No announcement yet.

The definitive anti-Hal post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah. Even if we must assume that Hal is the "Meat and Potatoes" type of GL (meaning he will just "Do what needs to be done" and nothing more, nothing extravagant), I'd still like to see him exert more creativity with the ring to best solve problems/end fights/save lives.

I mean, the ring is limited only by the imagination/creativity of the bearer, and that is only limited by the willpower. To make the main character in such a universe a guy that isn't creative or ever uses his ring in innovative ways... it's a little silly, and -- and I hate to say it -- strikes me as backwards after the forward momentum of Kyle in this department (though granted, Kyle might be construed as the extreme end of the "Creative" spectrum, maybe even to a fault).

Comment

Originally posted by Raker616 View Post
      How is it that a guy who has a limited imagination at best is the greatest at using an item that is only limited only by his imagination?

That's a big misnomer Hal was the most creative GL with a ring that i've seen he just chooses the most direct way to use his willpower during a fight. Hal could phase, create all sorts of different constructs, and do nearly the impossible with the ring during the 60's and 70's. Too bad I don't have any of those comics anymore so I can't do a great breakdown but i'm sure someone who's read those comics can tell you that Hal was very creative with his ring.
      Having read a lot of those stories myself (although I don't have them either) The extent to which they showed how creative Hal was (Pre-Crisis) only ended up showing that the GLC at the time were school children compared to Hal's S.W.A.T. team officer. The majority of the GLC was just retarded by comparison when it came to creativity and tactics. Hal having a modicum of both came off as a creative and tactical genius.

The entire GLC couldn't handle the big nasty threat to the Guardians of the week, but Hal could by himself!

Logicially, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense... you have 3,599 other guys pretty well trained and experienced in using the most powerful weapon in the universe and this n00b from some backwater sector shows up takes control and makes them all look like idiots, mind during all that he never once does anything with the ring that seems terribly surprising looking back on it... mind you the rings had totally different rules back then.

Comment

Well just like Inifinite Crisis made the GLC look like a bunch of weak heroes, sometimes some heroes are sacrificed to make other heroes look better that's just how it is in comics.
        "If at first you don't succeed, try Kyle again!".

Comment

Geeze this post is on the money......

Comment

whoah...

just.. whoah...

i really need to read that when i'm awake and haven't just finished work so i can actually digest it and write back because there are some points i agree with and some i don't...

so i'll leave it for tonight as i've only just got in, and write a major post back tomorrow

M

Comment

I just kind of skimmed a little of it.....no way am I reading a post that big...

But do people really place that much emotion in a fictional character? To actually "hate" someone that dosen't technically exhist?

Besides in the beginning of the speech he says if you are offended or just don't like what you are reading, don't read it. Couldn't the same be said for the comic too? If Hal pisses you off that much......read the Kyle book.....

Comment

Who said Hal has no imagination?
                Each GL's construct represent what's most familiar to him/her. Kyle doesn't put any conscious thought into making every construct look like something out of Star Wars, it just simply forms as what first comes to his mind.
                As for Hal, he always chooses the simplest methods to solve a given problem. Quick, simple, and to the point. But I've never seen Hal hard pressed to think of something in a new situation. Browsing through my GL Showcase, he's come up with hundereds of creative, yet simple in design, constructs to deal with various problems. He made magnets, protective shields, replicas of animals, medical equipment, and even an intelligent and self aware replica of himself. I don't recall Kyle ever doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by HalFingJordan View Post
                  Every time I read this, I just want to go out and punch someone in the back of the head.
                  Oooo, donkey-punches all around

Comment

Will a moderator lock this thread?

Comment

Yo.

wat for?!??

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
                      Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

Originally posted by Limelantern View Post
                        .....no way am I reading a post that big...

sorry guys but I didnt read it at all.

I love all gl's
                        HUNDRED'S OF COMIC BOOKS FOR SALE! http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...ad.php?t=17568

Comment

Yo.

milksop!!

*throws a tomatoe @ Old School*

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
                          Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

Originally posted by Tazer View Post
                            Yo.

milksop!!

*throws a tomatoe @ Old School*

Tazer
                            old school catches the tomato with one hand without crushing it, takes the tomato and.....

next posters turn
                            HUNDRED'S OF COMIC BOOKS FOR SALE! http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...ad.php?t=17568

Comment

Originally posted by HalFingJordan View Post
                              Will a moderator lock this thread?
                              A moderator posted this thread

Comment

wtf.

Comment

Working...
                                X