Superman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superman

We really don't have a Superman thread. That New Krypton stuff is over, and was bullshit to begin with. It's time for a change.

Action Comics? Hell yes. It's the best Supes title at the moment.

Superman/Batman. Sure. Why not?

Superman movie news? You bet!

It'd be nice if this beautiful thread wasn't polluted with JMS bullshit, especially since that has its own shitty thread. But, if you feel compelled to bash it, feel free!

Superman stuff goes in here.

Up, up, and away!
    The Best Comic Site Ever!!!

To kick things off, a review of Action Comics #893:

http://readrant.wordpress.com/2010/0...on-comics-893/

Check it out.

Comment

World of New Krypton is a great name for a Superman thread.

Comment

Hell naw! There's a reason why people are missing it.

Comment

lol, no one is missing anything, they just don't CARE.

and to get ON topic, I'm not reading any Superman book. I occasionally pick up Superman/Batman but usually bites me in the ass.

Comment

Originally posted by W.West View Post
            lol, no one is missing anything, they just don't CARE.
            Originally posted by Keyser Soze View Post
            I've looked, and I don't think Paul Cornell's run on Action Comics has a thread of its own, which is a shame. So I bumped this one, and thought maybe we could get a mod to retitle the thread "Paul Cornell's Action Comics" or something? Anyway, I'll BUMP this thread with a little review of the latest issue, Action Comics #893.

"LEX LUTHOR!!! Kneel before GRODD! You have walked into an ambush! And I have brought my biggest combat spoon... to eat your tasty brains!!!"

I think that just about sums up why Action Comics has fast become one of the highlights of DC's monthly lineup since Paul Cornell jumped onboard. And while every instalment of Lex Luthor's quest for the black ring has certainly been strong, this is surely the best one yet, and quite possibly the best single comic by Paul Cornell I've read thus far. The whole story is just utterly bonkers, and there were several moments where I literally laughed out loud while reading the story, both in terms of Sean Chen's hilarious visuals - Grodd's mouth totally engulfing Lois' head, or Luthor being decapitated by a giant spoon - and some brilliant touches of dialogue by Cornell - "I'm sure you'll go down well."

But through it all, the book's premiere attraction remains the stellar characterisation of Lex Luthor himself. While unquestionably still a nasty villain, Cornell relishes the chance to present him as very much the protagonist of the story, one whose charm, wit and apparently endless resourcefulness makes it all but impossible NOT to root for him. It's funny, and it may be wrong, but thanks to Cornell, arguably my favorite superhero in the DC Universe currently is... Lex Luthor.

I wasn't expecting much from it, but surprisingly I also really enjoyed the Jimmy Olsen back-up. It had a quirkiness that made it a perfect companion to the main story.

It's good to hear Cornell will be staying on with Action Comics through Superman's return past issue #900. And if the quality keeps up, I'll keep on reading. Best of luck to J. Michael Straczynski on Superman, but though that may be the book getting all the hype, Paul Cornell's Action Comics will be where I happily get my Superman comics fix.

In your face!

And how could you not be reading Action Comics? All you fucking read is DC! Action is easily one of the best current titles from them, which means you're buying loads of crap instead of something good.

Shame on you!

Comment

What Bruce said. Though in the latest issue Grodd eats brains, which is kind of a retcon, so West would probably shit in his pants reading it.

Comment

I'm reading Action, though I'm not sure at the moment it qaulifies as a Superman book, since so far, Superman isn't in it.
                Now you'd never call Erwin a "Wussy"
                Nor label his working day "cushy"
                But you might have to question
                His endless obsession
                With superpositional pussy.

Comment

And I don't want to read about Lex Luthor in a cameo book. Secret Six, Grodd, Death...I'm not going to call it shit or anything but its just not something I'm interested in reading right now.

Comment

I'm reading the main Superman run currently. It's certainly interesting, even if JMS is probably pissing off every known Superman fan out there. That's what he does though.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Comment

Why couldn't you get a Mod just rename my thread?

Comment

COMBAT SPOOON! Best line ever spoken by a talking gorilla.

Comment

Originally posted by Keyser Soze View Post
                          What Bruce said. Though in the latest issue Grodd eats brains, which is kind of a retcon, so West would probably shit in his pants reading it.
                          Yeah, probably.

Originally posted by W.West View Post
                          And I don't want to read about Lex Luthor in a cameo book. Secret Six, Grodd, Death...I'm not going to call it shit or anything but its just not something I'm interested in reading right now.
                          Not interested in quality. Gotcha.

Originally posted by Shingo Wol View Post
                          COMBAT SPOOON! Best line ever spoken by a talking gorilla.
                          Oh, I doubt that.

Comment

due to high cost of living ( and not a paycheck to match) supes isn't currently in my pull list!
                            Lishego
                            MMA Lantern
                            Last edited by Lishego; 10-03-2010, 02:21 PM. Reason: $$

Comment

I've checked it out, but it's not really grabbing me.

Comment

Working...
                              X