The Rest of the DCU...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rest of the DCU...

We all have our own guilty pleasure characters, morts we're fans of, there's even a few of us who are still fans of the Quality and Charlton characters that DC purchased. Those are all something we've talked about before, but what I'd like to get down to is the rest of the DCU. Remember when the New52 began and the LAST comic anybody ever thought they'd see again was Resurrection Man? That's the kinda thing I'm talking about. I'm only gonna bring up two that I really thought added a lot more to the DCU than people realized despite one not being set in the DCU itself.

Major Bummer:

The tale of a guy with crazy strength who wants nothing to do with superheroics. You could have a character like this in every superhero universe and it'd be a cool story. TPTB really should've set this in the DCU, but characters making fun of the genre really didn't get big until....

Hitman:

The only good thing to come from the original Bloodlines. To be honest... back then I didn't even know he was attached to that storyline. He was such a great character it really didn't matter. Some of the superhero wannabes in this are similar to those that show up in Major Bummer. With Hitman, he was just the best guns & ammo guy DC had for this generation. He had that little bit of an x factor like Deadpool when he blew up in the 90's. Sure, there's stuff in Hitman I didn't care for [mainly the sodomy of a roofied Kyle Rayner] but there was so much win with the rest of the series.

Any other fans of these two concepts? Was there anything else out there that stood on its own you'd like to see return? Monolith? Simon Darkk? Anima? Primal Force? Animal Man and Swamp Thing would've been on the list but they were already more integrated into the DCU proper. I even liked a couple characters from that Young Heroes in Love series that was only loosely set in the DCU. I think they got a 1 Million issue even....

~//V\\~

Originally posted by -//V\\- View Post
    We all have our own guilty pleasure characters, morts we're fans of, there's even a few of us who are still fans of the Quality and Charlton characters that DC purchased. Those are all something we've talked about before, but what I'd like to get down to is the rest of the DCU...
    Well, I already mentioned Bat Lash in the other thread. Does Vibe count? He can be fun.

Sure, there's stuff in Hitman I didn't care for [mainly the sodomy of a roofied Kyle Rayner]...
    Huh?

Comment

Yeah... it happened. Some Spanish speaking hitman drugged him. LOL

~//V\\~

Comment

Yeah... it happened. Some Spanish speaking hitman drugged him. LOL

~//V\\~
        Now, I'm morbidly curious. Was the canon for Kyle at the time or considered alternative because I don't remember him dealing with that in vol. 3 of GL.

And when you say sodomized that can mean violated with an object or homosexual rape, so which was it?

That's bizarre. I don't remember even hearing about this.

Comment

Sure, he was "roofied"...lol.

Comment

Good idea for a thread btw.

Someone in the other thread made me think of it, but the short lived Chronos series was pretty good.

What about the Mark Shaw Manhunter series in the 80s? Anyone else here buy that?

Comment

And yeah, what was that all about with DC bringing back Resurrection Man? I bought the first series but never came back for the second run.

The Ray has a few fans here, but that 90s series is always worth mentioning and getting some love.

Any other Deadman fans here? Little known fact; Deadman has only ever had ONE ongoing series in his 50ish years of history. He's had strips and backup features as well as minis, but his one attempt at an ongoing was cancelled after 9 issues. I am proud to say I even had a letter printed in its LC before it went to the comic rack in the sky.

Comment

If you want REAL morts, anyone remember Spiral Zone? Carmine Infantino worked on it so I got tricked into that.

Sonic Disruptors? The US military vs the United States of rock and roll?

I always liked odball war titles. Creature Commandos, GI Combat, or Unknown Soldier (Ennis did a GREAT mini series revamping him)?

On a GL related note, Darkstars wasn't bad.

I tried Frankenstein agent of SHADE, but it didnt click with me. The concept was frigging brilliant though. I wish the execution was better.

Extreme Justice. I am embarrassed to admit it, but I bought every issue of that rag.

Comment

Major Bummer and Hitman are both concepts though I think they could bring back in the current universe.

But don't get me wrong. I'm a HUGE fan of Deadman, any iteration of Manhunter, the 90's Ray, Extreme Justice...

And I vaguely remember something about Sonic Disruptors. One of the worst ideas for a story ever conceived. LOL

~//V\\~

Comment

Slash Maraud?

Comment

I don't DISlike Deadman

Comment

Originally posted by Booster Beetle View Post
                        I don't DISlike Deadman
                        Ditto. I probably wouldn't pick up a series, but I liked his mini in Action Comics Weekly and I don't mind when he's on a team or crossing over to one of the books I am reading.

Comment

I'd love a Deadman series, just not 'Quantum Leap' in the DCU. They missed a big opportunity not doing something more with him after his comeback in Brightest Day.

Of the guns and ammo characters I *think* Hitman had the most success. Now with Grifter back in a Wildstorm universe I can't root for him to be 'that guy.' And it looks like the new Vigilante series wasn't even worth promoting beyond the initial release statement and creator interview.

~//V\\~
                          Ωmega Man
                          Guardian of the Universe
                          Last edited by Ωmega Man; 07-08-2017, 05:43 PM.

Comment

LOL I can't believe I forgot how hard Geoff and company were pushing Vibe to be relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by W.West View Post
                              LOL I can't believe I forgot how hard Geoff and company were pushing Vibe to be relevant.
                              I kinda dig him on the Flash tv series , but mostly because he was entertaining as the tech guy and the geek with all the references and ability to name super villains. Can't really make that a monthly comic though.

Unless there was a comic about one of the branches of STAR Labs. Has it ever had it's own one shot or mini or anything? I know the Science Police have...

~//V\\~

Comment

Working...
                              X