those books would work. If it were me, I'd go old school with it. I'd give John back his old hair style and white gloves (like I drew him here: http://greenlantern.co/wordpress/wp-...-91-no-sig.jpg

I'd also give Guy back his bowl haircut, but make it look cool.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 03-23-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:27 AM   #14
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

At my store, Green Lantern by Morrison is consistently in the Top 10 of books we sell. It doesn't reach the heights of Doomsday Clock, Walking Dead, Batman or Uncanny X-Men, but it's ahead of all Bendis books (including both Superman books), Detective Comics (not counting #1000) and other industry heavyweights.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:44 PM   #15
BLACK HAND
Green Lantern Initiate

The formula is working; they just need to keep it chugging along with some minor adjustments here and there. I think it would be a huge mistake to revert back to the focus on the "emotional spectrum" and John's stuff again.
BLACK HAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:28 PM   #16
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Oh, absolutely. The only logical next step from here is forward.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote