What's YOUR Comics Code?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's YOUR Comics Code?

This is a simple enough question but I'm sure some fans opinions differ. Pet peeves. Must haves. A little bit of this or that. The thing is, what does a comic have to have or have to not-have to get your stamp of approval? For you to put down your dollar what are the five rules that would make up your personal Comics Code? Go into as much detail as you want, put them in any order, etc. but... DISCUSS!

I'm not sure if I can get five off the top of my head. Here goes though...

1.) Good consistent artwork. If an artist can't draw a hero's symbol right half the time or make the character look the same on page 3 as he/she/it does on page 8 then I'm not wasting my money.

2.) ANYTHING created or co-created by Steve Ditko or Jack Kirby MUST be showcased appropriately. I haven't touched a Spiderman comic in years. And being as deep as we are now with a line wide reboot at DC and an additional relaunch some five years later... you'd THINK by now we'd have got a Question comic or something of a mini series or maxi series featuring New Gods. And poor Guardian can't get any respect in the comics OR on tv...

3.) Big changes to status quo in a monthly series have 3 issues to keep my interest.

4.) The source material can never be forgotten. If it's a reboot, or a new legacy being born, the comics have to stay true to their origins.

5.) Gonna need more time to think about the last one LOL. Knew I wouldn't get five right outta the gate...

~//V\\~

I don't have such a clear code. I mostly follow characters through their stories. For instance, I have followed Green Lantern through every issue since the late 80s (I quit for a brief period of the late 90s, but made all those issues up).

I don't like it when a writer or artist is on the book that I don't like, but it doesn't make me quit because it would bother me to think that I don't know what's going on with the character while I was gone (like being addicted to a show even during weak episodes or following the home team through the losing years).

Beyond character mythos, the non-capes comics that grab my attention basically have to have a concept I'm really intrigued by or get such word of mouth (assuming it's something I would show interest in) that I feel I "have" to try them. Maybe a super great creative team would draw me in, but not if the subject didn't interest me.

But I can't point to one rule unless it's that I will follow Green Lantern until I am fiscally, physically, or mentally unable to do so.

Comment

As far as what I've collected, I've had the entire Kyle run and everything he's appeared in afterwards though I'm still trying to catch up on reading a lot of smaller bits. I collected GL from Sinestro Corps War all the way through the New52 around issue #6 or so.

It's not that I'm not invested in the franchise, I'm just not gonna get suckered into buying everything that's spun out of GL since Blackest Night. Blackest Night and all the tie ins was enough. I didn't buy into Larfleeze. I checked out a few issues of Sinestro but it didn't grab me. Red Lanterns would've got me if Red Guy didn't change so much from the badassery in Blackest Night. I did finally get around to getting the rest of New Guardians and Omega Men, just haven't had the time to read it all.

There's a few characters I follow though. Superboy [Conner/Kon] is another big one, and Aquaman...

~//V\\~

Comment

Originally posted by -//V\\- View Post
        ...It's not that I'm not invested in the franchise, I'm just not gonna get suckered into buying everything that's spun out of GL since Blackest Night. . .
        I totally get that attitude too and when it comes to most regular books I'd pretty much take the approach of reading what appeals to me.

I've just never viewed comics like that. If I ever quit GL again it will mean I'm quitting buying new comics altogether. My comic reading and collecting has always been centered around GL. I now follow other characters the same way (Superman, Harley Quinn, basically Batman), but I wouldn't say start reading Cyborg or Blue Beetle next week if some super team joined the book because I don't care about those characters.

There are some movie franchises like that too. The only way I could imagine not seeing the next James Bond, Star Trek, or Friday the 13th movie is if they so obviously betrayed the core concept that it was unrecognizable. But changes in cast or creative control wouldn't affect me seeing it.
        Space Cop
        The Dandy
        Last edited by Space Cop; 06-08-2017, 05:44 PM.

Comment

I am a firm believer that publishers avoided status quo changes for good reason. You always end up reverting back to basics anyway. I'm too old and too wary to stick around with a comic that is betraying it's foundations for quick sales. Clone Saga, Superman Blue/Red, Parallax, teenage Tony Stark, Azrael Batman, Artemis WW, Mogo as base with no Guardians, replacement heroes in general...all of that makes me groan and head for the hills now.

I HATE stories with the ol' "battle inside the mind of" schtick. Hero having some kind of dream issue and different aspects of their personality battling it out in old costumes. Hulk used to be nefarious for it. Daredveil has done it.

I need to have a consistent creative team with consistent art.

I prefer a writer who has a beginning, middle and end in mind for his run. Ostrander was always a go to guy for this with his runs, and it made him one of my favorite writers in the 80s and 90s.

If you do a take on an old concept that strays too far from what the original basis was, I am usually not interested. At least in an ongoing series. Some exceptions for me with mini series; I LOVED Sword Of The Atom 4 part mini and it's 3 specials, and I liked that DC knew when to end it and bring Palmer back. Launching an ongoing series of Swamp Thing starring Tefe? Go f*ck yourself DC.

Replacement heroes almost never work, and just make me jump ship. There are exceptions like Wally West, some JSA members, but the number of times it's been done compared to the number of times it has worked is staggeringly different. This also goes for changing the race or minority of the character in the suit. Worst example? Making the Question a Mexican, woman and lesbian. A triple does of liberalism gone wrong.

I am all for updating and tweaking of costumes over time. I feel it needs to be done on a case by case basis with most of the classic DC and Marvel heroes. I also feel it only works when they stick with the looks of the classic look. Hal losing the underwear look and having the green end at his torso in a point worked very well. Wonder Woman with a black leather jacket and pants? Not so much. Also, just because you gave everyone armor plating in these video games does NOT mean it will look good in the comics or live action.

Comment

^I get that too. I guess I don't feel like it's that far removed yet. There was a time in Hal's run (admittedly not super long) when the Guardians weren't even around so I don't consider that too, too crucial. Mind you I want them (and we still have a few left so it's not like they're all gone), but it's not the core necessity for me. I guess I'm in as long as there's a guy called GL who has a ring, a battery, and can do the usual stuff with the ring (fly, shoot, make constructs). If I could stick through (or return to) Kyle'a run where there was no corps, no Oa, not CPB, no GotU, and a writer I despised, I can stick through this one.

Comment

I only have one comics code: I only read comics adapted from cult-classic Mark Millar films.
              Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

I used to mainly get comics from the Big 2, mostly DC, however in the last four or five years I've been checking out the occasional Dynamite series. Kirby Genesis, Project Superpowers, 6 Million Dollar Man, Green Hornet, etc. have all been great.

Finally got my fifth rule...

5.) Based on past purchases, anything written by an artist or editor is likely to get skipped unless it's certain titles. Didio hasn't written a single comic I thought was well done [his closest being his recent Outsiders work]. The only artist who's a half decent writer would be Manapul and that's because he's usually paired with another writer. Alex Ross can hit the mark on older properties but anything more modern leaves something to be desired. Dan Jurgens will always be *that guy* as far as 90's Superman artists go and I hate that his writing isn't any better than it is.

~//V\\~

Comment

if the art work is bad i'm out (unless i love the character(s) then i'll force myself into getting it, look at ION 2.0's run and you'll see what i'm talking about)

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

Anytime I see that artists' work I stay away. He ruined the return of Black Bolt in the pages of Future Foundation for me LOL.

~//V\\~

Comment

Working...
                    X