The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern on the Screen
FLASHCHAT

GL in Animation

Old 08-14-2014, 03:46 AM   #1
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Question GL Villains For Film?

If you were making a reboot GL movie and could only use one villain, who would it be and why? How would you remake them for the movie universe that will soon be connected to other DC films? Do you prefer Earth bound villains or the space oriented bunch? And who would you use in a sequel?

I would take a chance and use Legion from the Emerald Dawn days, that was originally the plan for a GL movie at some point. I think the enemy is a big enough threat that it would show why something like the GLC is needed. And before anybody gets any flashbacks of Cloudallax, the most of the film would have Legion in his giant yellow armored form. You could still have Sinestro in there, as well as folks like Tomar and Kilowog. Only the first ten to fifteen minutes of the film would be on Earth, and maybe the last five minutes of the movie. I'd also show Atrocitus somewhere on Oa being taken to a Sciencell.

The only time Earth bound villains should show up is in small doses like a villain from the beginning of the Batman: Brave and the Bold cartoon. Show Hal barely breaking a sweat against losers like Sonar and Tattooed Man at the beginning or end of a film. For a sequel to the above Emerald Dawn inspired film, I'd use Atrocitus and the Five Inversions/Empire of Tears. Show the beginning of both the Red Lanterns in the end as well as Sinestro's trial for becoming a dictator somewhere in the middle...

So, what do you guys think? Who would you use?

~KL~
Old 08-14-2014, 08:37 AM   #2
Mechinoid
Hal's Understudy

First I'd do what the Incredible Hulk did and recap the basic beginning in the opening credits.

I'd use Kanjar Ro since he's been used in other mediums. Have a first movie with him using alternative technology to command the Manhunters to try and take over different worlds, and having to bring different Lanterns to take him down. At the end Kanjar would be taken down from Hal and [mostly] Sinestro working together; and while being taken away Kanjar would mention to Sinestro that they aren't too different. The ending teaser would reveal the alternative technology came from the Qwardians.

2nd movie would have a time skip, as Hal and Sinestro have become even better buddies, and would be about the Qwardians trying to take over the universe, basically just upping the scale to a massive level. It would take Sinestro and his planet of Kurogar to fully push them back to the anti-universe, but also serves as outing Sinestro as the Dictator he is. Instead of facing trial he leaves and brings his ring to the Qwardians to modify, thinking with their technology and without having to abide to the laws of the Guardians, he could better keep order to both Universes.

3rd movie, with Sinestro leading the Qwardians [keeping the epic scale, but bringing more emotional weight as Hal has to take down Sinestro this time] it would be revealed that they are building a core lantern battery on Qward [that would mass produce yellow rings for the Qwardians and make them impossible to stop], Hal would need assistance from someone who had been to the anti-universe, and grudgingly frees Kanjar Ro from his prison and drags him along with him; this would help bring the trilogy to a full circle with Kanjar Ro helping take down the person that defeated him in the first movie.

Throughout it becomes a big question of who do you trust, as at first the Guardians were to be trusted until the knowledge of the Manhunters comes about; the 2nd movie is about Hal's most trusted friend in the corps Sinestro being somebody else the whole time; and the 3rd is Hal having to trust someone he knows is a terrible person, but it doesn't matter because the ends will justify the means.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #3
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.

I'd use the Manhunters. A Manhunter invasion of Earth maybe, or just a more generic Manhunter plot. Mind you I'd also like Sinestro, but I'm not sure whether both of the could fit in together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

I'd also use Legion. Always liked that concept.

I would never, ever use a villain connected in any way to that "emotional spectrum" nonsense. That's what brought the books down, and continues to do so. It's ridiculous. C'mon, it's not like Superman only fights Kryptonians!
Old 08-14-2014, 01:48 PM   #5
Space Cop
The Dandy

Tattooed Man ftw

Old 08-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #6
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

As a Green Lantern Guru,I would not make it fit into other stupid DC movies. My sole purpose would be to make Green Lantern work. Trying to figure out how he plays into some other stupid movie that may or may not gert made is retarded. I am selling Green Lantern to the public,Let WB worry about every body else and what Marvel is doing.

Let's Star Wars this bitch. When George Made Star Wars he started with episode 4 because he did not think it would be the mega hit it was,he took what he thought was the best story point and went with it. I say We use Sinestro. He is the biggest Villian in the GL universe. If this movie is a sucess then we can always go back and do a prequal about his fall from grace.

Marvel is sucessful because tehy don't give up. You don't like Punisher,fine here is Punisher War zone. and I am sure we will see another. You don't like Hulk? Fine here is a new one,still not quite there well here is a new guy playing him in Avengers. Dare Devil sucked? Okay we will try again. DC only has this attitude with Batman and Superman. They deserve tier failures.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:41 AM   #7
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

If I say I'd use Sinestro as leader of the Manhunters would that be cheating?? If so, then have him lead an invasion from the anti-matter universe leading the Qwardians. Movies like this can live or die on the quality of the villain and I am not sure that GL really has any villain nearly as interesting. (I considered the Anti-Monitor, but that dude has zero personality)

I would keep it space-centric (except for maybe a sequence in the beginning) as a way to keep it separate from the other DC films.... OR if Manhunters can be used, I'd have one crash on earth somehow then at the end have Lex Luthor find it and eventually use it as the basis of his armor.
Kane2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:27 AM   #8
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

The Lamplighter! GL's most dangerous foe!

