No announcement yet.

Shot In The Arm: CYBORG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I refuse to believe ANY character is just people furniture in comics. Sure characters like Cyborg and Kilowog make fine additions to teams, but even Kilowog has had stories where he was the star. The thing with Kilowog, like the Thing over at Marvel, he'll always be attached to his team. They completely took 'Borg from one team where he's been developed for decades and put him into the League. The character's whole foundation is wrong now.

As far as always parading him around with a faceplate.... do you read the comics? One of the things I CAN say is good about the title right now is the art in the latest issue. Anyway... Vic can hide his robotic appearance now and appear human. I think he's even done this in the cartoons [but my first experience with the power was using his Stone alias as a villain].

Also the villain of the current arc, Anomaly, isn't bad. The writer is just really horrible about just describing what a character is feeling or whats going on. It's like reading Cyborg on a horribly scripted Broadway show. And the characters who've been appearing as villains are as horrible as the ones from the cancelled New52 Static series. H8 Bit... seriously? A white female version of Cy called 'Variant'? Man... that's just original as it gets.

EDIT: SPOILERS for the current issue.... but barely anybody's reading it so...

Cyborg's boom tubes have been a little crazy lately and when he finally returns to Detroit he finds out he's been gone for six months. If this series doesn't immediately effect the JL title in SOME way... then Cyborg's title clearly doesn't even matter to DC.

~//V\\~
    Ωmega Man
    Guardian of the Universe
    Last edited by Ωmega Man; 06-01-2017, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Cyborg has had the ability to turn human for two years now, regenerate his body parts, and oh yea he even has a dick and has had sex in the book. Cyborg needs a better writer, point blank. He can be a top tier character if given the right creative team. Keep Will Conrad on art, but John Semper has to go.

Comment

Originally posted by -//V\\- View Post

Cyborg's boom tubes have been a little crazy lately and when he finally returns to Detroit he finds out he's been gone for six months. If this series doesn't immediately effect the JL title in SOME way... then Cyborg's title clearly doesn't even matter to DC.

~//V\\~
        As terrible as the Justice League title is now, I prefer that it's not referenced at all.

Comment

The last few issues are an improvement over how Hitch has handled the characters. And the JLoA comic is surprisingly better than I thought it would be. I still just hate that Lobo is on the team. I'm glad classic Lobo's back, but he doesn't need to be in a League. It [Cy being gone for 6 months] maybe doesn't have to get handled in the JL title, but perhaps somebody can mention it somewhere. A *founding* League member goes off the grid for six months.... NOBODY should bat an eyelash at that.

I'm still catching up on Cyborg, the last two monthlies I've only got an issue here and there. If any of the issues had terrible art it's an easier pass. The dialogue in the current arc is horrible though so I don't know if I'll keep checking it out.

~//V\\~

Comment

Pre-Rebirth, Aquaman went off the grid for 6 months and it wasn't addressed in the JL book. Superman and his power loss wasn't addressed or mentioned in JL either. It's not that big of a deal to me whether it is or not though.

Josh Williamson has been killing it on Flash, I'd like for him to be the writer on Cyborg. Not John Semper or David Walker.

Comment

DC should open the floodgates for creators to pitch Cyborg and put a fat check in front of them to motivate them. There are incredible stories out there waiting to be told, it's just the creators capable of telling them aren't saying anything with what DC is offering.

Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman are on another level of course. They're the icons. However, the REST of the League [GL, Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg] should all be on the same level. Flash broke into the Top 25 Comics of the Month with the Button crossover and even before that the character was doing well by the numbers. If DC has the brains to make one League member's book outstanding there's no reason they shouldn't be trying harder with the rest of them. At the very least the lot of them should be in the Top 50 of the Month....

~//V\\~

Comment

I refuse to believe ANY character is just people furniture in comics. Sure characters like Cyborg and Kilowog make fine additions to teams, but even Kilowog has had stories where he was the star.
                He was intended to fill a certain role, and now he is being expected to fill another role he isn't equipped to fill, and hasn't been prepared properly for. Putting Cyborg out as lead of anything (comic, cartoon, movie) isn't likely going to work. Not only does the character's world need work and building, the character itself also does.

As far as always parading him around with a faceplate.... do you read the comics? One of the things I CAN say is good about the title right now is the art in the latest issue. Anyway... Vic can hide his robotic appearance now and appear human. I think he's even done this in the cartoons [but my first experience with the power was using his Stone alias as a villain].
                Yes, I have read some of his comics. It's good he's able to transform back into a regular looking person, however, he should also look cool WHILE he is "Cyborg" fighting villains and whatnot. If Hal Jordan wore a cardboard box when he transformed in Green Lantern, I can't say for sure, but I suspect the character wouldn't have caught on. If Superman went out with just underwear and a bow tie on, same thing. Cyborg has been seen looking like a toaster, a trashcan, and an oversized astronaut:

Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Green Lantern, Spawn, Wonder Woman ... They all look cool. Cyborg, in my opinion, does not. He should have an inspiring visual as a hero. Cyborg has never had this, in my opinion. I find the metal suit, face plate, and excessive girth unappealing, and while I can't speak for anyone else, I have seen numerous, numerous people feel the same way. I still believe it would behoove the character for his entire visual to be revamped.

Whether he can have sex with other robots or not, no one is going to want to go around like Cyborg, so the audience is going to have a disconnect with him. At least Spawn is a really strong visual, so people will at least think, "Wow, that guy looks cool!" despite the character being freakish and deformed under the suit (that is, when he IS freakish and deformed). Similar to how they do for, say, Scorpion from Mortal Kombat.
                Star-Lantern
                Weaponer of Qward
                Last edited by Star-Lantern; 06-02-2017, 07:15 AM.
                ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

What kind of visual are you wanting? Something like Smallville Cyborg?

EDIT: I DO agree the all chrome look needs a little more color than just a symbol, an eye, and a couple glowing lights here and there.

~//V\\~
                  Ωmega Man
                  Guardian of the Universe
                  Last edited by Ωmega Man; 06-02-2017, 02:42 PM.

Comment

What kind of visual are you wanting? Something like Smallville Cyborg?

EDIT: I DO agree the all chrome look needs a little more color than just a symbol, an eye, and a couple glowing lights here and there.

~//V\\~
                    Holy shit! Can't believe that happened and isn't just some horribly lazy cosplay!

Comment

His cybernetics were on the inside...

~//V\\~

Comment

Well it looks like the Cyborg movie has been put on the backburner. Possibly in the phase 2 plans for WB's DCEU now?

Still, if his title is gonna continue... something needs to change.

~//V\\~

Comment

Was going back and checking out the last bit of Cyborg written by Marv Wolfman only to find out it was cancelled at issue #20 before Wolfman came back three months later with issue #21. Then the story was cut short at issue #23 despite DC soliciting issues #24 and #25.

When will DC right this wrong and fix Cyborg's history as a Titan rather than a Justice Leaguer?

Comment

Originally posted by Ωmega Man View Post
                            Was going back and checking out the last bit of Cyborg written by Marv Wolfman only to find out it was cancelled at issue #20 before Wolfman came back three months later with issue #21. Then the story was cut short at issue #23 despite DC soliciting issues #24 and #25.

When will DC right this wrong and fix Cyborg's history as a Titan rather than a Justice Leaguer?
                            Good question. Since Flashpoint he has been earmarked as a character that can even out the racial representation on the JL (doubtlessly pushed by WB who knew he'd be on the JL movie team and could also fulfill an Iron Man capacity)... and they don't care about Titans, beyond TV.

Comment

There's so many more characters they could use for that though. There's more black heroes in DC than just John Stewart and Vic. It's not unheard of for a Golden Age legacy character to be in the JL, and when DC was pushing Mister Terrific in the New52 he should've been there. Amazing Man is another favorite. I always liked seeing Black Lightning in the League rater than some Batman black ops team [but I LOVE certain eras of the Outsiders] and there's also Bronze Tiger and Vixen.

With Justice League and how they write themselves into corners and never have lasting spin-offs is because they don't mix the A listers up enough. You can't make a JL International spin-off with a bunch of B listers with big guns in the form of Guy Gardner and Batman. JL Elite didn't last because the only A listers were Green Arrow and Flash.

Comment

Originally posted by Ωmega Man View Post
                                There's so many more characters they could use for that though. There's more black heroes in DC than just John Stewart and Vic. It's not unheard of for a Golden Age legacy character to be in the JL, and when DC was pushing Mister Terrific in the New52 he should've been there. Amazing Man is another favorite. I always liked seeing Black Lightning in the League rater than some Batman black ops team [but I LOVE certain eras of the Outsiders] and there's also Bronze Tiger and Vixen.

With Justice League and how they write themselves into corners and never have lasting spin-offs is because they don't mix the A listers up enough. You can't make a JL International spin-off with a bunch of B listers with big guns in the form of Guy Gardner and Batman. JL Elite didn't last because the only A listers were Green Arrow and Flash.
                                Plus it's like... yeah Superman has caucasian skin (incidentally), but he's a freaking alien. From another world, another star system. Does that not check enough diversity checkboxes? Same with Martian Manhunter, and he generally assumes an African American shape when he's not busy being green. Why not use him, instead of Cyborg?

Comment

Working...
                                X