What Does Marvel Need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Does Marvel Need?

It's pretty much the majority vote that the current era of Marvel Comics is to the point of obscurity. Can they make it out of this? Is it time for a line-wide reboot like DC went for? As fans, we're all gonna have our own bits and pieces we wanna see return. But in fairness, some of the newer stuff will likely still be around to some degree. What would you want from Marvel? Would you go back to square one? Could Marvel learn from DC's mistakes early on in the New52? Is there anything other than a line-wide reboot that could save the X-Men? Should the Inhumans really have as many titles as they have now that their movie has become a tv series?

There's a lot to think about. Spider-books. X-books. Avengers books and their affiliates. Then there's EVERYTHING ELSE.

At this point a line-wide reboot would be the easiest solution. I honestly thought the end of A vs X with the Phoenix returning was gonna end with a reboot.

I'd make it Reed Richard's fault. Say he didn't die in the end of Secret Wars, that he's been posing as another Reed in the Council of Reeds. He gets the power to return home and when he does something happens and BOOM. New mainstream Marvel. Unlike DC, I wouldn't jump five years into the universe. It'd be nearing the end of year one... but it's a big year.

In a line wide reboot I'd mostly focus on a F4 return, and also give Human Torch a solo series.

Restarting the X-Men, I'd begin with the founding five and a few other members including Havok, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Storm, and Syren. Make them all between the ages of 18-22. Hank McCoy would also be gay rather than Iceman.

The New Mutants would be a secondary title and include Cannonball, Multiple Man, Jubilee, Husk, Hellion, Rictor, Magik, and Cypher.

Wolverine would appear in Weapon X and be closer to his Ultimate counterpart. After he escapes and becomes the Wolverine, the program would continue trying to replicate Logan until X-23 arrives. Until then Sabretooth and others would be employed to go after Logan.

I gotta hit the sack. What do you guys and gals think Marvel needs? Next thing I'm gonna touch on is the teen heroes, New Warriors, and Spider-People...

~//V\\~

... actually, while the Avengers and Hulk stuff is fresh on my mind.

The Avengers wouldn't be around the first year, or at the very least the first 6-8 months.

Ironman would be nearing the end of his year one with the 24 karat gold suit for the first arc of his series and later the first Avengers arc.

Thor would once again be tied to a human, and Thunderstrike would show up sooner than later. Loki would be causing mischief as always.

The Hulk would be changed slightly in his origin since nobody uses the gamma bomb/Rick Jones origin anymore. I'd bring that set-up back, and make the kid Amadeus Cho.

Ant Man and Wasp could be Scott Lang and Pym's daughter to mirror the films.

Captain America would wake up in 2017!?! This time he's not the only one though.... what happens when other Marvels of decades past return to a much different world? Namor returns to find another Atlantian on his throne. The Destroyer has no living relatives and is in reckless vigilante mode cleaning up his old corner of NYC. Other golden age heroes would also return but... how did SHIELD find them frozen together? This would basically be a superhuman war during WWII frozen in time in ice. Steve Rogers would just be the first found. And you know... the Russians could find Bucky.

Falcon would also get his own series, working for SHIELD. Hawkeye would be in the supporting cast as well as Wendell Vaughn.

After the first 6-8 issues at least of those books, they'd crossover into the Avengers and that'd be the first event post reboot.

Okay... now I'm going to sleep.

~//V\\~

Comment

Next thing I'm gonna touch on is the teen heroes, New Warriors, and Spider-People.

I get what Marvel has been trying to do, multiple version of Spiderman, Venom, Spidergirl, etc at the same time. Spiderman has become less and less about Pete so in a reboot we'd go back to basics and quit watering down the market and wasting talent.

* After some time in his more street costume, if Marvel insists on making Ironman Pete's mentor, then by all means take the concept by the horns. I'd insist Spiderman make his own suit though, having Ironman give him his classic is just insulting.

* Venom would've already been a thing, and the symbiote would be back on Eddie Brock.

* Spiderman 2099 would get a title that would also peer into the future setting of Marvel.

* Miles, Spidergwen, etc. can go into a Spiderman Web Warriors team title spanning the multiverse.

* I'd save Scarlet Spider for later use in the main Spidey book.

Teen heroes and New Warriors would fall into the everything else category. Marvel's been attempting a lot, but the fact that Squirrel Girl is the new face of the New Warriors on tv is a bit sad when there's so much more potential in everything else.

* I'd introduce a new Nova, not Ryder [because Dick jokes are old], not Sam Alexander, just give us somebody new. Make it a female or minority even. Just don't make that the selling point.

* Bring back Kamala Khan... but make her MARVEL GIRL. Jean Grey can already be using the Phoenix alias.

* Cloak and Dagger would get a push.

* Rogue could be running solo before joining with the X-Men for a good run of adventures.

* I'd have the power of Captain Universe go into a teenager to make Kid Universe. I've always loved that concept.

* Hulkling would get a solo series.

* I suppose I'd have to give Squirrel Girl a book.

* I'd echo the classic Young Justice comics and make New Warriors about Speedball [for Impulse], Justice [for Superboy/clone], and Night Thrasher [for Robin]. Eventually the team would get more members...

Let's see that's F4, Avengers, X-Men, Spiderman, and the teen generation/New Warriors... I think next I'll tackle the cosmic corner. Right now I'm waiting on some delivery men and my new washer and dryer...

~//V\\~

Comment

According to Jack Nicholson, Marvel needs an enema.

Oh, wait, no, that was DC in 1989.
        Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

Correction, that was Gotham in '89.