Or maybe the Aerialist! Or the Crumbler!
Old 08-15-2014, 01:36 PM   #9
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Targaryen View Post
The Lamplighter! GL's most dangerous foe!

Or maybe the Aerialist! Or the Crumbler!
Old 08-15-2014, 02:37 PM   #10
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Still better than Geoff Johns villains!
Old 08-15-2014, 04:12 PM   #11
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

The Javelin!

I kind of like Deadpool's idea with a Manhunter invasion, but with the Anti-Monitor leading the charge a la GL: the Animated Series... and the Anti-Monitor can't be a damn cloud.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:01 PM   #12
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.

Sounds like a good idea actually silent. Maybe the Anti-Monitor could become a recurring villain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:10 PM   #13
CeltiC5-27
Weaponer of Qward

They would have to use SINESTRO. I know it's like the popular thing now for superhero movies to wait to introduce the hero's main villain in the sequel and the GL clearly set that up, but obviously they aren't gonna continue that story. So if and when they decide to do another Green Lantern movie they should definitely use Sinestro and his corps.

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527
CeltiC5-27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:46 PM   #14
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
FUCK YEAH!!!

That's money in the BANK right there!!!
Old 08-15-2014, 09:49 PM   #15
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
The Javelin!

What a mort of the month he was! Sadly though, I've almost pulled the trigger on more than one occasion to buy a javelin custom figure on ebay.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:46 PM   #16
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane2814 View Post
Movies like this can live or die on the quality of the villain and I am not sure that GL really has any villain nearly as interesting. [as Sinestro]
I actually take it back. I think Johns did a good job building up Black Hand and using Black Lanterns as a good way to bring in the rest of the DCU. However, DC's movie universe currently doesn't have enough dead heroes to make that scenario as dramatic as it could be.

I'd still use Sinestro but to make it a less cosmic story and a little more "down to earth," maybe have it be about Sinestro (using either the Qwardians or Manhunters) enslaving his planet and how Hal and a couple other GL's (with the help of either Katma or Soranik) defeat him. (as long it's not just a bunch of different colored ring-slingers shooting at each other in space - yawn!)
Kane2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:52 PM   #17
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane2814 View Post
I actually take it back. I think Johns did a good job building up Black Hand and using Black Lanterns as a good way to bring in the rest of the DCU. . .
And I was going to say Silver Age Black Hand. Actually, Silver Age Tattooed Man and Black Hand were my favorite villains.

No zombie necrophiliacs here!
Old 08-17-2014, 01:21 AM   #18
TazzMission
Banned

:sigh: have sinestro be like how he was from first flight. have the film open of him training hal on oa in a obiwan/ luke type relationship ( no fuckin orgin of hal). introduce a plot line where sinestro becomes the dirty cop and slowly show his down fall. introduce a villain like kinjaro to give the film a great villain.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:39 PM   #19
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Targaryen View Post
What a mort of the month he was! Sadly though, I've almost pulled the trigger on more than one occasion to buy a javelin custom figure on ebay.
Someone actually made a custom Javelin figure? LOL! Talk about obscure. They should have given him dialogue bubbles with German phrases too.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:11 AM   #20
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
Someone actually made a custom Javelin figure? LOL! Talk about obscure. They should have given him dialogue bubbles with German phrases too.
Hell, I've seen him a few times. I check for customs daily for ideas and the odd thing I still don't have. The odd part is that I keep seeing Javelins with incorrect costumes. You'd think if you were going to bother doing something that obscure, you'd at LEAST get the frigging costume right.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:55 AM   #21
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

Javelin could be re-worked to be okay. He will never be a top villian but you could make a new angle for him to play. If Dethstroke can make it on TV then there is a shot for other crappy villian as well. Let's be honest The two biggest villians in DC are a Clown and a bald evil Richie Rich. When you really stand back and look at it no concept is too strange to work.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #22
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

The only reason that Luthor and Joker are DC's two biggest villains are because they are the first and second. I'm not sure how you could re-tool Javelin to be a huge threat. I mean, all he does is throw trick javelins and his main enemy is a GL, who could squash him with ease. To make him more of a threat to GL, he would probably be revamped to have some kind of emotional power that blocks GL's ring energy.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #23
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

A number-two pencil.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:16 PM   #24
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Primus View Post
A threat to Hal Jordan AND Alan Scott!
Old 08-20-2014, 06:34 PM   #25
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
Javelin could be re-worked to be okay. He will never be a top villian but you could make a new angle for him to play. If Dethstroke can make it on TV then there is a shot for other crappy villian as well. Let's be honest The two biggest villians in DC are a Clown and a bald evil Richie Rich. When you really stand back and look at it no concept is too strange to work.
I would maybe approach not having him be a direct threat to Green Lantern. I would lose trick Javelins. I would say that he has the ability to see a target in his mind and hit it with a Javelin from just insane distances. Making him a sniper type character. You have him find out Hal's secret identity then you have drama insue. GL can't be everywhere at once so someone is gonna be unprotected. When that relization comes to him he will be afraid. and fear is the one weakness a GL has now.

Or lazy style would be just make him a Qwardian who throws qwa-bolts. I mean if any body has anti lantern weapons (wich I agree is stupid,thanks Venditti) it would be the weaponers of Qwardian who not only live for war and weapons but also have had a long grudge against GL.

All that said though. there is no reason to bring him back. I would like to see Sonar though.