Where's Conner Kent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's Conner Kent?

Since I brought him up in another thread, anybody else bummed he got replaced by a 12-13 year old Jon Kent as Superboy? I liked the clone since his first appearances during Reign of the Supermen, collected more comics featuring him than I had featuring Kyle for quite some time, and enjoyed his appearances in Young Justice [the *classic* comic series] Teen Titans, Legion of Superheroes, and the YJ cartoon series.

My question is simple. He died and/or was replaced with an older teen Jon Kent for a time only to return in Teen Titans before that New52 series ultimately got canned. Again. But... what happened to him between then and Rebirth?

I know some of you are going to say 'we've already got a Superboy'. And it's Superman's actual son, and to some that makes more sense. I get that. But what happened to Conner Kent? If Supergirl and Power Girl can co-exist, surely Conner could pick a new code name and stay in the game. I'd personally make him the Nightwing of the Superman family and maybe throw him into the more adult Titans team. What about the rest of you? Where could he go?

~//V\\~

No love for the clone? Am I the only guy around here who LIKES clones?

-_-

~//V\\~

Comment

I followed Conner after Return of the Supermen. I even had a poster of him in the leather jacket fighting some tentacle beast in Hawaii, but I'm not attached to the new 52 version and if I had to choose between him and Jon, I'd rather keep son of Superman around.

Comment

wasn't he a part of that so called "event" a few years back (the one with Earth 2 where everyone thought it'll become part of the new52 but then didn't)

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

That's the thing, in the Rebirthed Universe Connor doesn't have to be the Lobdell'ed version. They put Starfire back on the TEEN Titans for God's sake.

I'd wanna see something different. Let him age up and be a member of the adult Titans since Jon is officially Superboy now.

~//V\\~

Comment

Originally posted by -//V\\- View Post
            No love for the clone? Am I the only guy around here who LIKES clones?

-_-

~//V\\~
            Superboy is my favorite character, first subscription I bought with my own money. After what Lobdell did with the character, I am ok with him being off the table right now.

Maybe the real version is locked up with Tim Drake somewhere with Mr. Oz. I don't know. I'm actually enjoying Jon Kent right now, I kinda wished that there was a merger between those two characters, but oh well. I'm happy either way. That's what back issues are for.

Comment

Originally posted by "Chosen" View Post
              Superboy is my favorite character, first subscription I bought with my own money. After what Lobdell did with the character, I am ok with him being off the table right now.

Maybe the real version is locked up with Tim Drake somewhere with Mr. Oz. I don't know. I'm actually enjoying Jon Kent right now, I kinda wished that there was a merger between those two characters, but oh well. I'm happy either way. That's what back issues are for.
              I thought he'd be a target for Mr. Oz as well. I'm honestly more excited to see those characters' stories play out than what's going on with this new label DC is pushing.

I just think there's room for more than one Superboy, even if he has to make a new codename. There's no reason with a Superwoman, Powergirl, and Supergirl all around that Conner and Jon can't coexist. Maybe with Super-Man in China it'd be one too many Supers, but when that book eventually gets the ax the clone should return. I'm kinda like you in that I like both Jon and Conner, I think Jon first appeared as a teen in the Elseworlds Son of Superman and I LOVED those books. The current Jon is a great foil for Damian Wayne, but I hate Damian so that doesn't really do it for me. I'd have liked to seen Jon between the ages of 5-8 when kids are really getting their own personalities and having learning experiences.

~//V\\~

Comment

Super Young Man?

Comment

I'd recycle the name Solaris.

~//V\\~

Comment

Could Conner's lack of presence in the post Rebirth universe have anything to do with what's being planned with LEGION?

I didn't even think about it until just now.

~//V\\~

Comment

You can hope that, but I would suspect the answer is what we've already discussed: he's absent because (1) New 52 Conner didn't wow anyone; (2) Jon is the focus for Superboy and (right or wrong) they don't want to crowd the market.

Comment

I mean... if they HAVE to have a Super-person.... he's available.

~//V\\~

Comment

Fine with me.

Comment

There have been so many versions of Superboy now that I'm kind of immune to them. The clone version never appealed to me based on his origins alone. Once they got away from the classic silver age version of the Superboy concept, which was the only one that counted for me, I don't think there has been any that I can't live without.

The current version, as the post Crisis, DCU Superman's actual son? Makes as much sense to me as anything. I say let that one ride out and see how much mileage they can get out of him. If not, they can always grow another Superboy from Clark's toenail fungus.

Comment

Once Jon is older he'd be a cool addition to the Legion lore. I think the only reason he's around is to be a foil for Damian, and not a son to Superman. At least from here on out. I'd rather have a Robin or Red Robin title with a sidekick I liked or a Superboy solo series again, instead of Super Sons.

~//V\\~

Comment

Working...
                              X