EDIT: Somebody should ask Stan Lee his honest opinion on the state of Marvel. No F4, twelve Spider-People, unrecognizable X-Men, etc...

~//V\\~

Comment

Originally posted by -//V\\- View Post
            Correction, that was Gotham in '89.
            Correction to your correction, this thread is about what a publisher needs, and therefore naming the publisher of the Batman franchise instead of the city in which film starring Nicholson took place made for the more appropriate statement.
            Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
              Correction to your correction, this thread is about what a publisher needs, and therefore naming the publisher of the Batman franchise instead of the city in which film starring Nicholson took place made for the more appropriate statement.
              The quote though was, "This town needs an enema." DC is busting heads right now compared to Marvel, Marvel doesn't need an enema. It needs rehab...

~//V\\~

Comment

Okay, so I think I mentioned Marvel Cosmic was next? Since Nova is already mentioned in the teen heroes department, the only BIG cosmic titles are the obvious.

* Guardians of the Galaxy would still be a thing. Though now it'd have a Year One spin, which we never got with the current version since it's not the same team as the first modern team. I'd introduce the Quantum Bands being worn by somebody.

* Silver Surfer will also continue the Year One gimmick with Norrin Radd dealing with loss, loneliness, and infinite power.

Now this is where I might lose a few of you. Since before this post the title count was up to 24 books, we're now at 26. I already introduced Wendell in Falcon and the Quantum Bands in GotG because EVENTUALLY we'd get Quasar. Now I'm gonna just start naming off stuff you could potentially pull off in the Year One gimmick. Right now, the theme is still cosmic so...

* Jack of Hearts is a cool concept and with the right tone could be something of a cosmic space opera. Just needs to be modernized a bit.

* Rocket & Groot was too good not to bring back. Make this their adventures before joining the GotG.

* Nova Corps would further establish them as the peacekeepers in space.

* Imperial Guard would focus on Gladiator and a small group operating under Lilandra during her time as Queen.

* The composite being known as Starhawk would get a shot at a series and I'd try my best to get Jim Valentino to do covers...

* Captain Marvel would feature the return of Mar-Vell for more space based adventures. Big difference is he'd have a teenage son, Genis. If/when he dies Genis would become MARVEL BOY for a time before adopting the title of Captain Marvel.

My everything else category will get fleshed out more sometime later LOL.

~//V\\~

Comment

At 32 titles and counting I might get to 52 books like DC before too much longer. With the 'Everything Else' category there's obvious stuff like Daredevil, another X team, etc. in this category. Some of this stuff would be an issue or two behind all of the bigger series for obvious reasons.

* Doctor Strange would have a more inexperienced Doc still researching ancient artifacts and continuing his education in the mystic arts, as well as battling some of his greater foes for the first time again.

* Iron Fist would return and be a little more fast paced than his current Netflix series. I'd slowly build the other hidden cities and the Immortal Weapons but also begin building key relationships like his friendship with Luke Cage.

* Daredevil would be a little more experienced here having patrolled Hell's Kitchen for a time before adopting the red devil suit. I'd do things the Netflix series can't or won't go into like the Owl, Mr. Hyde, somebody like Scarecrow...

* Luke Cage would be an everyman kinda hero. After the Avengers form after his first arc's finished his entire neighborhood champions the idea of him becoming an Avenger.

* Ms. Marvel would be Carol's alias once again since Mar-Vell is around and Kamala is using the Marvel Girl alias. Her story would spin out of the opening arc of Capt. Marvel and she'd be more grounded to Earth where Mar-Vell would be more based in space.

* Black Panther would have a younger T'challa as an exchange student at ESU. He'd still be a Prince at this point but would use lifted Vibranium tech from Wakanda and his father the King to go vigilante. He'd constantly have to lose his bodyguards though...

* The Thunderbolts would be a group of reforming supervillains under the watch of SHIELD. Mostly characters taken down by the bigger heroes in their year one adventures. Sandman for Spiderman. Absorbing Man for Thor. Whirlwind for Ironman. Mystique for the X-Men. Klaw for Black Panther. You get the idea... LOL.

* Black Cat would spin out of Spiderman and make reference to Pete's time in the symbiote suit and the brief fling between the two.

I think that puts the count up to 40 titles. I'll get more cranked out later. Any feedback? Anybody?

~//V\\~

Comment

Still in the 'everything else' category, I'll likely go for more than 52 titles total.

* X-Force would happen simply because of the movie, and while I'm at it I might as well throw...

* Deadpool has to have his own title. And for that matter you need to go ahead and make the Cajun solo...

* Gambit because he's a smooth operator would also get a comic since his movie is still in development.

* the Invaders would get another ongoing and be everything the JSA isn't right now. It'd have flashback stories to WWII as well as the heroes adapting to the modern world where Cap is once again becoming a poster boy.

* the Defenders would be a mini featuring an adventure that takes place between the young Dr. Strange, the recently unfrozen Namor, grey Hulk [before he turns green in the Avengers crossover], and Silver Surfer that predates the formation of the Avengers.

* Exiles would once again be a multiverse title with a team lead by the AoA Blink.

* Agents of SHIELD would get an ongoing and mostly focus on the day to day lives of Coulson and Quake.

* Inhumans would need a new twist, what if New Attilan was simply another borough of NYC? This would feature older and newer Inhumans both.

* Black Bolt would get a solo title about adapting to this new outside world while still not being able to speak.

* Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch would share a title that focused on both of them as individuals while also team up on occasion. Magneto and his Brotherhood would play a big part in this series until after the Avengers form. Then the team my be open to a couple of new recruits...

That's all I got for now. Gotta get ready for this graveyard shift...

~//V\\~

Comment

Working...
                    X