The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 02-23-2019, 04:21 PM   #1
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Default Video cameras and comics stories

Not only was Jussie Smollett far behind the times in recognizing the ubiquity of video cameras, but the people who write comic book stories are too.

Imagine being a super-hero in today's world and trying to maintain a secret identity or a secret headquarters. You just couldn't do it.

Every time I go online, I see stories about criminals being caught by video cameras. I think they're the main reason that the crime rate is dropping so sharply. Criminals are driven by their desires, and they're often not very bright, but even they seem to be catching on that they're always being videotaped.

Sooner or later, comics writers will have to catch on too.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...re/2953688002/
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:20 PM   #2
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

How does Spiderman go in and out of his window all the time and still not be outed? Superman too.

As a Green Lantern you'd have to fly the opposite direction from your home and come back invisibly to lead people off your trail.

Nobody notices what direction the Batmobile travels every morning?
Old 02-23-2019, 07:34 PM   #3
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
How does Spiderman go in and out of his window all the time and still not be outed? Superman too.

As a Green Lantern you'd have to fly the opposite direction from your home and come back invisibly to lead people off your trail.

Nobody notices what direction the Batmobile travels every morning?
It makes no sense now. I said in another thread that I think the setting of comics will have to be moved back to an era before video cameras and cell phones existed.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:48 PM   #4
Space Cop
The Dandy

I know you disagree, but I think this still falls under the umbrella of suspension of disbelief. Literally, all it requires is an off-hand balloon of Supes saying "it's so much harder to go unnoticed these days." I find it hard to believe there's massive numbers of people willing to buy the many physics-defying powers Supes has but are going to stop buying that the same guy could avoid cell pix. Just watch some videos on the science of how super powers would work. Comic books are about impossible people in an impossible world; not real people in our world.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:08 PM   #5
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I know you disagree, but I think this still falls under the umbrella of suspension of disbelief. Literally, all it requires is an off-hand balloon of Supes saying "it's so much harder to go unnoticed these days." I find it hard to believe there's massive numbers of people willing to buy the many physics-defying powers Supes has but are going to stop buying that the same guy could avoid cell pix. Just watch some videos on the science of how super powers would work. Comic books are about impossible people in an impossible world; not real people in our world.
You just talked about Superman there. BUT WHAT ABOUT ALL THE OTHERS?

Sooner or later, a lightbulb will switch on over the heads of even the nerdiest of comics readers, they'll burst out in laughter, and they'll have to walk away.

What would be wrong with setting comics in a time where what happens in them is feasible? Nothing would be wrong with that.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:39 PM   #6
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

SC is right about suspending disbelief. You just have to. Most costumes reveal enough that any half decent law enforcement could track you down. Hell, Kyle doesn't even think to cover his fingertips. Hal is always seen around Ferris Aircraft and all he wears is a small facemask. Just run his description against a list of current and former employees. About 6 seconds of work. In Man of Steel Clark tells the military people that he is from Kansas. Thanks idiot, for.making their job easier. Just flip through all the yearbooks of classes in that state looking for men who would be anywhere near his age. About a few hours worth of work.

Its much easier to just let it go and accept it since we are all supending disbelief reading about a man with a magic wishing ring.

Also, this reminds me why in horror movies the best settings are always the 1970s or earlier. Before help was so easy to get.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:56 AM   #7
Star-Lantern
Hal's Understudy

It was silly from day one ever since Superman was made. All he does is take off his glasses, and maybe sometimes change his hair a tiny bit. That has always been part of the charm of the character. The audience can easily tell he's the same guy as Clark Kent, but Lois Lane, this expert investigative reporter cannot, and neither can Lex Luthor, who is like the smartest guy in the world.

The same goes for Sailor Moon. She literally looks exactly the same except for a change of clothes (which are very similar to what she wears as her secret ID), but no one knows who she is.

What's more is she has one of the most distinctive hair styles you will ever see.

I think audiences are fine with the silliness of secret identities, and even like it.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote