No announcement yet.

The Green Lantern by Grant Morrison and Liam Sharp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superman appears in multiple titles, and has for the better part of his 80+ year history kept his job at the Daily Planet despite being on countless adventures on and off world. It wouldn't be hard to tell an Earth based story with Hal more often. I blame it mostly on writers being too lazy to develop a good supporting cast for more than 3 issues.

And if Hal isn't going to be on Earth, DC needs to let another hero or two take up residence in Coast City. Otherwise bringing it back was pointless.

Comment

• ^Yeah, reporters are a pretty good job as far as being able to just be gone without excuse. They more or less set their own hours (not entirely) and with a certain seniority even more so. But Kyle probably had just about the best job (at-home, freelance artist) for just going awol.

Comment

• GREEN LANTERN SEASON TWO #3
        written by GRANT MORRISON
        art and cover by LIAM SHARP
        variant cover by SCOTT WILLIAMS

Grant Morrison and Liam Sharp continue their master class in comic book entertainment as Hal Jordan remains grounded on Earth by the Young Guardians. But when U.S. Air Force general “Herc” Stone reenlists “Highball” Jordan for a mission to locate his missing pilots, including Hal’s ex Cowgirl, Jordan discovers an alien presence more dangerous than any stormy relationship!

ON SALE 04.08.20
        $3.99 US | 3 OF 12 | 32 PAGES
        FC | DC
        This issue will ship with two covers.
        Please see the order form for details.

Comment

• Oh wow, Morrison is actually addressing the Cowgirl situation? That's neat.

Comment

• DC has cut the second half of the Morrison/Sharp GL run down to 8 issues:

Comment

• ^Sad, but I like Sharp’s positivity. I don’t think many of us expected it to reach a third “season” anyway.

Comment

• Yeah, the way I see it, getting Season 2 at all was a gift.

Comment

• That is unfortunate, I wonder how the series will be collected. I guess the Blackstars stuff could be a $10 trade, and release all 8 of season 2 in one volume. Splitting up season one like that is kinda weird, they did it with Doomsday Clock too.

Comment

• I'm not a fan of "love letters" to characters. I don't want a protagonist to be oh-so perfect. That's Silver Age fanboy stuff. In television, it went out with Jack Lord.

This happened in Gunsmoke during the color episodes, and it had something to do with the decline of the show. The star became perfect, and there's nothing you can do with that. Director Joseph Sargent discusses it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wv38VTv8Xk
                    Trey Strain
                    Guardian of the Universe
                    Last edited by Trey Strain; 01-23-2020, 03:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by buffalorock View Post
                      I would think the astronaut job from Earth One would be a more logical next step from an atmospheric pilot.

Hal's job should be pushing frontiers, not burning rubber for people's entertainment.
                      Hal is "so great" that he can't be a "mere" race car driver.

OK

I'm hearing a song in my head. "What if Hal was one of us? Just a slob like all of us?"
                      Trey Strain
                      Guardian of the Universe
                      Last edited by Trey Strain; 01-23-2020, 03:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                        ^Yeah, reporters are a pretty good job as far as being able to just be gone without excuse. They more or less set their own hours (not entirely) and with a certain seniority even more so. But Kyle probably had just about the best job (at-home, freelance artist) for just going awol.
                        I used to be a reporter, in my first job. And that is nonsense. They want to know where you are ALL THE TIME.
                        Trey Strain
                        Guardian of the Universe
                        Last edited by Trey Strain; 01-23-2020, 03:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                          I used to be a reporter, in my first job. And that is nonsense. They want to know where you are ALL THE TIME.
                          Well, I'm sure they're all different, but that's what my mother used to say about the local paper (for Trenton, NJ), where she worked for over twenty years. The senior reporters could have an assignment and basically be gone all day as long as they made the deadline. They didn't particularly have to show up at 9 and clock out at 4 as long as they actually handed in the material.

Still, there's fewer people who are witnessing you than the thousands directly witnessing race car drivers throughout Friday-Sunday. I'm not saying it's perfect (like Kyle's job), but I'd buy that Perry doesn't really ask where Clark is every minute more than I would Hal just leaving without being noticed during a four-hour race being televised and watched by thousands in attendance.

Comment

Well, I'm sure they're all different, but that's what my mother used to say about the local paper (for Trenton, NJ), where she worked for over twenty years. The senior reporters could have an assignment and basically be gone all day as long as they made the deadline. They didn't particularly have to show up at 9 and clock out at 4 as long as they actually handed in the material.

Still, there's fewer people who are witnessing you than the thousands directly witnessing race car drivers throughout Friday-Sunday. I'm not saying it's perfect (like Kyle's job), but I'd buy that Perry doesn't really ask where Clark is every minute more than I would Hal just leaving without being noticed during a four-hour race being televised and watched by thousands in attendance.
                            Your mother's time was probably before cell phones existed. You can't hide from the editors now.

If Hal is in a race, which is only for a few hours every few weeks, John or Guy can handle the situation. This is a non-issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                              Your mother's time was probably before cell phones existed. You can't hide from the editors now.
                              That is true. Her last year in it was like 2000. Of course, it doesn't matter right now because Clark just outed himself to the world in the comics.

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                              ...If Hal is in a race, which is only for a few hours every few weeks, John or Guy can handle the situation. This is a non-issue.
                              You don't really watch NASCAR do you? I don't any more, but I used to be a big fan.
                              There are 36 races a year. For the race day, he's going to be at the track hours before the race. The two days before, he has to spend hours there in qualifying and practice. And that's for the guys who only watch the main circuit. A lot of guys race the secondary circuits too or other kinds of racing. And that doesn't count the interviews, sponsor requirements, and in-garage stuff they'd have to do. It's a very public job with tight time requirements.

No, I'd rather Hal stay jobless as he has for years, than switch to a high-profile-can't-leave job like that.
                              Space Cop
                              The Dandy
                              Last edited by Space Cop; 01-23-2020, 04:36 PM.

Comment

You don't really watch NASCAR do you? I don't any more, but I used to be a big fan.
                                There are 36 races a year. For the race day, he's going to be at the track hours before the race. The two days before, he has to spend hours there in qualifying and practice. And that's for the guys who only watch the main circuit. A lot of guys race the secondary circuits too or other kinds of racing. And that doesn't count the interviews, sponsor requirements, and in-garage stuff they'd have to do. It's a very public job with tight time requirements.

No, I'd rather Hal stay jobless as he has for years, than switch to a high-profile-can't-leave job like that.
                                Yeah, yeah. Hal needs to be available 24/7, even though there are SIX GREEN LANTERNS on Earth now.

Sure he does.

And don'f forget that his boss, Carol, can cover for him.

I think this is a case of "Hal is so perfect and great that he shouldn't have to earn a living like we slobs do."

Nothing good has come from that approach story-wise, and nothing is going to. Writing about a perfect character who doesn't have to do anything doesn't lend itself to story-telling. It's just fanboy stuff.
                                Trey Strain
                                Guardian of the Universe
                                Last edited by Trey Strain; 01-23-2020, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X