The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern on the Screen
FLASHCHAT

GL in Animation

Old 10-13-2011, 07:44 AM   #26
Kuhan

Send a message via ICQ to Kuhan Send a message via AIM to Kuhan Send a message via MSN to Kuhan Send a message via Yahoo to Kuhan Send a message via Skype™ to Kuhan

I so wanted that scene with Huey Lewis and the News' "The Power of Love" behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
DID ANYONE READ THE ARTICLE?!!!!!!
Kuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:23 PM   #27
TazzMission
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
a terribly cheesy climax with Hal and Carol recharging the ring by loving each other very much.
well im glad that idea got canned..

im sorry but that is complete bullshit and makes no sence so whoever did that draft should have been fired
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:56 PM   #28
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post

im sorry but that is complete bullshit and makes no sence so whoever did that draft should have been fired
Well you're in luck, because that's exactly what happened.

Last edited by Mister.Weirdo; 06-17-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:08 PM   #29
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
Well your in luck, because that's exactly what happened.
I was TRYING to find a tactful way of pointing out that rather obvious bit of info. Now I don't have to! Thanks.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:55 AM   #30
Ch'psAcorn
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Quote:

Also, I believe Hal's first use of the ring is when he cracks open a crab shell at dinner with Carol.
Ch'psAcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:00 AM   #31
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

The Power of love is a strong power.
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:34 AM   #32
myuserid
Lantern Hex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
The Power of love is a strong power.
Insightful as ever, Miss Moon.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:11 AM   #33
TazzMission
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch'psAcorn View Post
Also, I believe Hal's first use of the ring is when he cracks open a crab shell at dinner with Carol.

still complete bs imo.

reminds me of that scene when anakin uses the force to feed padme a piece of a pear in attack of the clones deleted scenes.

i find that pointless and frankly how will any of those extended scenes even fix the film?

you'd think wb would throw in some stuff to have people take notice and watch sales soar
Old 10-14-2011, 02:17 PM   #34
Space Cop
The Dandy

Really, though, if you had a power ring how long would it take for you to try to impress a girl with it?
Old 10-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #35
EmeraldGamer
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Really, though, if you had a power ring how long would it take for you to try to impress a girl with it?
HAHA!!! nice!

Old 10-14-2011, 11:26 PM   #36
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
Well your in luck, because that's exactly what happened.
Hardly. The screenwriter was paid to turn in a script and did so and got paid -- mission accomplished... how was he fired?

Here's the John Stewart in question:

There used to be a picture on Ethan's Facebook when he stopped by the set... I could have sworn there was a picture of him next to Ethan with "STEWART" on his breast camo pocket or something.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:36 PM   #37
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Hardly. The screenwriter was paid to turn in a script and did so and got paid -- mission accomplished... how was he fired?
You are right, I suppose. He wasn't "fired", because he was only hired to do one thing, not given an ongoing position. However, they also, I believe, didn't retain his services for any further writing, or make use of his work. Did the person who wrote that script get a screenwriter credit in the movie? If so, wow, that's either a very generous interpretation, or some kind of union mandated thing. If not, in THAT sense he COULD be said to have been "fired", since he was hired as a screenwriter for the movie, and wasn't in that position when the movie was completed.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:39 PM   #38
JuanMal
Fatality's Blacksmith

Quote:
so true
JuanMal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:51 PM   #39
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
You are right, I suppose. He wasn't "fired", because he was only hired to do one thing, not given an ongoing position. However, they also, I believe, didn't retain his services for any further writing, or make use of his work.
Welcome to 99% of big Hollywood movies.

And just about 99% of screenplays that get bought don't ever get made into movies. Does that mean the screenwriter was "fired" or didn't do a good job? Of course not... it's just the nature of Hollywood.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:03 AM   #40
Mister Ed

Quote:

And just about 99% of screenplays that get bought don't ever get made into movies. Does that mean the screenwriter was "fired" or didn't do a good job? Of course not... it's just the nature of Hollywood.
So the nature of Hollywood is NOT to use good scripts, even if the movie IS still getting made? Really? That's just weird. (It is a different situation if somebody writes a script, and they don't MAKE the movie. That seems to be to be less likely to reflect badly on the screenwriter, since so MANY things can keep a movie from making it to the screen.)

The fact that they didn't use his script may not mean he didn't do a "good" job (though from SOME of the stuff I saw in that draft, I'd argue he DIDN'T do that great a job. There was promise, but some really dumb stuff, too) but one HAS to believe that it at least means he didn't do a good ENOUGH job. Otherwise they would have either used it, or at least retained HIS services for the rewrite. Why wouldn't they, if they thought it was good?

Last edited by Mister Ed; 10-15-2011 at 12:05 AM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:15 AM   #41
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
So the nature of Hollywood is NOT to use good scripts, even if the movie IS still getting made? Really?
Hah! More often than not.

Reasons being, a solid script is turned in... then come the focus groups, then come the studio executives, and then come the toy companies -- I think you can imagine how this goes.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:21 AM   #42
Mister Ed

Quote:
Hah! More often than not.

Reasons being, a solid script is turned in... then come the focus groups, then come the studio executives, and then come the toy companies -- I think you can imagine how this goes.
That is so sad. This makes it all the more amazing that I manage to find several movies a year that I actually enjoy.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:43 AM   #43
Xum
Kyle's Nude Model

To be fair, the crab shell smashing was an accident... And Carol didn't even notice... But a kid in the restaurant did...

I liked the silent exchange between the kid and Hal that followed...

Xum
Xum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:10 AM   #44
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
You are right, I suppose. He wasn't "fired", because he was only hired to do one thing, not given an ongoing position. However, they also, I believe, didn't retain his services for any further writing, or make use of his work. Did the person who wrote that script get a screenwriter credit in the movie? If so, wow, that's either a very generous interpretation, or some kind of union mandated thing. If not, in THAT sense he COULD be said to have been "fired", since he was hired as a screenwriter for the movie, and wasn't in that position when the movie was completed.
I was making reference to the fact that the original screenplay (with the whole power kiss and what not) was sent in, only to get rewritten and end up with a final product that was quite different then the original that was intended to be shot. In a sense that likes Warners brothers telling Berlanti, Gunninghan and Green to go take a hike. Also remember being credited for the script doesn't always that you had involvement with the final product.
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:34 AM   #45
Space Cop
The Dandy

Guess I'll post my thoughts on the extended cut on the BD thread.

Quote:

Quote:
So the nature of Hollywood is NOT to use good scripts ... ?
I remember hearing George Romero at a convention once discussing how there was a long period (almost ten years) where he didn't make any movies. He said he spent the whole time in pre-development stuff (writing or treating scripts that never got made) and that it was frustrating as hell but he made a lot of money because that's how Hollywood is now.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #46
Jack T. Chance
Really knows where his towel is!

Location: The Planet Garnet, AKA "Hellhole", Space Sector 0017
Exclamation

Quote:
That is so sad. This makes it all the more amazing that I manage to find several movies a year that I actually enjoy.
As a real movie buff, I've known this for YEARS! It really started becoming noticeable in the 1990s, at least to me.

But if you want a REAL eye-opener in regards to this stuff, you need to read the following 2 books by David Hughes:You'll learn the behind-the-scenes stories behind lots of famous projects, including many that have still never been filmed after DECADES trapped in Development Hell!
Old 10-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #47
TazzMission
Banned

Quote:
for starters im not cocky like hal for 1.

secondly if a green ring chooses me then we all know there must be something wrong with it.

and last but not least if i was a gl i sure as hell would fly off this little blue marbel asap and live on another world
Old 10-15-2011, 05:53 PM   #48
Shaolinlantern
Parallax Host

Quote:

Here's the John Stewart in question:

There used to be a picture on Ethan's Facebook when he stopped by the set... I could have sworn there was a picture of him next to Ethan with "STEWART" on his breast camo pocket or something.
I heard that those guys from the production were deeply dissapointed that this cameo came out immediatly after it was shot. It was meant as a surprise for the fans.

And it didnīt help that Jones was giving a some interviews afterwards and being invited to conventions as "Nick Jones AKA John Stewart in the Green Lantern movie" way before the movie was released.
Not sure if WB was happy about that.

Last edited by Shaolinlantern; 10-15-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Shaolinlantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:17 PM   #49
EmeraldGamer
Green Lantern

Quote:

and last but not least if i was a gl i sure as hell would fly off this little blue marbel asap and live on another world

YESSS...ditto!!!

Old 10-16-2011, 02:40 AM   #50
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
for starters im not cocky like hal for 1.

secondly if a green ring chooses me then we all know there must be something wrong with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldGamer View Post
YESSS...ditto!!!

Actually, I probably would spend a lot of time off-earth as well (certainly wouldn't have a day job), but I thinking doing something cocky and/or to impress girls is pretty natural.